LegacyGT.com

CBE/TBE Decision - Need Help

shadowsports

Finally after more than a year of procrastination I am going to go stage1 and then 2. Looking at a downpipe and exhaust. I currently have a stock '08 5EAT.

I'm torn between going open source or just getting an accessport. Researching these now. But onto my real questions.

I've decided on a CNT Catted DP. I live in CA (SMOG Nazi HQ). I am already reserved to the fact that exhaust swaps will become a necessity when getting a SMOG becomes my reality. In the meantime, I was planning to do the CNT DP to a magnaflow or borla CBE. No other engine mods are planned.

First for me is performance, and second sound. Actually, the more quiet, the better. This is a daily driver. I listened to about 35 different youtube videos for help comparing exhaust sound and tone. The two I liked best were the magnaflow and the borla. Of those two, the magnaflow came out on top because I liked the shape of the "Y" pipe better than the severe "T" type bend of the borla. Obviously, the price of the magnaflow is also attractive.

Can someone give me a good reason why the borla at some $300 more is so much better? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

The Magnaflow isn't very quiet from what I understand.

If you want max performance and minimal noise, look at getting a 3" mid and Y and keeping your stock mufflers.

Otherwise, the other quiet exhausts would be the SPT, or, if you can find one used, the Bosal.

Cheers!

A CNT catted downpipe won't pass CA smog, just so you know.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

It wont pass smog but at least its catted. Thats what i went with cuz i live in the great state of you cant do anything to your car legally. And if u go with the magnaflow it will be very loud. So just weld in a 3rd muffler on the mid pipe to quiet it down

A CNT catted downpipe won't pass CA smog, just so you know.

Yes, I am aware of that, and will endure the change every two years. Changing out the DP and flashing back to a stock map is a PITA, but not impossible. This is what living in CA is all about. I envy you guys who are out of state, and are not subject to these requirements.

I live about 40 min from ERZ Performance (Subarugeneration). PM'ing him for the DP today. If he says I can get it into my backseat or trunk with the seats down, I'm going to go grab it.

I'm still leaning towards the magnaflow. It will be easy to bolt on and even at 2.5in will give me what I am looking for. It will likely go on first. I have a rear sway waiting in the garage too and won't have an excuse once the exhaust is off.

Before I sold it, I had an invidia catted DP on my car and made it through SMOG. Easily passed emissions and they didn't catch it on the tech inspect. Still living dangerously if you don't swap back before a test though...
Yup...

Coyote_Lips, Thanks! Did you have a CBE as well?

I'm close now:

After more reading, have decided to do the Accessport over opensource. I am not going to be flashing or tuning regularly. Car is going to be lightly modded, so an off the shelf map will work for me.

Accessport

CNT Catted DP

Magnaflow CBE

My complete set up at that time:

Grimmspeed P&P manifolds/crosspipe/uppipe

Invidia catted DP

Borla catback exhaust

AVO panel filter

Perrin TMIC

Perrin recirc BPV

Stage 2 road tune by Infamous1

I would definately go with the CNT downpipe, looks to be very well constructed and it doesn't have any fitment issues like the invidias did.

Yup...

Coyote_Lips, Thanks! Did you have a CBE as well?

I'm close now:

After more reading, have decided to do the Accessport over opensource. I am not going to be flashing or tuning regularly. Car is going to be lightly modded, so an off the shelf map will work for me.

Accessport

CNT Catted DP

Magnaflow CBE

On the contrary, if you are not going to be flashing or tuning regularly, you should be getting an OS tune from someone like infamous.

The biggest reason to get an AP is so that you CAN regularly flash and you can hook up the AP whenever you want. It's another toy to play with.

Otherwise, you are just wasting money. PLUS, in my experience and many others, the OTS maps still have knock... and not exactly an insignificant amount either. So you'd be paying more, for a feature that you don't use, for an inferior generic tune.

As for your CBE exhaust choice, bear in mind that the video clips can't really even be directly compared with each other. It's nice to have them to look/listen to, but honestly, unless everyone's using the same quality recording equipment AND playback equipment, your exhaust is really not going to sound the same. It might not even sound close to the videos.

From what I understand, the Magnaflow CBE is fairly loud. Hell, even my SPT v2 exhaust was fairly loud, and it's supposed to be one of the quietest ones! I ended up welding in a 5" round muffler into the straight section to quiet down the highway droning.

I'm telling you, like the other guy... if noise is of concern, don't replace the stock cans. Performance impact is fairly minimal, especially since you are only going to be "lightly modded."

yes thats true but i was recommending the AP since he would probably have it with him at all times, whereas u dont typically always have ur laptop when u throw a code etc. and need. OP you could also get an ebay dongle and torque app for android to read and clear codes fyi

Guys,

I really appreciate the replies. Everything that iNVAR said makes sense. With my geek background (and OCD), I could see myself buried in ROMRAIDER or AccessTuner Race. I've had an Innova code reader for over 10yrs. Used on my Jetta and Honda previously.

I will be logging. The new Accessport acts as a "pass through" device for live datalogging into AccessTuner Race. Otherwise, you can capture up to 10 hrs of logs on the AP itself and view them on a PC.

So iNVAR, I spoke too soon and will be using more than 1 map. I got an AP from Mike at Infamous tonight and will get an eTune at some point. MDKSDMF - You're point also well taken... I want the AP because of its size.

I also ordered the magnaflow CBE. The price at performance peddler drop shipped from magnaflow was too sweet to pass up. I am not worried about the noise at this point. I think we are all impressed by Itsme (Racer X's) OBXT. He has a nice exhaust, so I'll add a muffler/resonator in the mid pipe if needed. DP is going to be CNT catted, so once again I should have a moderately quiet setup. DP is on back order :mad:. Will be visiting ERZ Performance (Subarugeneration) next week.

Still stage NONE, but should be at least one by Monday :spin:

I would definately go with the CNT downpipe, looks to be very well constructed...

It isn't. Or the one I got wasn't. It looked like it was welded by someone who didn't have hands. All the welds were disgusting, the casting was COVERED in slag, and it was super dirty, like it was dunked in a vat of oil after welding.

I took it out of the box, laughed, put it back in the box, and sold it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

AP Stage 2 here...CNT catted DP too. As for exhaust, I didn't want loud either or drone. I have a custom axleback with Magnaflows #14827's (4" single walled angle tip). Kept the stock mid and y to keep it quieter then 2.5" piping to the cans. Sounds great, no drone, subie rumble.

Ok, just bear in mind that you almost assuredly WILL get knock on your stage 2 OTS map. That's just the nature of things. Start logging immediately after the mods before you go all out on your newfound power. ;)

I have the magnaflow for the same reasons you bought it, I will eventually be putting in a center resonator of sorts. there is more drone than I thought. Its eaily drowned out by the stereo, but if I add a 3 in DP, I am going to have to accompany it with a resonator...also bryans car is an LGT wagon....lol and Yes I really like how it sounds.

Ok, just bear in mind that you almost assuredly WILL get knock on your stage 2 OTS map. That's just the nature of things. Start logging immediately after the mods before you go all out on your newfound power. ;)

Thank You Sir. :cool: Will not put my foot into it until I get some feedback on my logs. I know there is a fair amout of learning that accompanies all of this. Did have one question. After a flash, if I drove the car conservatively in say "I" Si drive mode, does the ECU then learn for each other Si mode ("S" and S#)? Or does one need to drive a little in each mode in order for the ECU to learn? Basically what I'm asking is does the ECU interpolate for the other Si modes based off the data and driving habits it learns from if only one mode is used after a flash.

Thanks

I love the Borla and I installed it about 75k miles ago.

I also have COBB UP and DP (with cat)

I have not had to smog yet but I think that is coming up next year.

The sound is great with the overall setup but not too loud.

looks good too.

Thank You Sir. :cool: Will not put my foot into it until I get some feedback on my logs. I know there is a fair amout of learning that accompanies all of this. Did have one question. After a flash, if I drove the car conservatively in say "I" Si drive mode, does the ECU then learn for each other Si mode ("S" and S#)? Or does one need to drive a little in each mode in order for the ECU to learn? Basically what I'm asking is does the ECU interpolate for the other Si modes based off the data and driving habits it learns from if only one mode is used after a flash.

Thanks

Sorry, my knowledge is limited to the 5MT which doesn't have the Si modes, so I can't say for sure. I believe that the modes shouldn't affect your tunes/timing/etc. , because if I'm not mistaken, what the Si modes really do is alter the shift points and the reluctance of the car to shift up when you're off the throttle. Don't quote me on that though.

Don't get me wrong. When you get your AP, you WILL have to put the pedal to the metal a few times in order to get the logs that you need. There's no avoiding that. It should be fine though. :)

edit: Ah, seems I was wrong about Si. Here you go!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/do-you-use-si-drivei-117661.html

I would assume that when you do a custom tune and are doing pulls for the logs that you would be in S#. And as you put it, for the less aggressive modes, everything would be interpolated.

Sorry, my knowledge is limited to the 5MT which doesn't have the Si modes, so I can't say for sure. I believe that the modes shouldn't affect your tunes/timing/etc. , because if I'm not mistaken, what the Si modes really do is alter the shift points and the reluctance of the car to shift up when you're off the throttle. Don't quote me on that though.

Don't get me wrong. When you get your AP, you WILL have to put the pedal to the metal a few times in order to get the logs that you need. There's no avoiding that. It should be fine though. :)

edit: Ah, seems I was wrong about Si. Here you go!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/do-you-use-si-drivei-117661.html

I would assume that when you do a custom tune and are doing pulls for the logs that you would be in S#. And as you put it, for the less aggressive modes, everything would be interpolated.

Very helpful, thanks. I plan to do a mix of city and hwy after the flash. First trip will be in "I" mode. It will be easy for me to compare to stock. Even with an OTS map, boost targets there are also conservative, so I won't get into any trouble. If that goes well, I'll increase aggressiveness and do some 3rd and fourth gear pulls.

Archived