LegacyGT.com

Questions about going turbo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On a build like this, why is there not any pictures or videos to document it?

he does have a pretty good point...

either way, it's cheeper and more efficient to get a 2 liter turbo.

just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

• I Donated

either way, it's cheeper and more efficient to get a 2 liter turbo.

BINGO! lol

Im sure the EJ25D can be boosted, but how long it will last is the question. Repetitive stress is what destroys these engines. Sure they did 30 dyno pulls on it, but thats the equivlent of two days of my driving to work or just a few track days. Would the EJ25D last for 50 or 60 dyno pulls without blowing up? Would i be able to daily drive it for a year? Doubtful. However I know I can trust my EJ20R with the job.

If this EJ25D is real, then I bet it would be toast after one mountain run or one track day

Sent from my Android powered HTC HD2

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

yea i dont see how the 25d is sooooo much weaker than the 22e..both open decks

It's the strength of the cylinder walls. Since the EJ22E has thicker cylinder walls, it can withstand higher pressure. That doesn't take away from the potential the EJ25 already has. It's just that the EJ20/22 can handle a bit more when they're all tuned properly.

to Baddog: why would an all motor honda beat an all motor subaru? and a turbo honda beat a turbo subaru?

I'll answer this, if you don't mind. Hondas are lighter & their power to weight ratio is staggering compared to what we have. Not only that, they don't have the powertrain loss that we do (Subaru = 25% loss - Honda = 12% loss), meaning we put down a lot less whp under boost compared to FWD Hondas since we're AWD.

EJ18 I believe are semi closed and some closed deck blocks.

All EJ18s are open deck.

Is it just the cylinder walls that people say is the weak point?

They are weaker by being thinner. However, this doesn't mean that they aren't strong in their own respect. It's more of the tune, build, & materials used in these blocks that determine their destruction.

We have a forged crank too I believe.

EJ18/22s have forged cranks & the 22T has forged rods.

1) You aren't going to have a reliable setup if you design your own block. Subaru knows more than you, and unless you are an engineer with a passion for being single and quitting your day job, you aren't going to design and let alone build your own engine block in any short amount of time.

2) Why bother with a 25D? Just get an STi short block and call it good. $1800 for a NIB STI short block vs. $2500 for a sleeved 25D... and you still need rods, pistons, and bearings.

Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick two. If you want fast and reliable, you will have to spend some money.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived