LegacyGT.com

DMV regulations

jj808

Ill be moving to San Diego fm Hawaii in sept and have a few questions concerning modding in Cali. I have heard that they are really strict on Exhausts things like that. What is required if i bring a car fm Hawaii? Anything i should change now while i still have time? What is required to register my car there? Do they do an exhaust check? Are they really crazy over CARB certs? How about tinting? If u guys can think of something i should know please feel free to post it.

Mahalo, Joshua

We have no inspection for one thing so the tint thing is purely a function of cops. Don't drive like an ass and you'll be fine. There are plenty of people with blacked out front windows driving around. Uhm, the smog thing kinda varies. Some smog check guys are more crazy about the visual part then others. I wonder if you'd even need a smog check since your car is so new.

I was just curious because i have heard that the car inspection people go nuts if u dont have CARB cert papers for all parts.So "they" just do visual inspections? No hooking my car up to a machine?

On the registration thing...Here in hawaii if u have a new car then your registration and safety inspection is good for 2 yrs. If u want to keep my Hawaii plates and such is that possible? I know u can do it here. All they do is give u an "out of state" registration sticker that expires the same time your other stuff does. Is that possible there? Its sort of a money saver here. Also since i am not a resident will my fees for registration (if i have to do it) change?

I'm not sure if the laws have changed, but I bought one of my old XR4Ti's about 6 years ago from out of state. It passed the smog sniffer without a problem, but the state requires that the underhood emissions placard explicitly state that the said vehicle complies to both Federal and California emissions standards for the model year. If it only say Federal, then they make you pay some BS $300 fee. Fortunately for me, I had an identical car that was originally a CA vehicle with the required placard, so I just transfered it over to the new car for the emissions inspection. :D

BTW, this inspection is required upon registation in CA, so it doesn't matter if the car is new.

Wonder how long the drive is to Vishnu's fm San Dog?

It is about 7 or 8 hour drive, I think? I looked it up and from my house it takes about 7 hours it said. Long drive.

On window tint, the front two cant be tinted, just a little bit, but it looks like there is no tint on.

I have all my windows tinited and no problems yet. Here are some PICS. If a cop is bored or wants to pick on you, then they have a reason to pull you over. Also for no front plates. They pull me over in my lowered truck just for no plates in front. Then they give you a fix it ticket.

In San Diego cops pick on fixed up cars. There is a lot of street racing deaths here.

When you get here, you will see how it is. Where in San Diego you moving to?

As a former military member, I kept my out-of-state plates the whole time I was stationed in California (which is authorized) and didn't have to worry about CA registration (which includes an automatic smog on OOS cars, even if they are within the six year window for new vehicles).

However, when I left the service, I had to have the cars smogged, including visual, dyno and sniffer, before I could get CA registration. Since all of the cars were already CA-spec smog-wise, with no mods, it was no big deal. If you can retain your Hawaii registration, I'd do that.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Welcome to San Diego. Have you been stationed here before? Do you need anything, e.g., info about the area, facilities, etc.?

SBT

Last time i was in Cali for any length of time was back in 94-95. Strangely enough i was out at P. Loma then...wierd. I do plan on moving out in town soon as possible after i get there and settled in. I dont know any of the areas thou. Im a single e-5 so i wont need a huge place. Whats the average price range out there? I would like to get as close to the Subase as possible but not use all my BAH if i can. No high crime areas too. You get the drift. =)

For a single bedroom apartment you're looking at ~$1K a month for a decent place (gated, reasonable neighborhood), plus utilities. Expect to pay first and last month's rent and a security deposit (usually 1/2 to all of a month's rent). IIRC, you can put in a special request chit for advance rent and deposits to be paid back over 12 months. You'll want to check the Navy Housing Office, 619-556-8843 on the specifics of the program and for a list of approved rentals in the area. Your sponsor will have more information but keep me in the loop in you need specifics in a short order.

SBT

Looks like im going get only $1283 for BAH so i might have find a roomate to save any sort of money. Im getting $1472 here in Hawaii + $300 for COLA. Man! I am going to take such a pay cut transferring there. Whats a good area there? Hows the Real Estate? Might look to buying a house there instead.

Hows the Real Estate? Might look to buying a house there instead.

:lol:

Want to buy my 2 bed 2 bathroom condo for $420,000? I live in a nice area. Rancho del rey in chula vista.

House prices is a joke here. For a house no less then $510,000. I already looked for myself.

Guys, think i could get away w/ the Cobb catless UP and DP but leave on the exhaust cats? In Cali that is...

Will you be registering the car in California. If not, probably okay... if registering in California, then it will be difficult to pass the smog visual check.

SBT

I dont know if i will have to. As i said the Hawaii registration and such is good till Feb 2007. I know hawaii has regulation in place to keep that till expiration but no idea about California.

I think i found the info concerning the 6yr wait for the smog check. >

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.

Then i found this elsewhere:

Currently still exempt from the State of California Smog Check program are:

Motorcycles - (Technology is currently being developed to inspect motorcycles ALSO! Projected Date: 04/01/07)

Diesel powered motor vehicles

Motor vehicles with two-cylinders or less

Two-stroke (two-cycle) engines(excluding rotary engine)

Engines under 819cc

1975 model-year vehicles and older

4 or 6 model years old (depending on smog check area) and newer (except for initial registration in California or change of ownership)

So i will be exempt fm smog testing except for the initial registration testing. Then for the next 6 ys i will have to pay a "Smog Abatement Fee". Right?

Archived