LegacyGT.com

Borla cbe without resonator?

stickshift4life

Hello all,

just grabbed a borla cbe and love the sound down low but feel it is too quiet at higher rpms. Thinking about removing the resonator as it is relatively cheap and dont want to bother with the cost and installation problems of a downpipe... maybe in the future. Anyway was wondering if anyone has removed the resonator from their borla and what their opinions on it are. Thanks.

I have a invidia catless dp mated to a borla catback and i think its just about perfect... but i also blew out the packing in one of the mufflers so its a little extra loud. Removing the resonator sounds like a lot of bs plus i bet it will drone out like crazy at highway speeds. I dont have any drone with my current setup. hope this helps

stickshift4life: do you have an aftermarket down pipe (i.e. stage 2) or are you still stock? it gets louder with an aftermarket down pipe.

also, instead of cutting out the resonator have a shop just make a pipe of the same length with the same flanges on it so you can swap between resonated/non resonated

also, instead of cutting out the resonator have a shop just make a pipe of the same length with the same flanges on it so you can swap between resonated/non resonated

Agreed.

I also have the Borla exhaust. I have been thinking about getting someone to make an intermediate pipe without a resonator so I could switch them out. Something to note: this is a stainless steel setup, you should get get a stainless steel section made to replace what is there. The intermediate section is a slip fit, chances are a carbon steel pipe would rust and you would have issues getting the pipe in/out of that section. I still have 2 cats on my car: pre turbo and the one after the down pipe. I am going to hold off until I remove the pre turbo cat before I make this move to see if the sound changes. I love the throaty sound, it just needs to be a little louder.

I have since changed my mind about removing the resonator and am in the process of going stage 2. As my car is an 05 i have ordered a new uppipe and downpipe. Going from 3 cats to 1 in conjunction with the borla cbe i fear my car will become too loud and potentially drone. I love how the borla has a deep rumble but is not obnoxious or excessive but i am just looking for a little bit more. dont want people turning around every time i give it some gas, just a nice sound. Anyone have a similar setup or can provide some insight/opinions? Thanks for the help already.

i have the borla with a cobb DP and it's a great sound. personally, i don't think it drones at all. i've never had a passenger complain about it on my many long highway trips. it's only loud when you stomp on the gas, otherwise it's just a smooth rumble.

yup i have perrin el headers (wrapped)

grimmspeed catless up (ceramic coated blue)

invidia catless dwn (no wrap)

borla catback w/ resonator

sounds great no drone and not that loud at all....tho i'm gonna be doing the same (getting a piece of ss pipe made with flanges to see what kind of a diff. the resonator really makes) cause my flanges where the dwnpipe meets the intermediate are soo rusted!? borla million mile warranty??? we'll see

I noticed rust on mine too, and asked about it when it was in a friend's body shop. they said it was purely surface rust, and it wasn't doing anything to the metal.

if you do try to tap into that million mile warranty let me know how it turns out.

Archived