LegacyGT.com

List of recommended products

Don't go with anything less than the Porter Cable 7424. You can find them for around a hundred bucks on ebay, but they do typically go for about $130. CoastalTool has the best deal for $119 shipped. Definitely don't waste money on anything less. This is the entry level polisher if you are trying to get something done. Everything else is going to be a cheap wannabe with plastic gears and a short lifespan. I've had my Porter Cable 7424 for over ten years and have detailed hundreds of cars with it. It is an immortal machine. ;)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't go with anything less than the Porter Cable 7424. You can find them for around a hundred bucks on ebay, but they do typically go for about $130. CoastalTool has the best deal for $119 shipped. Definitely don't waste money on anything less. This is the entry level polisher if you are trying to get something done. Everything else is going to be a cheap wannabe with plastic gears and a short lifespan. I've had my Porter Cable 7424 for over ten years and have detailed hundreds of cars with it. It is an immortal machine. ;)

I knew you would be the man to reply! Thanks.

Any tips on use (other than don't hold the thing in one spot, Duh)? What pads and polish/wax to use with it? Do you use off the shelf stuff or the special formulated machine polishing stuff?

Actually, this is a machine where it doesn't matter if you hold it in the same spot. That is the beauty of the DA polishers. Let me put it this way... Would I let a 4 year old do this if the machine were dangerous?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/OCDetails%20Boys/DSC05420.jpg

;) That isn't a staged picture either. He can use that machine just fine and has been since he was smaller. I've got my 3 year old practicing with it now in fact. Other than it being heavy for them, on low speeds they do just fine. Erik is 7 now and he successfully polished and waxed my motorcycle with the PC a couple weeks ago for the first time solo.

Anyway, it is a really idiot proof machine. This is a more detailed guide on how to use it. I'm using Meguiar's pads on that, but there are soooooo many more options these days. Check out the pads on Autogeek.net and you'll see the options. It really depends on what you are trying to do. I pretty much stick with my Edge2000 pads these days, so I don't know as much about the other options as I could. You basically just need one for cutting the paint and one for applying wax. So read the descriptions and pick the ones that fit your needs.

I haven't been able to find anything off the shelf for polishes really. If you go to an autobody supply shop then you may be able to find some Meguiar's or 3M polishes, but not really a great selection. You really have to order online for most of this stuff. The Poorboy's polishes are really easy to work with. Pinnacle XMT also is a good choice, but probably not for Subaru paint. It tends to haze a little more than the Poorboys. Get some Poorboy's SSR2 and SSR1 and you should be good to go. SSR2 will cut most of the swirls and SSR1 will clear up any haze or do minor jobs in the future. In fact, they are in the pink and blue bottles you see in the background in that article. I've been using them for years.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Actually, this is a machine where it doesn't matter if you hold it in the same spot. That is the beauty of the DA polishers. Let me put it this way... Would I let a 4 year old do this if the machine were dangerous?

;) That isn't a staged picture either. He can use that machine just fine and has been since he was smaller. I've got my 3 year old practicing with it now in fact. Other than it being heavy for them, on low speeds they do just fine. Erik is 7 now and he successfully polished and waxed my motorcycle with the PC a couple weeks ago for the first time solo.

Anyway, it is a really idiot proof machine. This is a more detailed guide on how to use it. I'm using Meguiar's pads on that, but there are soooooo many more options these days. Check out the pads on Autogeek.net and you'll see the options. It really depends on what you are trying to do. I pretty much stick with my Edge2000 pads these days, so I don't know as much about the other options as I could. You basically just need one for cutting the paint and one for applying wax. So read the descriptions and pick the ones that fit your needs.

I haven't been able to find anything off the shelf for polishes really. If you go to an autobody supply shop then you may be able to find some Meguiar's or 3M polishes, but not really a great selection. You really have to order online for most of this stuff. The Poorboy's polishes are really easy to work with. Pinnacle XMT also is a good choice, but probably not for Subaru paint. It tends to haze a little more than the Poorboys. Get some Poorboy's SSR2 and SSR1 and you should be good to go. SSR2 will cut most of the swirls and SSR1 will clear up any haze or do minor jobs in the future. In fact, they are in the pink and blue bottles you see in the background in that article. I've been using them for years.

Cute kids.... Don't think I'm letting my boy touch it when I buy one. He is just too destructive and he's only 2.

Back to topic. I was thinking some of the Meguiar's tan bottles say that they may be machine applied. I think I know where I can find the 3M stuff.

I have the Satin White Pearl tri-coat, so haze may be hard to see anyways. Now the wifes black cherry (think dark purple) FJ will shows defect like any other dark colored vehicle. I know you need to see the vehicles to really tell what products to use. In general for a descent shape but never polished 07 FJ and a low mileage 08 LGT I think I may not need the SSR2 and maybe not SSR1. Do you think just a wash, clay bar, polish (by machine), wax (carnauba) or sealant would do the job well and last a few months? It seems like many of Poorboy's (or other brands) products would work, it's hard to just pick one polish and one wax/sealant!

Look for Meguiar's #83. That is a good polish and is something I used to use all the time before I started shopping online. In fact, here is a relative abrasive scale of Meguiar's products according to me.

#85 Diamond Cut = 10

#84 Compound Power Cleaner = 9

#4 Heavy-cut Cleaner = 8

#1 Medium-cut Cleaner = 7

#83 DACP = 6

#2 Fine-cut Cleaner = 5

#80 Speed Glaze = 4

#82 Swirl Free Polish = 3

#9 Swirl Remover 2.0 = 3

#3 Machine Glaze = 1

They don't list anything at the 2 rating that I know of.

Someone at Autogeek made a similar chart which breaks it down for most of the products on the market, but since you are looking to shop locally, I figure the Meguiar's list would work for now. I can send you the PDF for the other list if you want to PM me your email address.

OCDETAILS BLOG

NOTHING lasts that long on a daily driver. I don't care what their site says. Why on earth would someone make that kind of product anyway? Where is the money in selling someone a bottle of product that will last them five years with one application per year? The money is in making a product that wears off in 3 weeks and requires you use more to maintain your shine. Then you need to buy four or five bottles a year instead of one every five years. You'd never get any investor money if you told them you weren't trying to get your customers to come back more than twice a decade.

However, with that being said I suppose the product could last for a year if it wasn't in an extreme climate and was garaged most of the time. It couldn't be washed every single week and still last a year, but if you were somewhere that you washed maybe once a month and the temperature stayed at average at around 80 degrees, then you might be able to squeak a year out of it. There are definitely better looking products on the market you could do that with, but Nu Finish isn't still being made because people don't buy it. I'm sure it would work out fine and you'd just have to see if it really does last as long as they say it does. Nobody on any dedicated detailing forum I've been on will tell you it is worth anything, but they could just be biased. I haven't used it for awhile, but I wasn't very impressed with it when I used it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Just a quick question:

My father swears by, and has used Nu Finish for his 'once a year polish'.

http://www.nufinish.com/products_polish.html

Just curious as to what you guys think of this stuff, and how it compares to other like products on the market.

Exactly like you said "YOUR FATHER" and mine and lots of others fathers used this product. It looked nice but in no way does it last a year. Last time I used that was when we waxed a bass boat before a big trip. It's an old product, ther is better stuff.

Yup. Our fathers also used to use kerosene to clean their paint. google it. Car care technology has made MASSIVE strides in just the last decade. Let me take you back to the year of my birth. 1976 is the year that brought us wonders like the first Apple Computer, the first Laser Printer, the first VHS player, and Nu Finish. Out of those four things released to the public 35 years ago, guess which one hasn't changed at all? ;) It is really old tech that isn't made for a modern paint job.

It cleans the paint really well, but that is because chemical cleaners haven't needed to change much. It will stain the crap out of your trim too, so be really careful around anything that isn't paint. And don't try layering it because it won't work. And it stains concrete, so don't spill. Oh, and your kids will be born stupid if you inhale the fumes on a Friday when the wind is blowing from the South.

That last part may not be true, but since they started the ridiculousness by claiming it lasts a year, I figure I'd join in the fun. ;) LOL

OCDETAILS BLOG

Thought I finally finished my shopping with following items

- Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash

- Absorber

- Multiple packs of microfiber cloth

- Microfiber washing sponge

- Clay Magic

- Meguiar's Ultimate Polish

- Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax

- 303 Aerospace

- Plexus

- Stoner Liquid Glass

But after reading more review and recommendations I couldn't resist and ordered PC 7424xp and Edge 2000 pads as well.

I think I've spent more money already on my LGT than the entire 6 years I had my previous car.

Don't forget to get the Edge2000 adapter. It replaces the velcro backing plate and your pads will be pretty useless without it. ;)

Welcome to the world of addictive car care. ;)

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived