LegacyGT.com

Wagon vs. Sedan

Hi everyone, first post here!

Just a quick background: I currently drive a slightly modded '04 RS and will be getting a second car for my wife very soon. We are planning on keeping the RS for her and getting a new car for me. I have been planning on getting a WRX wagon for the past couple years just because I would like something with a little more "pep" but also want a little more utility. We test drove a Legacy GT wagon today and LOVED it. It is definitely more refined than the rex and driving it was a blast. When I let her get behind the wheel, she literally let out a shriek of joy when the turbo kicked in. :)

Anyways, a few questions about the wagon vs. sedan. First, does anyone know how much of a handling difference there is between the two? I found the wagon to handle extremely well (seemingly better than my RS) and wonder if the sedan would be even better. As for utility, do you find the sedan to be roomy enough to accomodate larger objects? I didn't get a chance to look at the trunk space of the sedan or look to see if the rear seats fold down. My wife is an artist, so we will frequently be carting around easels and stuff. I personally like the looks of the sedan better, but I have no problems going with the wagon if it affords us better utility.

I expect the sedan to always outhandle a wagon, because of the extra weight and different distribution.

Sedan only has a pass-thru the backseats, but the wagon has more rear room plus 60/40 split backseats to haul really big stuff.

If it's going to be your car, your daily driver, you may regret getting a wagon.

Mojo

I keed I keeed

I found the wagon to handle extremely well (seemingly better than my RS) and wonder if the sedan would be even better. As for utility, do you find the sedan to be roomy enough to accomodate larger objects? I didn't get a chance to look at the trunk space of the sedan or look to see if the rear seats fold down. My wife is an artist, so we will frequently be carting around easels and stuff. I personally like the looks of the sedan better, but I have no problems going with the wagon if it affords us better utility.

Get the wagon then. The seats on the seday do NOT fold down, though there is a center pass-through about 8" wide by 18" tall (guesses). The first GT I test drove was also a wagon and I was very impressed with the handling. However, I ended up getting a sedan - overall I think they are a little better looking, but mainly because my wife and kids would NOT let me get a wagon! I do on occasion pine for the wagon. More of a sleeper and more utility.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say that the sedan handles better than the wagon. With the slightly more weight over the rear wheels, the front to rear weight balance is biased towards the wagon.

With just minor suspension improvement, e.g., adding a JDM Subaru 20mm RSB, and retaining stock tires, I've had sedans, with other suspension improvements and better tires, hard pressed to keep up on some really aggressive twisty turnys. Certainly on par with "improved" WRX handling, and noticeable enough to say WOW!.

Definitely sounds like the GT wagon is in your future. Believe me, you won't give up much if anything performance wise with the LGTW. Plus you can always get the rear license plate holder that says, "you just got beat by a wagon". :)

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Awesome, thanks guys. I really DO like the looks of the wagon, but I personally think the sedan looks better. I'm sure if we end up getting the wagon, I'll still come out smiling to it every day like I do with my RS. Plus, now that my wife is begging for it, I've been looking for pictures of it here...suffice to say, it's growing on me. :)

We'll just have to wait until we go this Thursday to run some numbers with the GM at our local dealership. Thanks again, guys. :)

Even though I have the sedan, I have to admit that the wagon looks better overall especially with some tint, a lil bigger wheels and some pinks to fill the wells. Plus stage 1, and then it's the ultimate sleeper.

Mojo

I keed I keeed

something like this (pic is before this weekends install)?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/DSCN3247crop.jpg

With JDM Legacy 20mm rear sway bar and Spec B Bilsteins and springs, I can assure you, it handles just fine. ;)

something like this (pic is before this weekends install)?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/DSCN3247crop.jpg

With JDM Legacy 20mm rear sway bar and Spec B Bilsteins and springs, I can assure you, it handles just fine. ;)

Oh dude, you are going to make my wife so jealous! It looks great! What kind of drop did you get after the install?

I definitely have no problems with the looks of the wagon and judging from what you guys think of the handling, I think the wagon it will be!

I bought the sedan, because I think it is a better looking vehicle and my wife has a 7 passenger SUV if I need to haul anything. That was my thinking back in September when I ordered my LGT. After having it for 8 months if I could do it all over again, I would have gone with the wagon.

Everytime I drive our SUV because the sedan is too small, I wish I would have gotten the wagon.

either way you go, the legacy is a great car

It depends on your taste and needs. If you need to hauls things a lot, or need the roof to carry bikes/snowboards/lumbers then get the wagon. Or a wagon could be a trendy thing these days. Cars like Toy Matrix/Vibe, Mazda 3, Scion xB, Honda Element, even the new Kia advertise themselves as for outdoor activities.

The sedan is my choice - as we already have a minivan for hauling the whole family of 5. The sedan when I get it, will be used for daily work commute or take my wife out for a ride.

My wife thinks the sedan is cool - said on the back it looks like a family car - and the front with the scoop looks like a racey agressive machine.

To me, the wagon still resembles a soccer mom's vehicle - please dont be offended if you're driving one, but that's just my taste.

To me, the wagon still resembles a soccer mom's vehicle - please dont be offended if you're driving one, but that's just my taste.

Having taken two 2000+ mile road trips with 3 or 4 friends, a box full of skis or rack with two kayaks and two bikes, I can't imagine life without my wagon (OBXT). As far as the soccer mom stigma, one launch, witnessed from in the car or from behind it, gets rid of any "but it's a wagon" comments.

On my commute I turn onto a 50mph steep uphill road with two lanes. Last week I pulled out about 50 feet in front of a fart-can civic and let it rip. At the next stop sign, he pulled up next to me and said, "Holy Sh*t! What's up with your wagon?!" I just smiled. :)

Oh dude, you are going to make my wife so jealous! It looks great! What kind of drop did you get after the install?

Not much....maybe 1/4" to 3/8" (but enough for my fiancee to notice). Further drop is available (15mm) if I went to the 'pink' STi springs, but others have said that makes the ride a bit harsh. The Spec B struts and springs I installed eliminate the squat of the rear end when getting on the power and there is no vagueness left in the handling.....all that with less harshness than the std. US setup. Firm and controlled now vs. a bit harsh and floaty.

Archived