LegacyGT.com

Odd Binding Problem

When I turn the steering wheel to the right while driving, there seems to be some sort of binding or something. It is worse at slower speeds than at higher speeds. The worst is probably while turning the wheel to the right while in reverse.

There is absolutely no problem while turning the wheel to the left. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like it may lower my RPMs a bit more than the power steering usually would while at idle. It seems like it may also somehow have had something to do with a misfire I had in cylinder #3 while I was backing out of a parking spot with the wheel turned to the right.

The car didn't do this before the EJ22 was swapped in. Just wondering what is causing this and how to fix it. I look through a few threads but didn't come up with any concrete info.

Really hoping to get these loose ends tied up. Finally got the engine running right.

torque-bind does seem like a candidate cuz it clearly slows the engine down when it happens. Someone on here said that they put a tube of transx in with the ATF and it fixed it completely, others mentioned draining and refilling the ATF 3 times with driving in between to fix it. I will try the FWD fuse and see if I can get some more info from testing it that way.

Didn't try the FWD fuse but my ATF is brown. Was supposed to get it serviced today, but it has to wait till tomorrow for the filter to arrive. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will fix it.

Have a similar problem. Going to ignore it. Until something breaks, so that i will have incentive to put on my STI springs, struts, and front WRX brakes. (note to self: order your SS break lines.) Transmission fluid just changed.

• I Donated
Have a similar problem. Going to ignore it. Until something breaks

I will be shocked if your car last at all. Cars that last a long time are cars that are owned by people who take care of problems before they become major issues. Good luck

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

ATF was black, bunch of crud down in the pan, and the pan was glued to the tranny instead of having a gasket. Got everything cleaned up, put new fluids in it and a tube of AMSOIL limited slip additive. Problem already feels less severe and seems more intermittent. On another note, my headlamp went out on me.

I will be shocked if your car last at all. Cars that last a long time are cars that are owned by people who take care of problems before they become major issues. Good luck

Sort of tongue in cheek. Doing my suspension and brakes on my next long weekend. Will have a goog look around The front end while I am in there, and order whatever worn bushing is causing my clunk.

In the four months I have had my car:

Replaced all seats with leathers

Replaced washer res.

Replaced broken side mirror.

Replaced driver side window gasket

Oil change

Tranny fluid change

Rear diff change

Replaced all wiper arms

Happy?

Edit: mine is not torque bind, for sure.

ATF was black, bunch of crud down in the pan, and the pan was glued to the tranny instead of having a gasket. Got everything cleaned up, put new fluids in it and a tube of AMSOIL limited slip additive. Problem already feels less severe and seems more intermittent. On another note, my headlamp went out on me.

Amsoil does a good ls additive, good choice. You'll probably need to do a tranny rebuild sometime down the road though. And there's always another problem to look forward to, eh? :cool:

Amsoil does a good ls additive, good choice. You'll probably need to do a tranny rebuild sometime down the road though. And there's always another problem to look forward to, eh? :cool:

No kidding. Makes me wish I went to auto school so I'd be better at all this work I've been doing on the car. I'm doing okay for reading stuff on the interwebs and trying to wing it. I have a lack of proper tools though for sure. Only so much a craftsmen set can do lol.

And PO put new tires on the back but not the front, just lovely. Not even the same brand. Uniroyals on front methinks and Kumhos on the back :spin:

Could sell the car and turn a profit, but I'm kinda getting attached after replacing the engine and all lol.

PS put 500 miles on it this weekend; drives much better now for sure. Torque-bind seems to be completely gone as far as I can tell at the moment. Also got a good chance to let the HLAs pump up and all. Not impressed with power compared to the EJ25D, but reliability takes precedence.

Archived