LegacyGT.com

Bluetooth OBDII scan tool issue

I have this ELM327 scantool for my 1997 outback to pair the device the passkey is 6789.. So I did that and I use the program called torque and it says it's connected to the device but I don't see any live data from it and it wont read any of the ECM codes or anything like that when I had the CEL on.

Anything I did wrong that I can think of?

1. Are you using the free or paid version of torque?

2. Under obdii connector status in torque, does it say the device is connected to the scanner/ecu/?

3. Do you have Pandora installed on your device?

4. Android, iphone, or other?

1. I have the paid version

2. says connected

3. I have pandora installed but that bluetooth streaming thing is unchecked in pandora

4. Using HTC Evo 4G

let me go get a screen shot of the program

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/SubaruWRX/snap20110420_121754-1.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/SubaruWRX/snap20110420_121842.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/SubaruWRX/snap20110420_121803.png

Try these steps. It's a little redundant and you may have already attempted, but this is the first step in tech support, right?;)

1. Go to settings>wireless>bluetooth settings>find the device, long press and unpair.

2. Disable bluetooth.

3. Enable bluetooth.

4. Tap "Make Discoverable".

5. Scan for devices, but do not try to pair the device at this point.

6. Launch Torque

7. It should find the bluetooth signal and try to connect, asking for the prompt. At which point you enter in 6789.

8. Check it again. I'll keep digging to see what else it could be.

I'm also in CT and I have a similar setup. Maybe I can even come out to see it. PM me if interested.

hmm I found a setting in the menu I forgot where right now since I'm back in the house but it was like check this if you have issues trying to get the adapter to talk to the ECU.. mine would say ok but I would get no data..

So I checked it and so far I've only got the coolant sensor, LT fuel trim and engine load & timing advance.. It's still very much lacking.. it seems new data pops up every few seconds or so and another thing is green and can be picked.

My hand scan tool is still a bit better but I just wanted something less bulky if you know what I mean.

I have a Bluetooth Scanner and Torque, and it reads VERY few PIDs. I think Torque just doesn't support many PIDs for our cars, because I can read tons of them from newer cars, and can read a lot from mine with PCMScan, for example, on my laptop. Sucks.

ok this is odd.. it seems like each time I connect to the car it's iffy if I can read the same data.. this time more stuff came up like oxygen senors and fuel trim but the stuff I had before no longer worked.

the crazy thing is my hand held scanner is more useful for live data then this program :-/

does anyone what system our cars use. is it iso based or j1850, or what? i was trying out a creader 6 and it does half a billion different languages but apparently, doesn't speak subaru. it even says it specializes in japanese and euro cars. wtf?
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

did you get the scanner off amazon/ebay? i got mine on amazon and it works great with the newer cars (flawless on my friends '01 RS) but on mine it only reads the coolant temp, lol. i think i remember reading somewhere that it wasnt until 98 or so that subarus were fully OBDII compliant, which is what i think most of the issue is.

did you get the scanner off amazon/ebay? i got mine on amazon and it works great with the newer cars (flawless on my friends '01 RS) but on mine it only reads the coolant temp, lol. i think i remember reading somewhere that it wasnt until 98 or so that subarus were fully OBDII compliant, which is what i think most of the issue is.

cornwell tool truck. truck dealers will let you test drive scanners for a week to see if you wanna buy it. but i doesn't communicate w/ my car so its a no go for me. although it is a handy little tool. live (color) data logging was nice.

I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

• 3 weeks later...

they changed the profile stuff? Because that's one of the first things i did before I had the keys to the car.. I put the weight in and all..

i'm going to go out to the car now and give it a try.

ok so the new update seems to make my OBDII device worst..

instead of reading data for maybe 5 seconds and having to reconnect again it only grabs a second of live data and it goes back to finding the right protocol again.. It's annoying..

This is the one I have

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/SubaruWRX/IMAG0376-1.jpg

Hmm. It might be the device. I'm using an OBDKey:

http://www.obdkey.com/images/obd_bluetooth.jpg

Here are all the settings I have in my Torque app that seem to work:

In the profile, turns out I DON'T have "Use alternate OBD header" checked. Sorry about that. I had been flicking it on and off as he had pushed a few updates the last couple days.

In the OBD settings I have 'Faster communication' checked, 'Disable ELM327 auto timer' checked.

Try those settings and see if it works.

heh i would hope that obdkey would work for that price ;) I will go out and check too I know I did the same by checking and unchecking that alternate OBD header setting.

*nope still did not work :-/

Hmm, that sucks. I'm not quite sure what's wrong. You might consider posting on the torque forum (where I linked to a few posts back). The developer is REALLY good about replying. Additionally, if you let the Torque app try to connect for a minute or two, you can then submit a log from the app for him to look at. That's what he did for the other Legacy poster in that thread. I wish I could be of more help than that... :/

Archived