LegacyGT.com

BMW 330i vs Legacy 3.0R

Ever since I gotten my legacy, I have been putting A LOT of miles on my car and since my legacy is relatively pretty new, it is extremely painful in terms of the depreciation value. Since I will probably be selling my legacy next year, I want to reduce the amount of depreciation that I will have to receive. I am considering getting an older and higher mileage BMW 330i.

However, I love my legacy to hell. I love the sleeper look of my legacy, the AWD system and the look of my legacy. I did consider getting an older legacy but I do not like look of the older legacies and the turbo thing kinda bothers me. :lol:

I know this is a legacy forum and we are general bias towards our own cars. But I need some serious advise here.

I am currently looking at a black BMW 330i (manual and fully loaded for about $19,000) with 47,000miles. I will probably talk that person down to $18,000 ish.

Any advise will be appreciate! Thanks :D

Sell the Legacy now. Holding onto it isn't going to save you any money. It won't be worth more than it was worth yesterday, no matter what you do.

Get a 330xi if you want AWD.

/thread

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

What's so great about an even higher mileage 330i? I'd just keep the Legacy. IF you want it to be sportier feeling/sounding - sway bars and an exhaust. The 3.0R sounds like a high end sports car with an exhaust. Unfortunately, the 3.6R sounds embarrassingly awful with an aftermarket exhaust. I assume $500 total and you'd be able to do an exhaust and sways. Unbolt the mufflers (or hogzaust it) and take it for spin around the block. You'll get a few laughs out of how mean it sounds.

Well, I was told that newer cars cost more to drive per mile than an older car cost per to drive per mile. Hence, my decision to get an older car with higher mileage.

I am not thinking of doing any modification to my Subaru because I have nowhere to keep the stock parts. :lol: I am a college student living in an apartment, I do not want to mess up the parts.

Well, I was told that newer cars cost more to drive per mile than an older car cost per to drive per mile. Hence, my decision to get an older car with higher mileage.

I am not thinking of doing any modification to my Subaru because I have nowhere to keep the stock parts. :lol: I am a college student living in an apartment, I do not want to mess up the parts.

A sway bar won't take much room at all. It's a bar. The exhaust, hogzaust it. Put some washers on it, and drive it around.

That BMW is going to rape you financially if it has any hidden problems.

A sway bar won't take much room at all. It's a bar. The exhaust, hogzaust it. Put some washers on it, and drive it around.

That BMW is going to rape you financially if it has any hidden problems.

Yeah. Thats what I am worried about. Since BMW cost a bomb to repair anything on it. Hence I am asking for someone else's opinion. :lol: But so far through my search and reading. BMW 330i seems pretty reliable.

My car is coming up to its 30,000 miles oil change soon and I might consider dropping in a sway bar on it. What do you mean by hogzaust it? I don't read the modding section on this forum much. Pardon my newbieness. :p

Yeah. Thats what I am worried about. Since BMW cost a bomb to repair anything on it. Hence I am asking for someone else's opinion. :lol: But so far through my search and reading. BMW 330i seems pretty reliable.

My car is coming up to its 30,000 miles oil change soon and I might consider dropping in a sway bar on it. What do you mean by hogzaust it? I don't read the modding section on this forum much. Pardon my newbieness. :p

A hogzaust is basically a mod that costs a few minutes of your time and a few pennies for washers. The thought behind it is to make the Legacy sounds meaner, without really modding or replacing the exhaust. A bunch of people here have used washers to create a gap between the exhaust pipe and mufflers strictly for sound.

Check ebay and the Fore Sale sections for people selling sway bars. Apparently, they're not too difficult to replace and tighten up the handling of the vehicle.

How is trading in a your car for a used car of unknown reliability in any way a better financial decision? You suffer the most depreciation over the first few years of life so that it why it seems bad now. You have to hold on to a new car for at least 5 years or more for it to make financial sense over buying used. Trading one depreciating asset for another makes no financial sense.

How is trading in a your car for a used car of unknown reliability in any way a better financial decision? You suffer the most depreciation over the first few years of life so that it why it seems bad now. You have to hold on to a new car for at least 5 years or more for it to make financial sense over buying used. Trading one depreciating asset for another makes no financial sense.

Oh! Don't get me wrong. I am the second owner of my 3.0r. I bought it from a Boeing engineer that sold it well below the market value. Hence I manage to skip the ridiculous dealer premiums. I think I am going to keep my legacy now. I might just throw pneumonia the sway bars and install an in-dash navigation for the right price. :D

It doesn't matter that you purchased the Legacy used. If you are not selling it for a profit, it makes no sense to switch to a car that may or may not depreciate at a slower rate, which is very doubtful with a BMW that have cliff face depreciation and extremly high repair costs. Trade becase you want a change, don't be under the illusion that it is a better financial decision because it isn't.

You think an 09 with 30k is "high miles"?

I have 40k on my 09 OBXT.

Archived