LegacyGT.com

Dead starter?

So, I think my starter has all but given up the ghost. But I thought I'd pick the collective brains here for anything I might have missed.

Symptoms:

1. Everything powers on, turning the key to the START position does everythign it should except for activating the starter.
  2. No clicks or any noise from the starter.
  3. Battery checks out fine (12.9V and 629 CCA on a 590 CCA battery)
  4. I can kick-start the car with a rolling start.

#1 tells me the fuses are ok. On one of my other cars I had a similar issue, but it was a bad fuse that had fatigued apart instead of blown so it looked good.

#2 makes me think the solenoid isn't firing.

#3 leads me to believe that replacing the battery would be pointless.

#4 tells me that the security system recognizes the key, or it wouldn't activate the ignition.

Anyone have any other ideas? I've gotten the starter to work a couple times since this problem arose, but I'm pretty sure it's the starter.

IMO, the starter's solenoid isn't popping out to engage flywheel. And just throwing this out there, eliminate the floor switch as having been possibly failed. sounds stupid, but I've had what seemed like engine damage on my last car be fixed with a $2 spark plug...

You could check the ground wire connection to the starter. This happened to me once when the car was relatively new. I had it towed to the dealer and that was the issue. Other wise I would think solenoid too.

IMO, the starter's solenoid isn't popping out to engage flywheel. And just throwing this out there, eliminate the floor switch as having been possibly failed. sounds stupid, but I've had what seemed like engine damage on my last car be fixed with a $2 spark plug...

I thought of that, but when the car is running, the clutch pedal has no problems disengaging cruise control. Unless it's two separate switches? Hmm, now that I think about it. I'll see if I can find out.

I hope you cleaned the battery terminals before you posted on here ?

I connected the battery tester to the body of the terminal clamps to put any corrosion between the battery and tester. So I don't think that's the issue.

You could check the ground wire connection to the starter. This happened to me once when the car was relatively new. I had it towed to the dealer and that was the issue. Other wise I would think solenoid too.

Seems odd for that to happen now on the car, but I'll give the wires a jiggle and see if they're loose.

I thought of that, but when the car is running, the clutch pedal has no problems disengaging cruise control. Unless it's two separate switches? Hmm, now that I think about it. I'll see if I can find out.

I connected the battery tester to the body of the terminal clamps to put any corrosion between the battery and tester. So I don't think that's the issue.

Cruise control will disengage if you depress clutch without the switch been touched. Not related imo. Anyhow, hope its the floor switch. It usually is the little things.

Archived