LegacyGT.com

2012 Cadillac ATS, ATS-V

We've known about the ATS for awhile now, but it looks like it's really going to happen. I can't wait to see the V model. Rumors are it'll have a TT V6 making around 380hp.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/11q2/cadillac_ats-v_on_the_way_will_get_twin-turbocharged_v-6-car_news

Added my review of our 2013 2.0t ATS in post #24.

How much? I may be in the market in another year or two for a fun sedan and that would fit the bill nicely, especially given the lack of any higher end German or Japanese car dealerships in western South Dakota. We've got a Caddy dealer though....

I hear they are having issues with it being overweight. I don't think I would have any interest in a 4000lb car the size of a 3 series, at least not a gasoline powered car that is. I could accept the extra weight of a diesel engine as an acceptable trade off.

• 11 months later...
Well, the pricing is out now...I have to admit that they have my attention with the 270-hp 2.0L manual - awd is definitely available on the car, and if it is with that particular model, it'll almost certainly be worth a test drive.

I hear they are having issues with it being overweight. I don't think I would have any interest in a 4000lb car the size of a 3 series, at least not a gasoline powered car that is. I could accept the extra weight of a diesel engine as an acceptable trade off.

Well the cts-v is 4100lbs so I would hope its little brother would shed some weight and come in around 3600-3800lbs. I wouldnt really call it a weight problem as the merc equivalent and m5 or audi are also 4klbs cars. Nice luxury cars with big power engines and safety features out the ass tend to have some weight/

Well the cts-v is 4100lbs so I would hope its little brother would shed some weight and come in around 3600-3800lbs. I wouldnt really call it a weight problem as the merc equivalent and m5 or audi are also 4klbs cars. Nice luxury cars with big power engines and safety features out the ass tend to have some weight/

according to autoblog, the ats weighs 3400 lbs.

Right, so, if the ATS-V can come in somewhere in the ~3600-3800lb range and will have good power...well, it should be worth a drive.

For what it's worth, I'd still be more interested in an awd 2.0 turbo MT than the V, considering snow and whatnot. If the aftermarket were to support it (which is a big if, I realize), then it could theoretically be a good replacement for the leggy in a few years. Only time will tell, I guess.

I'm sure there will be an aftermarket for it. There's a whole slew of people out there waiting for a proper American sports sedan.

You know there's going to be a Hennessey version of it and there are already turbo/SC kits for the 3.6 Camaro. Trifecta will do tuning of the 4cyl turbo no doubt. I know KW makes COs for the CTS already.

Right, so, if the ATS-V can come in somewhere in the ~3600-3800lb range and will have good power...well, it should be worth a drive.

For what it's worth, I'd still be more interested in an awd 2.0 turbo MT than the V, considering snow and whatnot. If the aftermarket were to support it (which is a big if, I realize), then it could theoretically be a good replacement for the leggy in a few years. Only time will tell, I guess.

There are plenty of companies that make aftermarket parts for all GM performance vehicles, hennesy and lingenfelter are two big names but they come with big price tags.

• 1 month later...

ATS Configurator is up, no pricing yet. (Though some pricing was previously announced, as noted earlier in the thread.)

*Edit* CarsDirect apparently has prices for trim levels and options. Starting prices (w/ destination):

• 2.5L:
    • RWD auto: $33,990

[*]2.0L Turbo:

• RWD manual: $34,615
    • RWD auto: $35,795
    • AWD auto: $37,795

[*]3.6L Luxury:

• RWD auto: $42,090
    • AWD auto: $44,090

With higher trim levels going up from there...

• 7 months later...

We picked up a 2013 ATS 2.0T 6MT last night for my wife. I'll post up some thoughts about it after I've had a chance to drive it a bit, since it's not my daily, but my initial thoughts are "suck it BMW"! :lol:

Our 2.0T compares very well to a 328i, but the ATS does it for much less. If you're in the market for a entry level luxury sedan, this needs to be on your radar.

We picked up a 2013 ATS 2.0T 6MT last night for my wife.

Which trim? I hear shifting experience is so-so, otherwise it's decent.

I'm still waiting for my local dealer to stock RWD Premium anything, so that i can test the tuning of the magnetic ride control shocks on this thing.

It's the base 2.0t, which actually comes pretty well equipped. I believe the only added option is the sunroof.

I thought the action on the shifter felt pretty good. The rags complained about the shifter pre-release so GM put a stop sale on all 2.0 mts to fix it. My only complaint about the shifting is that the clutch pedal travel seems very long.

I'll have to do more research, but I know our car has a sport and touring mode. I'm not exactly sure of everything it does at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

REVIEW 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T with 6MT

Price: $37050

Equipment of note:

2.0 turbo charged engine. 272hp/260ftlbs tq 1500 - 5500 RPM

6 speed manual transmission

torque vectoring electronic LSD

Front Brembos

CUE entertainment system

back up camera

3 usbs/SD Card Slot

3 stage heated seats

sunroof

tilt/telescopic wheel

steering wheel controls

bluetooth

On-Star

Sirius XM

Bose Sound System

17" RFT tires

electric parking brake

4 years maintenance free

We've had our ATS for about 3 weeks now. I had the chance to drive it up to Albany last week.

So let's start off with the important stuff:

Performance/Driving Experience

Our car is not equipped with the Magnetic Ride Suspension which is available in higher trim levels with the 2.0t and 3.6.

It doesn't get much more BMWish than the ATS. The ride is firm, but never harsh. The ATS just soaks up all the nastiness in the road and never complains about it. It turns into a corner like a car with a near perfect weight balance should. You can throw it into a corner and the car just complies. It feels very neutral throughout the turn. The stock Primacy RFTs are not a very sticky tire. I'd like to see what the car can do with a set of real tires. Feedback through the steering wheel is good, not great like E36 M3s of old.

The braking is proper of what a true sport sedan should be. The pedal has a nice firm, progressive feel to it. It really stands out as one of the better traits of the car.

Power wise, the car has plenty of scoot. The engine is just starting to break in, and it shows. Our car had 3 miles on it when we picked it up. It felt sufficient on the test drive, but now with about 1000 miles on the clock, the power is really starting to kick in. Mash the gas from the stop and the car will accelerate just like a Stage 1 LGT, but with more linear power delivery. The mags all say 5.6 seconds to 60, but it feels quicker than that. Just like people rag on the WRX beating the STi to 60, that's partly due to the STi needing an extra shift to reach the mark. The same holds true for the ATS. With a slightly higher rev limit, I'd expected 0-60 times fall to 5.4. On the highway, it had enough power in 6th at 75mph to pass going uphill. Some will still want to downshift to 5th, especially with a few passengers on board.

Early on, the mags criticized the ATS for having a vague, clunky shifter. GM in turn put a stop sale on 6MT ATSes and fixed the issue. I can confirm the positive action of the shifter. Gear changes are simple and have a nice compromise between being too mechanical in nature and being overly fluid. The shifter itself has a nice weight to it. If you can't drive stick, this is one of those cars that are very easy to learn on. The gates are well spaced.

My major complaint is the clutch. It's almost impossible to feel the engagement point. You just have to remember where it is. The pedal is also very light. I'd say almost too light. In comparison, my LGT feels like it has a truck clutch compared to the one in the ATS.

Interior

The interior is fantastic aesthetically. The piano black center console really is a looker. There's contrast stitching on the doors and dashboard that really look high end. The seats in our base model are leatherette, but to the untrained eye, it looks and feels just like leather. The seats on our base model are more for long range cruising than sport. Although I really did not have much issue moving around in the seat much on the on/off ramps.

The room for the driver and front seat passenger is fantastic. I'm 6'7" and I'm most comfortable a few inches forward from full slide back. There is also a good amount of headroom, even with the sunroof. I can sit in a very normal driving position (i.e. without the seat reclined gangsta style). The sacrifice is the rear seat room. I can still be somewhat comfortable in a position with the seat pulled up to accommodate a small passenger sitting behind me. The rear headroom isn't too bad for a car with a low slung roof line.

My biggest complaint about the interior is ingress and egress. While I am a big guy, I always rub the steering wheel and B-Pillar when I'm getting in or out. I've also noticed people have trouble getting out of the back seats as well.

The cabin is very well isolated from noise outside. You can hear a bit of engine noise, but it isn't very welcome in this case. The engine is a bit buzzy. It's more of what you'd expect in a base model car, not so much one of the higher trim levels.

CUE

There is definitely a learning period to CUE. It isn't as immediately manageable as say the current generation of BMW's I-Drive. If you remember, everyone also criticized I-Drive when it first came out. Most of that was due to the fact that it was different than what anyone had seen before. CUE itself is pretty navigable via the touchscreen. The issue is using it while driving. You have to take your eyes off the road to really navigate CUE properly using the main info screen. There is a tactile response when you make a button press, which helps a little. After getting familiar with the car, most people will use the voice recognition as opposed to the center console info screen. There is also a smaller screen in the gauge cluster. One can navigate CUE via the steering wheel controls using this smaller screen. Overall I think the CUE system works well, but the touch screen and touch HVAC controls are just too gimmicky. The touch controls definitely need to be refined for future versions.

The stereo sounds great. True audiophiles will probably turn their nose up at it, but I really don't have any complaints with it. The highs are clear and the bass crisp. I didn't have any issues with reception via XM driving from Philly to Albany.

Exterior

There's not much to say here. I think the car is one of the best looking cars in production today. Our car has the standard halogen projector headlamps, which work very well. There weren't any 6MTs in our area with the HIDs. The HID head lamp cars look amazing at night. The LED marker lights with the HID package are very cool. The tips on the dual exhaust have a nice sporty look to them and the twin vertical tail lamps with LEDs look like they were taken directly off of a CTS.

Summary

Believe the hype. This car is a serious contender in the compact sport luxury sedan market. If you're looking at a CPO 335i or a new 328, you MUST give the ATS a test drive.

Thanks for the Review, Its nice to hear a review of the ATS from an actual person vs. an auto magazine. I have heard nothing but great things about this car and I will have to check it out when its time to replace my Legacy.

Post up some pics of your ATS

Archived