LegacyGT.com

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug - Worth It?

Have them on both Subarus we own. I do 3K OCIs and every time there is a little amount of shaved metal dust to wipe off them. SO yes, they are worth it...

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• 1 month later...
So I finally got mine from the OP link above (rrevsports). It looks nice, But a question. It comes with its own washer, a plain flat washer (no crush, serrations, or locking), quite thick (perhaps 1+ mm). I wonder if this is meant to be a re-usable washer ? It'd be nice not to have to keep buying crush washers.

So I finally got mine from the OP link above (rrevsports). It looks nice, But a question. It comes with its own washer, a plain flat washer (no crush, serrations, or locking), quite thick (perhaps 1+ mm). I wonder if this is meant to be a re-usable washer ? It'd be nice not to have to keep buying crush washers.

They cost like 30 cents each. You can get enough to do oil changes for the life of your car and then some for 15 dollars.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

They cost like 30 cents each. You can get enough to do oil changes for the life of your car and then some for 15 dollars.

Your logic is inassailable. I guess I never seem to have 'em on hand, but you're saying just buy a pile. I think the price is closer to a dollar though.

I don't have the part number, but I didn't think they were a dollar. Even if they were, $5 will cover most people for a year.

Definitely buy them by the pile, put them on a large key ring, and keep them next to your filter stash or wrench.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Definitely buy them by the pile, put them on a large key ring, and keep them next to your filter stash or wrench.

Hahaha, I have mine on a twisted wire otherwise I will lose em. I thought I was the only one who did that:p

Your logic is inassailable. I guess I never seem to have 'em on hand, but you're saying just buy a pile. I think the price is closer to a dollar though.

Not true... local subie dealer 1.90 for 5 crush washers.

So his 30 cent estimate was very close.

Now from an autozone a dolar would be true.

I guess we're beating a fairly insignificant issue to death, but what the hey ...

The revsport guy says the thick flat washer (he supplies with the magnetic

drain plug) is fine to use, but it's fine to use crush washer with his drainplug

too - but not both (of course).

I wonder about the function of the washer. Seems to me it has two functions:

to keep the drainplug from loosening up and falling out, and to prevent

seepage.

Seems like if the former were the real issue, they'd use a toothed or split-ring

washer. It seems like once the crush washer is crushed, it's not gonna push

back on the drainplug flange the way toothed or split-ring would. So it's not

gonna prevent loosening any better than a solid washer. Maybe it prevents

leakage better, but I doubt leakage is much of an issue with any washer that

keeps the plug from loosening up.

I stand corrected on the price of the crush washers, so probably best to just

use what Subaru says to use - even if the price weren't that cheap.

$6 for 5 crush washers from my dealer.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

That is lame man. Next time you need em just send me two bucks on paypal and Ill run to my dealership pick em up for 1.90 and mail em to ya! 6 bucks ouch!

That seems bizarre, Scotty, because "subarupartsforyou", which lotsa people here like and they seem to have the best prices, want $4 for 5 of 'em:

http://subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=626

Maybe your dealership has found some non-OEM source and is offering the cheaper ones as a service to their customers ?

That seems bizarre, Scotty, because "subarupartsforyou", which lotsa people here like and they seem to have the best prices, want $4 for 5 of 'em:

http://subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=626

Maybe your dealership has found some non-OEM source and is offering the cheaper ones as a service to their customers ?

Copied and pasted from My online statements.

But you are right I called them back and they quoted me a different price so I have come to the conclusion they rang it up incorrectly. Oh well I lucked out I guess. In hindsight... I should have bought a ton of em ! haha

5/21/2011 DEBITDOUG SMITH AUTOP AMERICAN$1.09

Bottom line: replace your crush washer every time.

Aluminum and copper aren't magnetic.. so just keep that in mind

I'm just a bit curious; what's either aluminum, copper, or both, and would be found in particles or chunks in the oil that cools the turbo? This is a serious question. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

The oil isn't just for your turbo. Engine bearings typically have copper in them. I'm not up to snuff on the VF40, but if it's a journal bearing, it probably has a brass journal. As for aluminum, I'm not sure. The engine casting, as well as many internals are aluminum, but all the usual wear points are not. i.e. rings, valve seats, bearings, cylinder walls. The aluminum just holds the hard bits together.

subarugenuineparts wants $0.73 for a drain plug washer. I bought a handful at my local dealer for $1.05 each.

Late to the game, I know.

Archived