LegacyGT.com

charging an capacitor

kopke

Hi people.

I just got myself a 4.0 farad capacitor from SPL. I'm wondering how long it will take to fully charge it. I've heard that not fully charging it before use can result in damage.

Capacitors don't help anything except light dimming. Don't bother installing it unless you feel your car is too light and needs ballast.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Sweet baby jesus. How is it that people put in zero effort, and are completely OK with it?

Hi people.

I just got myself a 4.0 farad capacitor from SPL. I'm wondering how long it will take to fully charge it. I've heard that not fully charging it before use can result in damage.

You'll need to get out your volt meter and resister. Cap is fully charged when the same voltage is read across positive and negative terminals as the power source.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I wouldn't call a cap a bandaid or any other such name. They have a purpose and can be beneficial when used for their intended purpose. The problem is when shops and no0bs use them instead of proper wiring upgrades/alt upgrade/additional battery(s). I've used caps before and as long as you understand their purpose and limitations I see no harm. IMHO

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

His apparently reads "4.0far" - I'm not sure how that falls under the guidelines.

Ahh! I was wondering what the heck those red letters were. I gather you corrected his original quote in your post, and then he edited the original to reflect your red letters? Wonderful! :lol:

Ok, blanket statement: n00bs shouldn't handle anything with 4.0 on it, whether it's farads, liter displacement, or software revision.

I can keep dumbing this down until we get all the n00bs covered, just let me know if I'm there yet :)

[/offtopic]

Ohh I just love the atmospherer on this site. All floting whit people whit no knowledge what so ever on the subject butt all willing to pik on the forren dyslexig guy.

FYI. Capacators are NOT useless and are NOT yust a fix of bad wiering. A standard car is using 50%min of the electisity that it produses. Addin a few thousund whats of audio equpment is like having 2 grown men sheer a hart. Hardly a good idea.

So if any one hear has a straight answer fore me I'm all ears but fore the rest of u GTFO plix

Perhaps if you provided some additional info of the equipment in your stereo system then some positive useful feedback could be offered.

"whit no knowledge what so ever on the subject". FYI, I do have extensive knowledge on the subject being a past SQ competitor and winner (with stereos that were installed by myself). However, with such a noob post then I would only assume that you have no idea about car audio/electronics and got told by a salesman that you needed one.

Ohh I just love the atmospherer on this site. All floting whit people whit no knowledge what so ever on the subject butt all willing to pik on the forren dyslexig guy.

FYI. Capacators are NOT useless and are NOT yust a fix of bad wiering. A standard car is using 50%min of the electisity that it produses. Addin a few thousund whats of audio equpment is like having 2 grown men sheer a hart. Hardly a good idea.

So if any one hear has a straight answer fore me I'm all ears but fore the rest of u GTFO plix

I gave you a straight answer. If your too dumb to read then GTFO.

I gave you a straight answer. If your too dumb to read then GTFO.

Sorry. Yes you gave me a good straight answer and I'm thankfule. Thoe I'm not shur if I fully understand your answer.

"volt meter and resiste" I have a resister. It came whit the cap. But I don't know how to use it and wher to put it. Is it sopous to ge betrwen the + on my battery and the + on tha cap?

I don't have a volt meter but my cap has a volt display. That shude do the tric right?

And finaly and I know this my be a qeustion that can't be properly ansverd cus it my depend on to meny factors but how long can it take fore the capacitor to fully charge? 2 min? half an hour?

One more thing. Say i nead to remove the hole thing? Do I nead to do some discharging in tha capacitor to be on the save side?

One more thing. Say i nead to remove the hole thing? Do I nead to do some discharging in tha capacitor to be on the save side?

I wanted to make a joke about a screwdriver across the terminals but I have a feeling he'd actually do it :hide::lol:

Use the resister on the positive terminal until the cap is charged.

The resister (get this) resists the flow of electrons so the cap will charge more slowly and not blow up. Once the cap is fully charged remove the resister.

To do this properly you really Should get a volt/multi meter.

And FYI if your using this cap on a system drawing 2k+ watts without at least two batteries (or one good dry cell) and big 3 upgrade and a high output alternator then your using it wrong and it'll just be a bandaide masking other electrical issues.

If you have a fully-charged 4-farad capacitor and handle it improperly, it will more than likely kill you.

I was half-joking, half-serious with the whole "n00b" post earlier. If you are asking questions like "where does the resistor go" when charging the capacitor, you probably should not be installing it in the first place. This is not a matter of pride -- it could be a matter of life and death.

No joke there.

If you have a fully-charged 4-farad capacitor and handle it improperly, it will more than likely kill you.

I was half-joking, half-serious with the whole "n00b" post earlier. If you are asking questions like "where does the resistor go" when charging the capacitor, you probably should not be installing it in the first place. This is not a matter of pride -- it could be a matter of life and death.

No joke there.

And how whode that happen? Me holding both + an 1 on the caacitor whit the car and the system on? It's geting a bit frustreiting that people thing i'm some sort of retard yust cus I can't spell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dislexyia

And how whode that happen? Me holding both + an 1 on the caacitor whit the car and the system on? It's geting a bit frustreiting that people thing i'm some sort of retard yust cus I can't spell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dislexyia

This has nothing to do with how you write. This has to do with the sort of basic questions you are asking, which indicates lack of knowledge in the matter and you are playing with hardware that can kill you.

Please don't become a Darwin award winner. Let someone that knows what they are doing handle your work.

You are looking down the barrel of a loaded gun.

Archived