LegacyGT.com

DMV regulations

jj808

That's about it.

BTW - Think about registering your car in your home state as a military member. Things like smog checks and other reqistration requirements are typically waived for out-of-state military members. That way you avoid the CA registration process all together. Will probably be cheaper too and you won't have to change registration everytime you move to another area.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Think this rule lets me operate a out of state motor vehicle in Cali. I think...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nonresident Military Personnel Operating a Vehicle in California

Nonresident military personnel, and both military or civilian members of NATO who are not citizens of the United States are permitted to operate a vehicle in this state with valid license plates from either:

*the individual's home state or country or

*the state or country where the individual was regularly assigned and stationed when the license plates were issued, if the following requirements are met:

1.The license plates displayed on the vehicle are valid plates issued by a foreign jurisdiction.

2.The vehicle registration and license plates are issued to the military person or spouse of the military person.

3.The vehicle registration and license plates are issued by the foreign jurisdiction where the military person was last regularly assigned and stationed for duty by military orders or a jurisdiction claimed by the nonresident military person as the permanent state of residence.

4If the vehicle is a motor vehicle, the owner or driver has insurance.

NOTE: Military orders do not include military orders for leave, for temporary duty, or for any other assignment of any nature requiring the military person's presence outside the foreign jurisdiction where the owner was regularly assigned and stationed for duty.

This section applies to all vehicles owned by the military person or spouse except any commercial vehicle used in any business manner wherein the military person or spouse receives compensation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the one, and it's the one under which I registered all of our cars until I left the service.

If you can help it don't purchase a car in California. They'll get their 7.5 - 8.75% sales tax (depending on where you buy it), even if you register it someplace else. The state wants their "tribute". Many states have a lot less sales tax or even no sales tax. If you're shipping your car, I'd recommend keeping the HI plates until they expire and before they expire, registering with your home state.

SBT

• 3 weeks later...

So does CA do an OBD2 check at all? I'll be moving to San Diego in August when I'm a free man(Army). Registration is in IL, and is getting renewed this month. But the car is also getting a *slight* modification to it, and will never pass an OBD2 scan. But I could throw some cats back in it to make it pass a sniffer probably if I need to.

Oh, it's a 1998 Legacy GT.

Four components to the CA DMV Smog Check process

1) Visual check

2) OBDII check for codes

3) Tailpipe sniff

4) Pressure check the gas cap

CA smog requires a visual to make sure everything that the car was equipped with when it came out of the factory, EPA-wise, is on the car, from a detailed model-by-model registry of factory equipment. This is followed by an OBDII code check before moving on to the tail-pipe sniff. Since most test sites do not have AWD dynos, they just "sniff" the exhaust during a protracted neutral/park idle and a 3 minute 2500 rpm burst. If you're not AWD, then they'll do this on a dyno so they can put your car under load. The last thing they typically do is pressurize/vacuum check your gas cap to make sure it's holding a seal against the filler neck.

Fail any one of these "checks" and your car doesn't pass smog.

HTH

SBT

• 4 weeks later...
Well, i got my orders finally. I report to my new command on the 15th of Nov. Now i have to start looking into a place to live. Im thinking of the Mission Valley or Mission Bay area. The place i work at is right next to the airport so the commute would not be horrible. I only get $1200 a month for rent and untilities so if you have any suggestions take that into consideration.

Congratulations on your orders. So you're heading to FITCPAC?

FWIW - $1200 may not find you what you're looking for in the MV/MB area unless you're sharing a house/apartment with 1 - 2 others. I only say that because of the cost of living (91 Octane will be at or above $3.00/gal by next month) and the commute is typically much farther than anywhere to anywhere on Oahu.

If you'd like I can find a rental listing and the weekend San Diego Union-Tribune listings and send it to you with some area suggestions circled. Just PM me your address and let me know. This way you can get a feel for costs/areas, etc.

SBT

Archived