LegacyGT.com

HELP! 5eat acting up (and down)

2-Turbos

Ok, first off, yes I did a search, and it didn't return anything helpful.

So here's the back story -- installed a Jazzy Engineering iPod integration system this morning. Everything went perfectly smooth, all the parts came out and went back beautifully.

The problem -- took the car out for a ride, and discovered the transmission is having issues. It will not upshift in auto mode, you have to use the thumb buttons or put it in manual and bump it. When you try to downshift, the buttons/shifter do nothing, it has to be put in auto mode so it can downshift on its own as the car slows. WTF is going on?!?

Did I somehow dislodge a connector on the side of the shifter that would cause this? I checked all the fuses that seem to relate to the transmission in some form, and all were good.

Please help!

Heh heh heh. If I knew......

Took the car to the stealer (are we allowed to refer to dealers as stealers on here? I apologize if not.) on Saturday morning. Their best tech with 25 years in the Subaru business took one look and went :confused: He had never seen this issue. So he zapped this memory, that memory, whatever. Nothing happened. So I left the car over the weekend and on Monday they called SoA to ask what to do. SoA said try bleeding some hydraulic line or some sh!t. So the tech started that, but went to a dentist appointment on Monday afternoon and went home after, saying it'd be done by Tuesday around lunchtime. I call at 130 yesterday, and they're like, "we haven't touched it yet. Call around 430." At 430 they say "we're still not sure. It should be done sometime on Wednesday."

So I'm climbing the walls right now.....:spin::soap_box::soap_box::soap_box::spin:

I honestly don't think the aux mod caused this, rather it's just a freakish fluke. I'll update this when and if I ever get my car back.

Yeah, the plug wasn't the problem. Turns out something in the TCM fried itself. Only took 2 techs and 5 days to find it. I'm not sure if it was a fluke, or if I somehow caused this. Either way, by the time all is said and done, I'll be $800 poorer and without my car for the better part of 2 weeks, at minimum.

Lesson learned here - when you're screwing around with electronics, unhook the damn battery......I know better, too. Not sure if it would have made a difference, but at least I could have eliminated myself as a possible cause. *sighs*

• 2 weeks later...
Fried control module was my guess as well. Sounded software related, since you could actually drive it fine, it just was without a brain.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Finally got the car back on Wednesday. Turned out not to be the TCM. It was the actual shifter assembly itself. There was a short somewhere. It was entirely electrical, not electronic in the least. Who knows, I'm just glad to have it back.

Nice! And interesting. There are test procedures for every single one of those wires. Glad they found it. Wonder what had shorted.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived