LegacyGT.com

Replacing Rear Brake Pads (Lower bolt on Caliper Stuck)

I have on 06 Limited Legacy just replaced both front pads without an issue but the rear set is proving to be a PITA. The lower caliper bolt is coming out extremely hard, to the point where it feels stuck. Has anyone ever had this issue? Top bolts on both rears came out fine and both bolts on the front brakes weren't an issue at all. Obviously without getting the bottom bolt off I can't get at the pads for the rears, any suggestions would be great.

You could always try using a jack under the wrench to push up on it with more strength than you could by hand, but these bolts shouldn't be tightened that much. You may have another issue entirely , such as a seized thread.

What tools are you using? I would suggest soaking the bolt for an hour or so with some kind of penetrating oil; WD40, PB blaster, something like that and then try it again. Use an old t-shirt or a towel to block the calipers from any overspray. I usually use a 1/2" drive breaker bar on these to break it loose if no air tools are available.

Its not that its stuck, the screw is turning but just wont come out. It's the strangest thing, it just turns and turns and it takes quite a bit of force to get it moving at all.

Ouch. +1 to taking it to a shop.

Sounds like you may have striped the threads. You may need to see a shop. If you tell us where you live we can direct you to a Legacy Specific shop in your area.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived