LegacyGT.com

2005 LGT LTD - Intake question

MasAyinde

Hey guys, I'm looking at a 2005 Legacy GT right now, hopefully buying it in the next few days. It has 107k miles and when I drove it, it felt great. My only issue is that it has a K&N typhoon intake, but I don't know if it has been tuned. What kind of stuff should I be looking for to make sure that no serious damage has been done by the previous owner slapping that intake on?

IMO opinon that by itself shouldn't hurt. The factory intake is pretty good.

Make sure the 105,000 mile service was done, that's the timing belt.

Ask about oil comsumsion.

Read in the "tuning forum" here and you'll find out more about that end of what's possible.

My 05 had a Parrin Panel filter installed and the intake siliencer remover since about 2000 miles and went Cobb AP stage 1 at 8000 miles.

Checking the oil on these things is a pita. It's takes a while with the dip stick removed to get a true reading.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That LGT looked great, but the shape of the engine and dealer honesty about service was shady. The battery was dead after a week and the ABS light was on the entire time I was there so I moved on. I actually picked up a RBP Legacy last night, pictures to come soon.

get another one with lower millages... this is my serious advice not sarcastic or anything

the 05 has a history of fail turbo :iam:, with that kind of millage, it is a big MEH, get a 08, 09 with lower millage, you spend some extra bucks and your baby will serve you well :)

hahahaha you tell me this 5 days after I picked up an 05 with 90k. Is it that much of a mystery? I thought that the failed turbo on the 05 was due to the fact that it's the only year with a catted up-pipe and anything that works it's way loose become solid debris in the turbo. Is there a strong history of turbo failure even with people who have gone with the STI or other catless up-pipe?

aw man, I wish I saw your post earlier,

I guess a catless up pipe would help, if you can find a good shop, take the damn thing out and check for shaft play...

reason why it fails??? it could be anything :eek:

need an expert advice here, I got rid of my car before 100K

Well, the vf40's in the 05 were notorious for oil starvation due to crap clogging the oil delivery banjo bolt......the vf40's that outlast 50k miles are usually because the oil was changed religiously it's whole life- that's the key to vf40 longevity. Most vf40's that do blow send shards into the engine- sometimes with an immediate effect, sometimes with a delayed effect within a few thousand miles...

Edit: search the forum on how to remove the banjo bolt filter....and eliminate the risk of a clog and starvation...

depends.....im at 130K stage 2.5 and have had zero and i say again, ZERO issue. i still have the banjo filter in and stock turbo. and she runs strong.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

regular synthetic oil change is your friend.

Yep, you check and clean the banjo bolt filter, and again, turbo failure can be caused by any reason. If you have a good mechanic friend who's willing to pull the turbo out for you and check for shaft play, that will be helpful (never know what the previous owner did to your baby), if there is any shaft play, best bet is to replace the turbo - you dont want a broken turbo throws all kind of shit into you block. (as bmx045 mentioned above)

FYI, shaft play is using your hand to hold the turbo shaft, if you can move it around (or very little), there is shaft play. Otherwise, your turbo is in good condition! Just saying in case you dont know.. (cuz I didnt' before :redface:)

Enjoy your car and worry less :)

Archived