LegacyGT.com

down to the last few bolts on engine pull

Bacically i down to 2 bolts. or none. im not sure.

i tried spilting the engine of the torque converter but the bottom 2 bolts are a pain to get of and i stripped on already.

then i tried removing the 8 bolts maybe 10.(which i did get) to remove the engine with the diff and all that in the front. but no luck. i can even get a split.

if i need to i will get out the cut off wheel and those last 2 bolts are gone. i dont need to save it. i just want the engine for parts and something to tinker with.

When splitting blocks from trannys that have been attached a while, I use a bottle jack against wood on the firewall and voila!, no muss, no fuss, and no curses.

O.

yes i got that. and the 4 bolts inside if those need to come apart. i just cant get the buttom two bolts. you know... the ones you gotta remove the axles to get toooo.

one is stripped and i dont know what to do. damn i wish i had a cutting torch.

• I Donated

Are you having this problem with the bolt head?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Eal6J4cqHD0/TR-M46X5zMI/AAAAAAAAAWo/BRU619NNUYM/s1600/P1040307.JPG

Try something like this on it. You will have to hammer one that doesnt slide over it. Hammer it on so it gets a good "bite" on the stripped head. They are called extractor sockets. I've used them countless times on rounded off drain plugs, exhaust manifold bolts, machine bracket bolts, etc. They work great.

http://www.stanleyproto.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=BOLT+EXTRACTOR+SOCKETS&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=J69X00&strSiteName=PROTO&strDefaultCatalog=PROTO&SDesc=10+Piece+Bolt+Extractor+Socket+Set

http://cache-images.pronto.com/thumb2.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.pronto.com%2Fimages%2Fproduction%2Fproducts%2F19%2F80%2Fimag029693ca37f4b1857c4a05015a89-1290526275_160x160.jpg&wmax=180&hmax=180&quality=80&bgcol=FFFFFF

If its the threads that are stripped out (whole bolt just spins without backing out), then try getting a flat head screwdriver or small prybar behind the head of it so you can pry on it while you turn it with a wrench / socket.

Another thought - is your car rusted at all? You may want to also soak the bolts in PB Blaster. If you can get a small propane torch to heat the bolts that may help a little as well.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

yes just like that. but its a nut on a bolt for the bottom 2 bolts on the engine. should work the same.

my problem is its hard to get at the bolt to turn it right.

i got some rust stuff and a torque.. ill look for that weird looking socket tonight at auto value.

thanks bunch

The Irwin ez out (same tool as listed in above thread) will work, as long as you can hammer it on.

They also make nut cutters, which is a hardened chisel point tightened by a socket.

You do not have to remove the axle to get to any bolts.

Are you using a 6 pt socket?

Hope you get this resolved soon.

I know it's as frustrating as hell when a simple job takes days because of a nut or bolt.

O.

i used a 6 point and the socket just cracked. the reason i have a rounded nut.

and why wouldn't you need to remove the axle. you cant get a wrench in there. i was useing a 6 sided with a 6 inch extension and a breaker bar to turn the nut.

ill look in to the bolt cutter too.

Suby engines are well desgined for the most part and most accessibility is easy.

I am "assuming" you are having the problem on the driver side. To give you more working room (though I've not had to do this before the pull), remove the washer reservoir,tie the fuel lines and water hoses out of your way and remove the EGR tube (17mm).

This should give you the room you need. I've always done mine from the top. "Cracking" the seal with a straight box end and the rest of the way with a ratcheting box end .

O.

• I Donated

If your 6pt socket just cracked.....you're not using good quality tools.

Are you using cheap generic sockets? What brand are they?

Try picking up a set of Great Neck sockets from Autozone. They have a set of 8 - 19mm shallow and deep for about $20. I have a set that I have used every day in the shop for two years now and I have never broken one. Husky / Stanley makes excellent sockets too. I would suggest against buying Craftsman though, because I've always had problems with them.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated
thats socket i brought was just some random one i had laying around. imm gonna try to the cut off tool now.

bad idea.

just use the extractor sockets. it will save you a lot of trouble down the road

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

2 guys can pick it up and load it into the back of an outback, but given the work needed to remove it, wiggling, pulling, sliding, lifting, all while leaning over the fender and grill, i would not try it myself.

• I Donated
how much can one of these motors weigh? can two guys grab ahold of the the intake mani and pull it out.

I would image that two strong guys can do it, followed by several visits to the chiropractor lol. And maybe sending the car off to the body shop after you destroy the fenders and grille....and core support

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

I would image that two strong guys can do it, followed by several visits to the chiropractor lol. And maybe sending the car off to the body shop after you destroy the fenders and grille....and core support

Lol

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums

it weights alot. and i pretty sure i fractured one bone in my lower leg haha but i got it out. grinded off the one bolt and unscrewed the other after removing the steering rack.

there must be a easier way to remove those bolts from the bell houseing..

now what to do with a perfectly good running ej25d phase 1 engine? my bro has a dune buggy that was running a VW flat 4 aircool... hmm.. 85 horspower to 175

^^^they all wrote that after i left my computer. haha it aint that bad guys. engines out and i can finally get this eye sore car gone.

as for messing the paint up.. the car has no fenders. hood, bumper or grill on it. the car is going to the scrap yard.

im young. my sunburn is the worst i feel right now.

i will admit though haveing another man there to hand the engine too would of been nice instead of trying to step down off the car.

i do not believe i broke my leg. it feels fine now. just a bruise

im young. my sunburn is the worst i feel right now.

i will admit though haveing another man there to hand the engine too would of been nice instead of trying to step down off the car.

i do not believe i broke my leg. it feels fine now. just a bruise

With all due respect (seriously, every bit I can muster). You are a moron.

Archived