LegacyGT.com

1.8t or bugeye

My GF has a 1.8t Quattro 01 and after driving my lgt for sometime now has the speed bug. would it be a waste to mod that thing by doing a turbo back and tune or should we just try to trade in for a bug eye ? Man that turbo looks way too small to go "fast"

My g/f has a 1.8t Jetta with a turbo back, tune (chip), and intake. It pulls decently hard. Never raced it, but it's a low to mid 14 second car. It could break into the 13s with a LSD and a real setup, but she's into stance. lol

I'd say look into a chip, turboback, and a TCU upgrade. AWE-Tuning has what you'll want.

I'd stick with the VW.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

thanks for all the input. that was my suggestion too. stick with the audi and try to get it into the low 14's for her. The problem is after driving my subaru she has the "bug" lol but im going to start looking into a decent setup for the a4...

thanks for the link. i had an 03 a4 and felt it was just too weak and the mods were too expensive and just not my cup o tea. im excited tho to see what i can get for power out of the stock turbo. does anybody know if just a down pipe and intake and tune will suffice or are the stock cat backs super restrictive. the clutch distance and throw of the shifter also suck compared to my ACT with LWFW and kartboy sts :lol:

Just a tune really opens those cars up. Exhaust just makes them even better. They are pretty high compression motors.

There was a guy I used to know, he had an FP Red on an older 1.8t Golf. That little bastard could scoot it's front tires off!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

thanks for the link. i had an 03 a4 and felt it was just too weak and the mods were too expensive and just not my cup o tea. im excited tho to see what i can get for power out of the stock turbo. does anybody know if just a down pipe and intake and tune will suffice or are the stock cat backs super restrictive. the clutch distance and throw of the shifter also suck compared to my ACT with LWFW and kartboy sts :lol:

I believe some of the aftermarket CBEs come with a DP. So no brainer...get one with a DP.

And yes the clutch and shifter is much different than Subs. The clutch is nice for DD. It's impossible to stall the car out. I hate the STS my gf has in her car though. While it's precise, the action is just very mechanical and notchy.

yeah i had an 03 audi 1.8t quattro and traded it in for my lgt because of the lack of tuning options and overall bolt on prices are much more expensive not to mention stock, the thing didnt even have adequate passing power. hopefully a turbo back, tune and intake should do it. she loves the swoosh sound lol and its been hard determinging the best bang for the buck too...i have been lurking on audiforums.com, is there any better sites or should i keep looking there for popular setups

I didn't mean to say that GIAC was "unsafe." I meant to say that APR produces the most power of any given "chip" for your car, safely. I ran APR software in my 99 VW Passat 1.8T for many years. It never had a problem and was rock solid. At dyno days with the local VW clubs the APR software always produce more power than the GIAC software. And APR stands behind their products. They build high end stuff that really works. Expensive? Yes, but it's so worth it.

I also had a 2003 Audi A6 2.7T with the APR software. Now that car was a rush! That was the only mod I did besides the BBS CH wheels. The car really didn't need much else. But the change in power to that 2.7T was amazing. The APR software in the 1.8T was nice too, but since that engine only made 150HP from the factory to begine with, getting it up to 200HP wasn't as thrilling as the APR software for the 2.7T engine!

It's just a matter of trust when you are dealing with an expensive 20 valve or a super expensive 30 valve engine. My trust is in APR.

thanks for the tip. I was also looking into their tuning software as well. It seems like a lot for an off the shelf tune but it should do the trick. Im gunna save some money and have a shop do the 3" cbe so i just have to do downpipe and maybe intercooler. The throw of the shifter and clutch is super long tho and neither of us like it one bit :lol:

Archived