LegacyGT.com

Leather treatment, limited seats

mtnsubie

the leather on these limiteds doesn't seem to be real high quality stuff. it's not glove soft. of course these are subarus not lexus with $30K+ price tags either. but still, i think they could use a little better quality and not jack the price.

i just treated my leather with leathertique. it seems alright.

what r u boys using?

also, exactly how much of the seats and interior are leather? seats front and back? any leather in the doors?

what about vinyl treatments for the dash and non-leather areas? i heard armor all is out these days.

apply Leatherique Rejuvenator, cover seats with garbage bags, park in sun.

next day, repeat.

clean off seats with Leatherique Prestine Clean.

the leather with be buttery soft. :)

with the SVX sold and leaving soon, i will have a bunch of Leatherique product left to do the steering wheel and shifter in my non-Limited cloth-seat LGT. :rolleyes::lol:

oh, thats the stuff i bought. i didnt do the treatment that way though. that really make the difference? strange that it said to apply with bare hands...

yeah, let it bake in on a hot sunny day. you can still drive around with the garbage bags on the seats.

you'll waste less with bare hands - a rag will just soak it up. it will actually moisturize your hands pretty good - mine are usually all dried up and cracked anyway. :D

ok. i'll try that. i did read about that method of treatment on another website too. after i put it on i just wiped it off. it left the leather a shade darker but not any softer.

shoot, that's stuff expensive too. it made my hands dry but that's cool. it kinda drips throught and gets wasted but i'll try that method next treatment session...

thanks for the info..:)

I've been using Wolfgang Leather Conditioner. Its not greasy or super shiney, but it does leave my leather looking rich and black. Its as good as it gets for automotive leather care. Leatherique would be my second choice in the leather care area. The only reason I go for Wolfgang instead of Leatherique is because premiumautocare.com doesn't carry Leatherique. When I'm putting in a product order its just too easy to throw a bottle of leather conditioner in with it all.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I tried the meguiars wipes and I didn't like it. I was afraid it would make the leather shiny which is what I don't want. All I want is to keep it from cracking, what to do?
I have a canister of these wipes. Not only shiny buy "Squeeky" too.. I hate it. Although I only used it in some small portions that were getting dry, and then used a wet towel to get it all off the surface.

The Four Star Ultimate products are also excellent. I've been gravitating toward the Wolfgang line more and more lately. I could tell you which was which if you poured them both into seperate cups, but applied to the leather I can't tell the difference. They are both made to high standards. I've used the Four Star leather conditioner longer than the Wolfgang, but they are both still excellent leather care products.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I'd say they are about equal. I used up the last of my Four Star leather conditioner and then grabbed a new bottle of Wolfgang. If I had to choose I'd say that Four Star probably has less shine initialy, but after you buff the seats down with a dry towel then they both end up looking pretty much the same. Not glossy at all. More of a matte look.

OCDETAILS BLOG

"Not Lexus" I should hope not. My Lexus SC400 had the cheapest leather seats that I ever saw. In fact, you would be hard pressed to find an SC where the drivers side left shoulder of the seat is not cracked or worn. One of the biggest buys on Club Lexus is always leather seats. To me, these seats look and feel better than my Lexus did.

Lexus leather is coated with something strange. It makes it shiney and kind of brittle. I've never been a fan of it either. Most Lexus vehicles that I've done have pretty bad leather damage if its not cared for on a regular basis. Honda leather isn't too great either. Actually, that goes for Acura too. You gotta keep it conditioned or else it cracks quickly. That's what the other Leatherique products are good for though. Not the conditioner, but they have systems to repair cracked leather to look like new. I've seen the before and after of that kind of stuff and its impressive.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I gleaned mention of the Spinneybeck Leather Maintenance Kit when I was browsing the BMW forums

http://leatherz.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=01&Product_Code=SpinneyKit&Category_Code=

Personally i'd have preferred leatherette for the lower maintenance and higher durability, but since that wasn't a option ...

There's also a maintenance guide that mentions it's possible to over-condition your leather

http://www.spinneybeck.com/images/PrintedMat/Factsheets/Large/maint.pdf

If someone has details on the exact type of leather the GT Ltd uses it'd make choosing the right care products easier

• 1 month later...
Anyoen have any new or upgraded info regarding leather care? What can I do if there is just a little bit of dust over everything and I just want to get that off? Would using a dry cloth on everything be the best way to go?

I'd just use a dry cloth if all you are doing is dusting it. You could also spray some Lexol on a towel and wipe it down that way to give it a quick touching up. One thing I've noticed is that water and our leather don't mix well. If my boy has drools on my seats or touches them with wet hands then I am sure to have a mark there later. Its easy to clean up, but its not something I've had to deal with on previous cars. I'm not convinced that the quality of leather in our cars is very high.

OCDETAILS BLOG

OCD I have had my Legacy for about 2 months now and I live in Arizona constant 110+ degree heat right now although I am almost always either underground or garage parked but how often do you think I should treat the leather out here? Any adivise would be apprciated.

I would always recommend that you at least touch up the leather once a month. I would highly suggest getting your windows tinted with a good UV blocking tint and get a good sun screen. That will help out considerably. Your leather can really get dried out in those kinds of conditions. Its best to take every precaution.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived