LegacyGT.com

Tactrix and 08+ 5EAT cars

Tomkat1127

Ok, sort of confused here, Been looking for answers. Posted this in the Vag-Com cable thread as I hate to clutter up the site if this has been answered. I just couldn't find a clear answer with a current date.

This will be for a 08 LGT Limited with the 5EAT automatic. Car is stock for now, looking to learn more about tuning. Will probably pay for a protune or at least e-tune down the road after a few mods.

First lets make sure I got the process right. I will use my Openport 2.0 to physically connect my laptop to my car, then I use ECUFlash to read/access my ROM, them RomRaider to log and edit my ROM, then ECUFLASH the modified map back to my cars ECU.

1.) Does any know for sure if RomRaider supports the 08+ 5EAT ECU rom's

All I found was small a bit in post 19 of this thread http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...t=tactrix+5EAT

2.) If so do I need to download RomRaider ECU and logger definition files from somewhere other than the Romraider site (http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=360 and here http://www.romraider.com/forum/topic1642.html)

Any explanations or help?

1) yes. otherwise there would be no opensource tuned 08/09's

2) no. the current ones from RR work fine. just make sure you install them properly and also point RR to the proper directory.

ECUflash will pull your ROM from the car so you can read it, and also write ROMs to the ECU when you make changes.

RR will log parameters and you can edit your ROM using it. If you just want to log the car you can never use ECUflash and it will work fine. RR does all the work for logging.

1) yes. otherwise there would be no opensource tuned 08/09's

2) no. the current ones from RR work fine. just make sure you install them properly and also point RR to the proper directory.

ECUflash will pull your ROM from the car so you can read it, and also write ROMs to the ECU when you make changes.

RR will log parameters and you can edit your ROM using it. If you just want to log the car you can never use ECUflash and it will work fine. RR does all the work for logging.

Thanks, that's very reassuring news. Cable is expected to arrive 5/3. Still need to format the laptop I plan to dedicate to car duty.

One more....what's LearningView about, when does that come into paly when RR wouldn't?

I swear I'm not as dumb (mechanically or PC) as this post makes me sound.....:redface:

LV shows a snapshot of ECU-learned (Learning View) parameters (A/F and Learned Knock).

you look at it to see how much the ECU has had to adjust the car for it to be happy, based on your tune. If you had a perfect tune, you would see very little learning because it was fine-tuned properly (i think, i'm no tuning guru) that the car didn't have to make any adjustments.

Logging with RR is used to see real-time performance of the tune during various driving scenarios (WOT, cruise, idle, etc)

LV shows a snapshot of ECU-learned (Learning View) parameters (A/F and Learned Knock).

you look at it to see how much the ECU has had to adjust the car for it to be happy, based on your tune. If you had a perfect tune, you would see very little learning because it was fine-tuned properly (i think, i'm no tuning guru) that the car didn't have to make any adjustments.

Logging with RR is used to see real-time performance of the tune during various driving scenarios (WOT, cruise, idle, etc)

Ohh, I see now. Freeze frame(snapshot) Vs. Realtime. I got it now, just like my Actron CEL scanner. I can pull freeze frame PID when the CEL was hard set or I can flip back and watch real time PID's when car is running.

There's going to be lots of learning to do. Even if I never tune it myself, I still want to know exactly what the paid pro tuner is doing when I have someone tune my car for me. If I know what changed, I can better help a tuner with the areas I want/need changed, especially for a etune.

Ohh, I see now. Freeze frame(snapshot) Vs. Realtime. I got it now, just like my Actron CEL scanner. I can pull freeze frame PID when the CEL was hard set or I can flip back and watch real time PID's when car is running.

There's going to be lots of learning to do. Even if I never tune it myself, I still want to know exactly what the paid pro tuner is doing when I have someone tune my car for me. If I know what changed, I can better help a tuner with the areas I want/need changed, especially for a etune.

Start here. Particularly with the 3 posts near the top started by NSFW.

Archived