LegacyGT.com

E85 Tuning Gurus - Please Help

Spec B

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok...finally dismantled the housing to take a look.

The bottom O-Ring looked perfect and so did the one in the white clip. The green O-ring that goes in the black clip...not so much. It is warped....check out the pics.

DSC00228.thumb.jpg.6a592f708c7cb73d5a45512b18a0cbdb.jpg

DSC00248.thumb.jpg.c51cca1b810f5c8a39a3677b64a131e6.jpg

DSC00227.thumb.jpg.51b5f12db2fd911adf5cdb6a7cd6e4de.jpg

DSC00229.thumb.jpg.2e7c4d845555e3244d43ad0b1485c087.jpg

Not really sure if that is enough to cause the lack of flow issue, especially since that O-ring fits very tightly into the cylinder it goes into. I would think that the misformation would get corrected when it is clipped in place....just not sure.

Anyone know where I could get a replacement?

Autozone and Oreilly carry them. They are in the Help! section. The "Help!" part # is 80020 for 18pc ass. viton O-rings.

Let us know if you get a new oring and then put it back together to see if it works again.

I think the oring could fix it......

• 2 weeks later...
Ok...finally dismantled the housing to take a look.

The bottom O-Ring looked perfect and so did the one in the white clip. The green O-ring that goes in the black clip...not so much. It is warped....check out the pics.

[ATTACH]103315[/ATTACH][ATTACH]103316[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]103317[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]103318[/ATTACH]

Would you be willing to put the AVO back in your car with a new o'ring and see how it does?

My motor is about done and Cobb will be tuning it again soon and I am curious if a new O'ring would fix your problem.

If it did I would have Cobb pull my pump and check it.

Sorry - I have not had any time to do it, still need to get the Oring. Weekends are filled with kids b-day parties and trips to the beach. I suggest you just pull the pump - it is very easy to pull and inspect.

Yea no problem, kinds are WAY more important.

My problem is car us at Cobb Plano for new motor and ID1000

Injectors and will be tuned.

Guess I'll have to have them pull the pump before the tune and check it.

Thanks for your input though with the swap, it's very interesting we both

Have had the same issue and the pump swap fixed yours even though

The AVO is still pumping

I suspect the problem was there on day 1 for me and it did not show itself because I was running 93 octane with a VF43 (IDCs in the 70s). Once I went E85 my 740s were maxed out by 4500 RPM. So when I got 850s and they were also maxed out I suspected the pump.

I am leaning towards it being the Oring (not the pump).

FWIW when it was -25 to -30 outside the way I had to scale my ID1000s indicates to me that I was running out of fuel pressure with my AVO pump, but other then that it worked great. (actually worked good in cold temps, just seems to me as I was slightly running out of pressure)

Quick update - with fueling stabalized car is running very strong..latest airboy and a few log - 85 degrees and humid. Boost is still a little out of control Gauge says it is peaking near 24 psi, I need to get that down to 21 or 22. I also need to address a lean tip issue - E85 is so forgiving that it is not a big deal - car runs great.

romraiderlog_20110821_095139.csv

858763065_E85-8-21.jpg.f8d56e31a68f549bd863f1ef039842c6.jpg

romraiderlog_20110821_093903.csv

Also - Got the replacement Oring installed in the AVO pump and reassembled the pump housing - still running 3/4 tank of fuel, need to burn that off to 1/4 before I can attempt the pump swap.

Swapped back in the AVO today - the replacement oring did not fix the issue.

Scooby - you may need a new pump. :(

Thanks for the link to your thread... my AVO fuel pump died this weekend, luckily the car was in the driveway....

Your situation sounds eerily familiar to mine back in my Talon days, had good injectors and what I thought was a good pump... kept seeing higher IDCs than I should have and having to add way too much fuel on the top end, it didn't make sense... All of a sudden one day my motor popped by breaking a valve stem, I suspect the leaning out up top had weakened the valve stem and it finally broke... when I got the new motor in, I replaced the fuel pump as well, and flattened fuel out the way it should have been...

I'm now terrified of this happening again after having the pump fail this weekend... Adding a wideband would help I suppose, I wonder if adding a fuel pressure gauge would be better? At least then I could see if fuel pressure was keeping 1:1 with boost? Any thoughts after your situation?

Yeah.... I was just ass*u*ming that fuel pressure would be better for someone non-obsessive like me... I always know fuel pressure would be base+boost, whereas wideband will be slightly varied at WOT and at other times and not an absolute number...

• 2 weeks later...

well o2 sensors read lambda ( stoic mixture)

so running gas 14.7 = lambda 1.00

running e85 11 -1 ( or so ) the lambda is still 1

your using the innovate sensor is 1-2 volt 1.5 volt being stoic ( best mixture)

i seen this looking at your data log how the wideband was showing numbers 9.5 - 20 afr.

and i was like uh some thing is not right...

so if you have not changed your o2 sensor to e 85 settings

your target number for afr is still 14.7

( its this way because commonly the sensors are used for gas )

and if you scaled you injector flow 60 % your target s should still be 14.7

you can return your injector flow to original and then set the open loop flueling to 11-1 afr scale your 02 sensor to display correctly for e 85

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Ahh...got it now. I thought you meant the scale the stock 02 sensor.

No - I have not changed the setting on the WB02 - it is just easier for me to use afr since all the targets on the map are shown as afr (not shown in lambda) and I am accustomed to seeing afr.

That does not make sense to me.

My car idles at what equates to 14.7 afr and runs perfectly - no way it is in the 11s. Under boost I am targeting what equates to 11.4 ish which is in line (maybe a little richer) than what other tuners run on E85. There is no way I am running as rich as you describe without any side effects.

Archived