LegacyGT.com

Motor build questions

Nope.

If you only want that kind of HP not WHP most places will tell you to buy a OEM short block Fred Beans has a STi SB for $1950.

Have your heads freshened up, new clutch if you have one. Gaskets, belts, Fluids, Labor, etc your looking at 5000 or more.

Sorry to rain on your parade, I have been toying with doing something like this for a while.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just replacing the short block is going to be around $4000 P&L. $5000 like Max said if you get a new clutch, have the heads spec'd by a machine shop, things like that.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

OOOOh ! Now I understand, that's just for the internals.

They do have the STI EJ257 for $1929 that's cheaper then Fred Beans.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Over at the shop I help out at, we're installing this with new sti heads, crower cams, hta68.... http://www.importimageracing.com/p/Vigilant-Motorsports-Track-Short-Block-WRX-STi.html

but for a more practical sense and price....

http://www.importimageracing.com/p/Vigilant-Motorsports-Street-ShortBlock-WRX-STi.html

that's a nice lil block right there....

They sell a factory shortblock for $1930, so doesn't this package just have you paying $770 for Vigilant-branded forged pistons? The rest of the assembly they reference is still stock parts. Can't you get forged CPs for less than $600 and usually find a combo that includes Eagle rods for under $800?

This isn't a rhetorical question, I really am asking if there's something else I'm missing about that motor. If I'm right, you could probably sell someone the factory fresh pistons from the stock short block and pay even less in the end, or skip the stock rods and go with Eagles for the same price. Not bashing, just wondering.

They sell a factory shortblock for $1930, so doesn't this package just have you paying $770 for Vigilant-branded forged pistons? The rest of the assembly they reference is still stock parts. Can't you get forged CPs for less than $600 and usually find a combo that includes Eagle rods for under $800?

This isn't a rhetorical question, I really am asking if there's something else I'm missing about that motor. If I'm right, you could probably sell someone the factory fresh pistons from the stock short block and pay even less in the end, or skip the stock rods and go with Eagles for the same price. Not bashing, just wondering.

I'm not really sure to be honest with you, maybe they do some mods here and there within the block.... 7200rpm recommended rev limit....

OOOOh ! Now I understand, that's just for the internals.

They do have the STI EJ257 for $1929 that's cheaper then Fred Beans.

That almost got me too. I was about ready to pull out my Amex before they noticed the error.

For that "vigilant" block. You are paying $770 for pistons INSTALLED, and the rings properly gapped and set up. That's not a terrible deal, but it's about the same as you'd pay to have pistons put into a block you bring a machine shop.

If you get Eagle rods and Wiseco pistons, that'll cost you about $800 in parts. But installing rods means splitting the case, specing the bearings appropriately, replacing the bearings, reassembling everything. It's a considerable amount of work to install rods and pistons "correctly". You'd easily spend $1300 or so in parts and labor for a proper job.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

That almost got me too. I was about ready to pull out my Amex before they noticed the error.

For that "vigilant" block. You are paying $770 for pistons INSTALLED, and the rings properly gapped and set up. That's not a terrible deal, but it's about the same as you'd pay to have pistons put into a block you bring a machine shop.

If you get Eagle rods and Wiseco pistons, that'll cost you about $800 in parts. But installing rods means splitting the case, specing the bearings appropriately, replacing the bearings, reassembling everything. It's a considerable amount of work to install rods and pistons "correctly". You'd easily spend $1300 or so in parts and labor for a proper job.

Yet again, another reason why my buddy who own's the machine shop say's, if you not looking for lot's of HP just buy a OEM short block. He can't do the work that cheaply.

He does like Wiseco's though. They know how to set them up in the cylinders to keep the pistons happy for a long time.

I did not consider the install costs. Vigilant does sell CP stuff on its own site so I wonder if the Vigilant pistons are actually CPs. In that case I would agree that the extra $170 for spec'd and installed pistons is a fair deal and saves you from going to a local shop.

P.S. props to FBP for being pro-active on this price discussion.

Guys, dont forget - our online price is not necissarily our best price.

Just keep it in mind.

Why is that ? When people check the web for prices and see the "on-line" price and find it somewhere for less, where do you think they are going to go ?

Not to high jack this thread.

I've never been let down by FBP on the phone. Or at all, really. After the swaybar bushing fiasco I went through with Hotchkis, they took proper care of it when they could have just told me to sod off. Good people.

Well, some forget to consider our Loyalty Program: http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/customer-loyalty-program

In short, you earn 5% store credit every time you place an order with us. But for those who prefer to negotiate better pricing in lieu of the loyalty points - certainly may.

So, purchasing a $1950.00 block, gets you $97.50 in store credit that you could use towards gasket kits, etc...

Why is that ? When people check the web for prices and see the "on-line" price and find it somewhere for less, where do you think they are going to go ?

Not to high jack this thread.

Well, some forget to consider our Loyalty Program: http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/customer-loyalty-program

In short, you earn 5% store credit every time you place an order with us. But for those who prefer to negotiate better pricing in lieu of the loyalty points - certainly may.

So, purchasing a $1950.00 block, gets you $97.50 in store credit that you could use towards gasket kits, etc...

OK, now I understand. I know I did use my points on my last order. Thank You. I just can't remember what it was right now. (old age) LOL

That's what happened when I called in my last order. I had to call it in, because I didn't have a computer near. I asked about loyalty points, and whoever I was talking to said "I can't do points right now, but I can just knock down the price for you". It was awesome.

Archived