LegacyGT.com

Cubby Gauge Pods

Here is the finished product. It took me about an hour for the whole thing but im going to redo the frame because i used a cheep plastic and it broke on the install. :mad: other than that i just drilled a whole in the back of the cubby and then ran the pressure tube down through all the wires, above the petals through the door and into the engine bay. It was qutie easy.:spin:

828604945_cubbyboost.thumb.jpg.a6b371ae54c0e38cb78ae7ef0d46b048.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im in for a double pob since JCS has yet to get back to me im not sending him money if he cant reply to an email. would like to see a final product and ill buy one off you. is there a chance of it holding 2 60mm gauges and removing the door? has this been attempted?

Here is the finished product. It took me about an hour for the whole thing but im going to redo the frame because i used a cheep plastic and it broke on the install. :mad: other than that i just drilled a whole in the back of the cubby and then ran the pressure tube down through all the wires, above the petals through the door and into the engine bay. It was qutie easy.:spin:

Not a fan of mechanical boost gauges but other than that very nice.

I think that its important to note that this inserts INTO the cubby hole where the others either go over it or replace it entirely. I am not saying it is a good thing or a bad thing but certainly will work well for anyone wanting to do a little less work on install.

Mine required removal of the cubby hole and replacement but I will have no problem with my gauges getting too warm and I did not need to cut any holes.

I think its great that this is not a knockoff of another product but a different take on how to get a similar result. Good work. I want to see one in aluminum.

Im in for a double pob since JCS has yet to get back to me im not sending him money if he cant reply to an email. would like to see a final product and ill buy one off you. is there a chance of it holding 2 60mm gauges and removing the door? has this been attempted?

Not too sure about with the door removed, but the one I made came out to 58mm which is <60mm, so that would not work. Having the cubby door removed would take away from the look I was going for.

ill kuztum modificate like Xhibit BRO. if i completely gutted the cubby maybe theyll fit. Ill need to take some measurements. Are you still making these things though? Im probably not going through with those other ones. I want stealth. And can you angle the pod to aim toward the driver? or do they sit flush?

If you completely modifikated the cubby, i feel that would be dumb and way more work than you would need. I am trying to make these, but im also trying to move/save money/chase the muff around.

As far as the angle, Im sure it could be done, but I am no master metal fab guy. Just a dude with a dremel and some metal. So as for now, they sit flush. Also, im broke and cant decide which gauge I want to put in there, so thats the main reason why I havent finished one up yet.

issues:

1: hand cut with dremel = quality/size/finish consistancy issues

2. $15 price includes material and 1hr+ labor? bad news for seller (and buyer once buyer gets a part that the seller is over making for $7 an hour)

3. highly unlikely to fit a 60mm in there

4. need to drill/cut a hole in cubby to do the install - the other pods that remove the cubby back - this is nice for "going back to stock". Those who dont care, dont care.

issues:

1: hand cut with dremel = quality/size/finish consistancy issues

2. $15 price includes material and 1hr+ labor? bad news for seller (and buyer once buyer gets a part that the seller is over making for $7 an hour)

3. highly unlikely to fit a 60mm in there

4. need to drill/cut a hole in cubby to do the install - the other pods that remove the cubby back - this is nice for "going back to stock". Those who dont care, dont care.

1. Working on finding someone with a bandsaw in their basement so I can make them more efficiently, not working out so well.

2. Good point, might have to change price numbers.

3&4. True story

I should have never stopped making Cubbypods! I sold hundreds and there is still a market for gauge holders. In hindsight I should have bought a $20k injection mold to manufacture them.

Words of wisdom, people will pay for quality. Scrap the bandsaw idea and get these laser cut or water jetted. I get emails all the time for people wanting a cubbypod, but I don't make them anymore (I sold the equipment). What I am saying is, the market is still there. Pick 1 or 2 versions and make 100 of each. laser cutting is not bad with quantity. If you don't want to, let me know and I will consider it.

The market demand is much greater than anyone could have guessed Cas. Im sure with the info available at the time you made the smart business decisions.

OP If each pod is $5-10 in materials and an hour of your time in construction consider development, risk, advertising/marketing time and shipping time (bill for actual shipping) I would guess that you need to sell them for $40 or more for it to feel "worth the time/investment" to really take the time to do it RIGHT and make them all perfect.

Also make sure you get it just right. Part of why Cas' product sold and sold and sold is that it more or less works for everyone.

if you need to adjust price, my interest is still there. You are real low. Vendors sell them for upwards of $60+ for plastic. Aluminum would be tits in a world of crap.

I haven't seen $60 yet.. I paid $40 for my JCS cubby pod around feb. Nice thing about the plastic is its easier to modify to fit the gauges perfectly.

OP best of luck with your pods. I'm in no way bashing your idea, more options are always a good thing for the community.

if you need to adjust price, my interest is still there. You are real low. Vendors sell them for upwards of $60+ for plastic. Aluminum would be tits in a world of crap.

Brushed Aluminum $54.99 from Subtle Solutions:

http://www.subtle-solutions.com/product_info.php?products_id=115

I have the JCS model and like it a lot, good install instructions.

I should have never stopped making Cubbypods! I sold hundreds and there is still a market for gauge holders. In hindsight I should have bought a $20k injection mold to manufacture them.

Same goes for the derlin shift knob for automatics....had to end up buying a shift knob from momo since your's were no longer available.

CasopoliS, did you need to register as a vendor when u started selling your pods?

Yes sir.

I could have sold 1000 cubbypods. Knowing that in advance I could have gone with injection molded pieces and offered them for cheap. But I didn't know that. Instead I got a business loan on a piece of equipment that made them slowly but gave me design freedoms. So it was a much safer decision, which was good, I went through 7 revisions over time. I sold the equipment because I got an offer I could not pass up and it was depreciating. I did not have the space for it either.

lieutenantcolumbo, on your comment - there is just not enough money to be made to justify my time for the cubbypods and shift knobs. So, I have quit on both. Though, I built a house with a lot of extra space so I am considering another side business. Too busy with the house right now though.

Sorry to jack the thread. Good luck to the OP on potentially making these. Again, get 100 of them laser cut and bent at a local metal shop... it can't be that expensive. The less you have to do, the better.

Archived