LegacyGT.com

List of recommended products

I'm sure just like me there are a lot of "detailing newbies" on this forum that get overwhelmed by the different products available in the market for detailing the car. It would be great to compile a list of recommended products available locally (Autozone, Advance Auto parts, PepBoys, O'Riely, Walmart etc)

- Interior Cleaner

- Leather Cleaner / Conditioner

- Exterior Wash

- Exterior Wax/Polish/Sealant

- Misc tools

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Carpet cleaner for at least the tan carpet, First one I have seen to work:

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m589/dwolson2/2011-05-01084737.jpg

Cannot see the picture. How about posting a name ? :)

I prefer:

Stoner's Invisible Glass for all your glass cleaning (safe for tints and never leaves streaks)

303 Protectant - 100% UV protectant and great for keeping plastics and rubber looking great - No residue or shine!

Flitz Metal Polish - For keeping chrome parts shiny!

CD2 Engine Detailer (silver can) - Makes the engine bay look new with minimal effort!

I'm sure there are more but can't think of them since I'm at work right now...

The only addition to this article would be Tuff Stuff for the carpets or heavy cleaning on interior plastic/vinyl surfaces.

http://ocdetails.com/html/basic_detailing.html

That includes the products I typically buy off the shelf. There are some new products I want to try that may be added to that list in the future, but those are all my standard items I buy from AutoZone. I wrote that particular article probably six or seven years ago and it is still an accurate list.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

The only addition to this article would be Tuff Stuff for the carpets or heavy cleaning on interior plastic/vinyl surfaces.

http://ocdetails.com/html/basic_detailing.html

That includes the products I typically buy off the shelf. There are some new products I want to try that may be added to that list in the future, but those are all my standard items I buy from AutoZone. I wrote that particular article probably six or seven years ago and it is still an accurate list.

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for.

What do you recommend for leather seats?

I've been over this with Tide and the moderators more than once. I don't pimp my services. Find me where I have ever done that on this forum. The links are for information. I highly doubt there are any vendors on here who can say they can provide information like I have been doing without pimping their product or services at the same time. In the more than six years I've been on this site I can count on one finger how many details I've done based solely on being a member on this forum, and even that is questionable since he knew me long before I was a member here. I'm not selling anything and I don't profit from my suggestions and I don't offer my services to anybody. I have a full time job doing something not even closely related and I only detail in my spare time. I have no other reason to be here other than to answer questions and lend my experience. I'm clear on the rules and I've discussed this with site leadership more than once and they know I'm on the up and up. Most people just assume I'm selling something because not many people will spend as much time as I do helping out online without gaining something from it. I'm more about education than services at this stage of my life. Besides, for the two or three members from Utah who ever come into this forum, I seriously doubt I'm here to profit off them. That would be an awful waste of time if I was just trying to pimp my services that way. I think you'd find me doing it in a much broader car community like the regional section of nabisco or something.

Anyway, I'm not a shill and I'm not here trying to get business. In fact, I'm not taking new business right now because I'm traveling 80% of the time anyway. I'm here to share information and be as helpful as I can to a great bunch of car enthusiasts. The fact I make money at this on the side for a largely non-subaru client base shouldn't factor into what I do when I answer questions here.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for.

What do you recommend for leather seats?

Off the shelf there isn't much out there for leather, unfortunately. If you can find the Leatherique products then those are probably the best. Stay away from Lexol. It reeks and doesn'twork that well anyway.

My favorite is one you have to order, but it is a gel cleaner/conditioner and it doesn't fill up the holes in the perforated leather. I wish there was something like that off the shelf I could recommend, but it is only sold online. Check for the Leatherique off the shelf though. pep boys and AutoZone are your best bets for it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Off the shelf there isn't much out there for leather, unfortunately. If you can find the Leatherique products then those are probably the best. Stay away from Lexol. It reeks and doesn'twork that well anyway.

My favorite is one you have to order, but it is a gel cleaner/conditioner and it doesn't fill up the holes in the perforated leather. I wish there was something like that off the shelf I could recommend, but it is only sold online. Check for the Leatherique off the shelf though. pep boys and AutoZone are your best bets for it.

What do you recommend for buying online?

Klasse All In One has no physical abrasives in it. It is just a chemical cleaner. So you won't see a reduction in swirls and scratches. It will clean the paint and prep it for sealant, but if you are trying to clear that paint then it isn't the right product.

The problem with all in one products is that they aren't always very good at each of the multiple purposes they serve. AIO for example is a great paint cleaner, but not a great sealant and doesn't shine as well as a dedicated sealant. So yeah, it technically is two products in one, but you are still going to want to put a sealant over it if you are looking for protection and shine.

The fact is, if you are trying to correct the damage on your paint, it very well may take three or four different products to do it. That is why people hire detailers to come out and get their car up to a standard that they can more easily maintain. You need one polish to cut the swirls and then another to clear the haze from that one and then another to perhaps remove the oils from the polishes before you use another one as the sealant. lol It can get complicated sometimes.

If you have a machine powerful enough to do the job, then you can usually get by with wash, clay, one level of polish which won't necessarily remove all the defects; but will certainly make the paint look better, and then a wax or sealant. Some people like to top their sealants with waxes, but I think that is kind of overkill these days. Seven or eight years ago it was almost a given that you were going to have to top the sealant with a wax to get the best shine, but that isn't the case with most of the newer sealants. They look great all by themselves.

If you are going to buy a leather conditioner online then I would suggest googling Poorboy's Leather Stuff. He has a ton of distributors, so you can get it in lots of places. It is a gel cleaner/conditioner and it actually works very well. Again, not the best conditioner in all the land, but it does the job and it also cleans very well. Its not easy to find an effective leather product which works well on perforated leather like the Legacy has, so I use that product whenever I run into seats like these.

OCDETAILS BLOG

As I mentioned in previous post, my Legacy is brand new (3 weeks old) that's why I'm trying to understand if I really need to spend 100s of dollars on cleaning products or not.

You just spent over $30,000 on your car. I would think you wouldn't mind putting a couple hundred bucks into maintaining it. ;) The good news is that with a new car you just need to stay on top of it. Here's what I would hunt down and keep on hand:

Tire/wheel stuff (Eagle One is my favorite and is available locally)

Carpet stuff (easy enough to find. Pick your brand.)

Glass stuff (also easy. Just avoid anything with ammonia like Windex. Go for Invisible Glass to be extra safe.)

Dash stuff (Armor All isn't as bad as its reputation from the 80s. 303 Aerospace is even better though)

Leather stuff (either find some Leatherique locally or hit up the web for the good stuff.)

Engine stuff (an All Purpose Cleaner works fine. CD2 engine detailer makes it shine)

Paint stuff (Meguiar's makes a new synthetic sealant/wax that just came out which looks awesome. $22 bucks at AutoZone. Clay Magic is also easily found at AutoZone)

There isn't much for paint correction you can buy locally. For that you will need a machine anyway. So if you were just to get the products mentioned above you would be running (by my rough estimate) less than $80. It should be enough to maintain one vehicle for quite a while. In fact, I'd wager it would last you probably a year or more. The tire stuff may run out sooner, but that is only like 5 bucks a bottle anyway, so not too hard to replace. I don't think it is out of reason to spend $100 per year to maintain the looks of your brand new $30K+ car, do you? ;)

Throw the polisher, pads, and polishes in the mix and you can add about another $150 or $200 to the mix. Those will last you much longer though because the polisher and pads you'll only have to buy once and the polishes will likely last you a couple years.

The alternative is to just do nothing and assume that a brand new car will stay looking brand new forever. That is what too many people do and it isn't true. Brand new cars typically aren't delivered to you with any reasonable amount of protection on the paint and zero protection on any of the interior surfaces. So at the very minimum you need a good quality sealant or wax for the paint. I'd probably recommend claying it too since I've never seen a new car without some degree of rail dust and IFO on it. So clay and a good wax will get you out of AutoZone for about $35 bucks. That is the most expensive part. Everything else averages about $5 bucks per product.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I don't mind spending $100s on maintaining and keeping my car clean but I am just trying to understand what exactly do I need and why.

I already order 303 Aerospace last night. Planning to order PC and pads from autogeek tonight. As for the rest of the stuff I'll head to Autozone to see what they have.

Went to Autozone to pick up rest of the cleaning supplies and came across [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T3KT-Black-Box/dp/B001UMZ07A]Turtle Wax black box[/ame], which looks like a perfect product for my Black LGT.

Has anybody ever used this product?

I've used it. It is fairly useful if you are looking for a quick, if not temporary, fix to swirls on your paint. the box has four bottles in it. Two black quick detailers, a bottle of wax, and a bottle of cleaner/polish. I'm not entirely sure if this has any abrasives in it or not, but my guess is the abrasive levels are very very low. The idea is to fill in the swirls with black so they can't be seen anymore. It actually works pretty well. Not exactly what I would recommend to someone who wants a swirl free finish since this is just masking the defects, but it will definitely improve the look of your paint without the effort of using a machine and actually cutting the paint.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived