LegacyGT.com

Windshield Replacment

An update on the wonderful Safelite company. Our replacement from them that horridly distorted cracked at the heating element. Changed under warranty.

Now the (2nd!) replacement has a stress crack the originates from edge(under rubber molding) of windshield with no apparent hit. Maybe a burr left during installation. They are coming back with windshield and likely will replace under warranty.

Just insist on OEM Carlex glass and moulding.

Actually, can you do me a favor? Can you take a photo of the brand and markings in the bottom corner of the cracked glass?

I've had my windshield replaced twice. once last summer, once this summer. Stupid road rocks on 93... the first one was an original part, the second one is an aftermarket part. the aftermarket part doesn't LOOK like it has the heating element, but i've been assured by the company that it DOES. and if it doesn't, I'll have them swap it out in December.

I HIGHLY recommend getting a nice big crack (through no fault of your own, of course) in your windshield and have it replaced. it's CRYSTAL Clear.

Best thing of all, MA REQUIRES insurance companies to cover windshields with $0 deductible.

those of you who live in New England will know who "you call when your windshield's busted..."

I had a rock hit mine on the highway a few weeks after I bought the car. I called my insurance company (I have no deductible on glass) and they sent someone over pretty quickly. I can't remember if it was Safelite or not, but I think it was. They came with OEM Carlex glass and replaced it pretty quickly at no charge to me. The work looks good and everything seems to be just like new with my windshield. I may have only gotten OEM glass because my insurance covers OEM replacement parts.

• 1 month later...

anyone use safelite in the northern nj area?

ive got the heated cloth seats (non-limited i guess?), and im not even sure the windshield is heated, but i was asked if i had heated seats.

got quoted 330+tax+labor, but unsure if they use oem/carlex.

besides safelite, any other suggestions?

Safelite replaced mine about 2 years ago. After they replaced it in 24 degree weather I let it sit for 24 hours in the garage and let the glue cure like the installer suggested. It was $206 dollars that State Farm picked up 100% of the bill for. No way I should have to pay for that garbage.

No leaks, no anything now, perfect job. The guy reinstalled the XM antenna and actually put a heated wiper version into my 2.5i. He said it's $5 dollar difference for the company, so they just buy the wiper heater version for all of them. I've got the 'vacation pics' and an FPGA that I'm going to program to get the wiper heaters to work someday.

All in all, call the insurance cause most of the time they will replace it without worrying about the deductible.

Safelite replaced mine about 2 years ago. After they replaced it in 24 degree weather I let it sit for 24 hours in the garage and let the glue cure like the installer suggested.

We are on our 3rd Safelite windshield. First one very distorted and finally cracked at heat element with hit. They replaced fre and had a stress crack start under rubber moulding. Now the third windshield is okay except my wife who notices very little (thowout bearing screaming did not bother her) sees a distorted area out of the line of vision to the right.

Insist on Subaru OEM glass if you want it to be the same.

I had mine replaced, the insurer only wanted to pay for the cheap third-party glass. So in went the cheap one. The blue tint was hardly visable and it was warped/rippled to crap and the moulding didn't fit right.

A week later, out it came and an OEM piece sourced through the dealer went in.

No warps, proper tint strip, moulding fit like it should.

Ditto with mine. Get OEM the first time, and take "Before" pics of the trim

And make sure they know how to remove the interior A-pillar trim.

One of the gorillas at the glass shop yanked so hard on one of mine that he broke the clip right off. I only knew about it because I could smell the silicone glue he used to stick it back on with...

They ordered a new one of those from the dealer too.

You can't pull the trim off. There are clips that hold it in place at the top. You pry the trim away just enough to slide something thin down from the top a couple of inches, depress the clip and it pops right off. It's done like this so that should the airbag deploy, the trim doesn't fly off and hit you in the face.

• 5 months later...
when i got a chip in my windshield, the 10 dollar window fix kit from walmart worked outstanding. i mean, i rushed it and added more pressure then i was supposed to and got the resin all over my windshield and it hardened instantly in the sun. I spent a good 3 hours scraping is off. BUT! the chip is gone! (was a sonic chip to)

Archived