LegacyGT.com

OK, so which wheels? I mean, sure they

mtnsubie

may be different construction, 2 or 3 pc, or have rivets for cosmetics or not, but really, what is the difference when it comes to function? The ride or performance quality? As long as the wgt is close to stock and the OD close to stock, what are we talking about here?

Admittedly, I've been away from the street scene for awhile, but some of the $150 wheels look just as nice and are about the same wgt as the $500 wheels.

I'm thinking of just picking up a wheel/tire package of the 18" Speedy Lite 6 wheels w/225/40/18 Kumho 711s for $700 shipped w/lugs, mounted and balanced. Anyone deal w/Wheelsnext.com? They've got some great prices..

Whats the word, boys?

Oh, I just bought a Legacy Limited 2.5i. I didn't need the turbo, but loved the good MPG and the cool looks of the wagon...and that expansive moonroof is awesome on starry nights!

well, if you are not looking for race or high performance use, and you dont care about the actual construction, any rim will do, and weight? well, it wont be your high priority anyways. Forging, semi-solid forging, casting, rim-rolling, MAT and other types of making wheels do have a difference in terms of structural integrity (and the price will reflect that). 2 and 3 piece construction helps lowers the weight as well as rim-replacement (where hoop is damaged and all you do is replace the hoop and not the entire rim and thats where the rivets or bolts come into play). Some are welded together. And another thing is weight from a 17" to and 18" also is a factor, just because the rim is 2 to 3 lbs lighter than a 17" rim, that doesnt mean that the momentum calcuations are the same.. same goes for the tire as the 18" type tires do get heavier, hindering performance. Street scene or not, it's a performance issue, and you dont need to be in the "street" scene to know what's hot at a real race track (where it really matters the most).

There are differences, factors and the such, but they wont matter in terms of construction to you if you are just going for the looks. Kumho 711s are probably the worst tire for even daily driving. You might want to pick something else even though the price package is cheap..

all in all, you actual do get what you pay for, just think twice of what you want first before you actually take the action to make the purchase, that way, you save a lot of trouble.

Keefe

Keefe

Pieced together wheels have a couple advantages. They are able to be rebuilt in sections if damaged. They typically are constructed so the Unsprung weight is close to the HUB. Most of the advantages only matter if your driving an all out race car that has every other trick in the book done (it all adds up)

to understand the myriad of choices out there. So, the Kumho's are not good for daily driving? What should I go with then? Daily commuting is what I'm after. I won't be doing any performance racing or autocross with them. I"m only going after long threadlife and good dry/wet traction.

Thanks for the advice...

Toyo T1-S, BFGoodrich KDW2s, Bridgestone Pole Position S-03, Goodyear F1 DS-G3 are really the bang for the buck with the bias to overall performance.

Falken Fk 451, Kumho MX, Hankook RS2 Z212s, and possibly a few others are also bang for the buck with price being the higher priority.

Compound is important to have something that is still sticky and have enough sipes to push the water out to prevent hydroplaning.

Kumho 711s compound is horrible, it's only a good drift tire to burn up and beat on.. once it rains or start off on a cold day, you might as well think that it just snowed or the roads are frozen over.

There are more tires out there, but these are the popular summer tires to have and to use.

Keefe

Keefe

good advice again. it's been so long for me in the street scene. when i was in the scene the hot tire was the yokohama A008. i had those on my lowered 200sx (when nissan was still known as datsun). do they even make those anymore? only thing it was a pretty soft compound so they didn't last very long.

now, im just a commuter with my little girl in tow. i don't need to race her to school. just get her there safely and with gas savings and threadlife. but its fun to have some cool looking wheels while driving too.

so, what about wheelsnext.com? they good? the Speedylites w/tires for 7bills seems ok. depending on if i can get them with one of those tires you mentioned, keefe.

I'm tired of buying the big dollar wheel packages just to save a couple a pounds.... done that. Unless you race for a living, your just wasting money.

I bought some Volk "copies" size 18X7.5 at 20.5 lbs apiece, shod with KDW2 for 1400 bucks sent to my door. Still a chunk of change but far less than I used throw away...er spend.

yeah, my point exactly. i used to drop buko bucks into my ride. now the car is not my priority.

so wat r the opinions out there on the Speedy Lite 6 wheels in the package on wheelsnext.com? they look ok though they do have those rivets, which are probaby fake.

or if you could point me in the direction of some decent wheels/tires for under 8bills. i like the thin spoke design.

??

Archived