LegacyGT.com

2012 Cadillac ATS, ATS-V

I just checked it out. Seems to be a very nice car...but it is nearly as expensive as my (wife's) Jeep not to mention that if I am to add all the options I have on my Jeep, it becomes 10,000 more.

Yeah you can. You got a BMW wannabe. I got a Range Rover wannabe. Mine was a little more expensive than yours. And I optioned it with things for which Cadishack charges an additional 10,000 - like Adaptive Cruise Control and Blind Spotage Alerts, A/C-ed seats and so on.

Yeah you can. You got a BMW wannabe. I got a Range Rover wannabe. Mine was a little more expensive than yours. And I optioned it with things for which Cadishack charges an additional 10,000 - like Adaptive Cruise Control and Blind Spotage Alerts, A/C-ed seats and so on.

The options you mention I wouldn't take if they were free. Particularly active cruise control.

Some actual spy shots of the ATS-V.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/cadillac-ats-v.html

Spotted undergoing shakedown winter testing, this prototype has all the telltale signs of a Cadillac V-series product. Up front's you'll notice a more aggressive front fascia with larger air intakes and a deeper chin spoiler. The ATS-V also looks to be in line for a unique headlight treatment with LED accents.

The wheels on this prototype aren't the final design, but it is clear that the ATS-V will sport much wider tires than the standard ATS.

Out back the ATS-V sports quad-exhaust outlets, making a departure from the twin-outlets used on the CTS-V.

It remains unknown just what exhaust note will bellow out of those pipes as we haven't been able to get a peek under the ATS-V's hood. There is still an outside chance that the ATS-V will get V8 power, but the most likely scenario is a twin-turbocharged V6, displacing either 3.0L or 3.6L. Look for the ATS-V to boast between 350-400 horsepower.

The Cadillac ATS-V is expected to debut in late 2013 or early 2014 as a 2015 model.

• 2 months later...

Update on the car:

There are now 3800 miles on the odometer. I've gotten some pretty good seat time in it.

I really enjoy driving it. I find CUE easier and easier to use the more I drive it. However, it still needs more refinement. This version of CUE will never be as good as BMW's current I-Drive system and it will never be safe to use the touch screen controls while driving.

The engine is breaking in more. The torque delivery is very nice and linear. It feels a lot more like a NA than a turbo. The torque is available from very low in the rev range too. A little gas in the correct gear (or one up) at 1800 rpm produces immediate power.

The car is seriously FUN. A quick turn of the wheel results in immediate turn in. There is no wallowiness to the chassis. I forgot to say it before, but the car is equipped with a torque vectoring e-LSD. Basically it aids cornering and helps the car rotate, just like the torque vectoring systems on the EVO and the S4 equipped with the Rear Sports Differential. I have yet to have an "oh shit" moment in a turn.

There are a lot of power parts coming out for it. Hennessey is in the R/D stage for many parts. Pfadt has numerous parts available for it including a 450hp turbo upgrade. They also did 161 in the Texas Mile with their 2.0. No word on what upgrades they had on the car. Suspension parts are lacking at this point, but honestly the current suspension on the car should hold you over for a long time, especially if you get the Magnetic Ride Shocks.

Onto the bad, well maybe not so bad.

I really wish we would have gotten the memory seats. For a guy of my size (6'7" 300lbs), ingress and egress sucks. Having memory seats would make it much easier for me to get in and out. Caddy hasn't built in this feature yet on the models that are equipped with power seats, but they need to use the number of clicks on the fob to tell the seat what memory position to move to. It'd make life so much easier and is probably just a day's worth of coding for the engineers.

I also wish we would have gotten the HID and LED running light package. There's nothing wrong with the stock halogen projectors, they work very well actually. It's purely an aesthetic thing. The ATSes equipped with this package look awesome at night. They look very high end.

The car had some issues with the electric power steering. We stopped at a gas station Easter morning and when we started it back up we had no power steering. We restarted it and it was fine. Caddy was aware of the issue and they already had a software update for it. At the same time they updated CUE and gave us a $50 VISA gift card and a full tank of gas (87 probably). The car hasn't had any issues since then.

Last weekend we took the car down to an engagement party in PA. There were 5 of us in the car. I drove, my brother in law sat shotgun and we had 3 average size women in the back. It was a tight fit in the back seat for sure. I knew the ATS wouldn't be comfortable in the back for that many people. Part of the reason was my fault since I need the seat much further back than a average sized person would.

So would the ATS work as a family car? It could, for a small-statured family of 4. The new CTS sounds like a better choice for an American family. I'm going to give the new CTS a hard look when it comes out later this year. It will be riding on a stretched version of the ATS's Alpha platform, and will carry over the 2.0, but it is tuned for more torque in the CTS. Based upon my experience so far with the ATS, the CTS might be a lock.

The interior dimensions of the CTS disappoint me.

I agree. The current CTS has about the same front seat space as the ATS. The rear seat on the current CTS is only marginally bigger than the ATS.

The 2014+ CTS is moving up to a true midsize, so I'm hoping the rear seat room will be increased by a large amount.

I agree. The current CTS has about the same front seat space as the ATS. The rear seat on the current CTS is only marginally bigger than the ATS.

The 2014+ CTS is moving up to a true midsize, so I'm hoping the rear seat room will be increased by a large amount.

It's not. The 2014 CTS is actually rated at less legroom than the current model. Such a turn off for me. My Legacy has more space.

Archived