LegacyGT.com

Um... Horn at 120MPH? Can i make it go away?

The "horn" you are hearing is not a horn at all.

The speed you are talking about creates a huge amount of drag on your frameless windows....air rushing out of your car between the window seals and the window itself creates a sound of a horn. The first time that happened to me I almost sh*t myself.

I heard this sound again yesterday and I found that it was happening at my passenger front window. Cracked the windows just a bit and the horn went away. This was at 50mph on an excessively windy day.

Would new weather stripping around the windows help at all?

I heard this sound again yesterday and I found that it was happening at my passenger front window. Cracked the windows just a bit and the horn went away. This was at 50mph on an excessively windy day.

Would new weather stripping around the windows help at all?

No......the first time it happened to me the car was brand new. I had just finished the break-in period and said to myself " let's see what this puppy can do ! ". It was late at night ---long stretch of clear highway----no cars at all , just me and my new spec B. When I hit around 115 that horn sound went off and I'm telling you....I really almost sh*t my pants! There had been (unconfirmed) cases in upstate New York where troopers would come up on speeders without using their headlights to announce their presence......I thought I had been busted !

So , no ......new seals won't help. It's just a design "feature" that comes free with our sexy frameless windows. :)

Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

so why does it only happen to certain cars? i've hit what my speedometer says is 155 and never heard this? i have an 05 lgt..

It must have something to do with cross winds that are evident while at speed......when it happened to me it was very windy.

It has only happened a few times (maybe 3) in 5 years of ownership.

It sounds EXACTLY like a horn from a car right next to you....you can't miss it when it happens! One day when it's windy , do a speed test.....if it happens , you'll know what we're talking about.

So how is this thread any different than a kill story thread? Even in many street races, speeds of 120 are not achieved and now we're talking about 155mph? I'm going out on a windy day to see if I hear the horn. :spin:

So how is this thread any different than a kill story thread? Even in many street races, speeds of 120 are not achieved and now we're talking about 155mph? I'm going out on a windy day to see if I hear the horn. :spin:

Nah.......not even close to a kill story. This phenomena can occur at 65 mph-----any speed really . The frameless windows are to blame . And a VERY windy day is key to hearing the sound.

My windows doit too. it starts anywhere from 100-120 depending on how cold it is outside (adhesion of the seals i suppose) and does it up to 160(ish). if your actual horn is going off. which i doubt. well now thats just funny!

Archived