LegacyGT.com

Stage 2 hell

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea, just give TurboXS a call. That's who is going to tune my car.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I just went on auto trader and the nearest one is in travorse pa. And its an automatic =/ oh well to lurking I must stay lol ill probably go p to the local stealership and ask if they can do a search for me maybe they can probably uncover something

you should check out copart.com. A LOT of the cars there are wrecked and a lot of them aren't. If you're pretty handy, you can rebuild a LGT to your specs. Some auctions require a dealers license. My car was rebuilt by y2kimports.com and it came off of copart

This thread ran wild ha.

I am having trouble with the multiquote.. feature.. but to those who suggested that I switch the coil packs, I have with no change. I understand that the car will not run as it should, and that a CEL was expected. This is why a tuning appointment was made for immediately after the parts were to be installed, driving straight there and taking it easy.

To the poster that suggested not to modify a car in good running condition, the car ran perfect until this install. I am not just posting trying to waste peoples time, and this is not the first vehicle I have touched/ modified in my life. I really don't mean to sound annoyed, but "junior member" seems to suggest to everyone that I'm a teenager just trying to impress my friends with civics. I expected a CEL, but for something such as a o2 sensor or converter, not a misfire that is causing the car to run extremely poorly. In retrospect I should have waited to put the new plugs in so I would know if thats when it happened, but they were easy to access from underneath (pass ones anyways) when the uppipe was off.

For anyone curious : Working 12-16 hour shifts this week, so progress will be slow. I have moved the coolant tank near the turbo aside and removed the airbox. Still have not tackled the injector swap yet (moving 3 to 1) to see if that moves the misfire. Hopefully this is possible without intake manifold removal, I'll see how it goes.

I'm not ready to admit defeat and take it to a stealership just yet.

HCF, can you tell us where you live, may be we could recommend someone in your area to help you.

Also what year Legacy do you have ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Did you gap the plugs to 0.029"? I didn't and ran with them at the NGK out-of-box 0.040" for about 2 months before I realized they were incorrect (didn't seem to affect it too much though).

How many miles are on your car? I didn't see it anywhere. Maybe unplug the 02/MAF sensors and replug them just for sanity sake (My MAF was partially plugged in after my install). Another thing to check is your throttle body to inlet hose for a good seal and make sure your airbox is connected properly with no leaks/gouges in the inlet tube.

If you can data log with a vag-com cable (05-06 LGT) or tactrix and romraider it might help pinpoint some sources of trouble better.

It may not be anything you did and is just pure coincidence. Try to find any fellow LGTers near you to see if they can assist in person as they may have better insight.

mike677 I think I'm one of 2 modded LGTs down here. I am the only ABP 5MT wagon as far as I know. The quota was a joke (since LGTs are not a very common car).

Yay got the multiquote to work for me!

Sorry I kinda skim read this but if its happening on cylinder three and give changed the plugs and its still cylinder three did you try just switching the coil packs? I had this on my dads ford where we changed all plugs and it ended up being the one coil pac that was bad ... hope this helps

Did this, thanks for the suggestion, wish this was the solution.

This should be a lesson to EVERYONE considering modification.

Which part is the lesson, all hell will break loose when you try to put 2 exhaust pipes on a perfectly running car? This is a mishap and likely a coincidence, I dont believe my vehicle should discourage the forum from toying with theirs lol.

If you are going to modify your car, make sure it is in good mechanical order before doing so.

If I wasn't clear, the vehicle being modified has, since my ownership until now, ran perfectly. Would not be stage II tuning a vehicle with a misfire?

I know!! I can't find one though and I don't wanna pay out the ying yang for a new one or even a 2010

Keep an eye out and be patient. I went all over the place and an LGT got traded in at my local dealership after they told me they "had never seen one come back"

HCF, can you tell us where you live, may be we could recommend someone in your area to help you.

Also what year Legacy do you have ?

I live in a Cleveland, Ohio suburb. My tuner is in Columbus, although I understand there is also a shop in Toledo that does Subaru work. (both a 2 hr drive)

2005 LGT.

Thanks Byron.

Did you gap the plugs to 0.029"? I didn't and ran with them at the NGK out-of-box 0.040" for about 2 months before I realized they were incorrect (didn't seem to affect it too much though).

Plug gap on the NGK set came at ~ .044. I corrected those before install. The denso set seemed to be right at .030 and I figured I would do more harm than good toying them.

How many miles are on your car? I didn't see it anywhere. Maybe unplug the 02/MAF sensors and replug them just for sanity sake (My MAF was partially plugged in after my install). Another thing to check is your throttle body to inlet hose for a good seal and make sure your airbox is connected properly with no leaks/gouges in the inlet tube.

Vehicle just turned 91K. I have owned it since ~57K and have never seen the parade of "cruise" and "check engine" ornaments on my dash until now. MAF was untouched, will check tonight. O2 sensors and EGT in uppipe were unplugged, but I have triple checked they are snugly installed with no damaged pins. I still am inclined to think that this would throw a O2/ MAF/ or EGT code rather than a misfire code, but I suppose stranger things have happened. TB to Inlet! You trying to kill me here?! I'll give it a look in the day light tomorrow if I don't work through it all. Factory air tubing seems to be in good shape, I appreciate the suggestion, would be very surprised if this threw a misfire code on a specific cylinder.

If you can data log with a vag-com cable (05-06 LGT) or tactrix and romraider it might help pinpoint some sources of trouble better.

I'm not one to ignore advice when it is given. I have been reluctant to order this cord because the tuner was going to just flash my ECU, and I really have no desire to play around with it as long as it runs right. But, I will look into ordering one after I finish these replies and hopefully give more information to diagnosis this beast.

It may not be anything you did and is just pure coincidence. Try to find any fellow LGTers near you to see if they can assist in person as they may have better insight.

I think it is coincidence, or something dumb I disturbed. But I am running low on ideas. I HAVE BEER! ANYONE NEAR CLEVELAND?!?! :lol: if anyone is in the area I would gladly accept a second set of eyes.

mike677 I think I'm one of 2 modded LGTs down here. I am the only ABP 5MT wagon as far as I know. The quota was a joke (since LGTs are not a very common car).

I think the phone I just got takes video, so if I can figure out how to post one, would this be potentially helpful?

To add insult to injury(my sleepy eyes almost left that is "inslut") I have now officially played with the injector plug enough to damage it.:mad: The plastic retainer broke, it seems to stay on there snugly but I would be very interested in buying a pigtail to replace it. Allegedly the dealer only sells the full harness :eek:

Thanks everyone, can't wait to see you guys on the road again! (Oh, yeah, preferably in my LGT.)

Also the manual suggests that these vehicles use a "dual-ignition-coil design, each coil causing two plugs to generate sparks simultaneously."

Does this suggest if the problem was further back than the coil, 2 cylinders would be affected instead of just 1?

Archived