LegacyGT.com

The COMPLETE beginner's guide to e-tuning (with a vendor and VAG-COM cable)

Adoniram

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine always want the drivers reinstalled every time I re-open RR and ECU Flash. I do it by opening the software with no cable connected, connecting the cable and letting the drivers load automatically. Then it works. I have to load drivers every time though.

Hey been searching for this but can't find the answer - will this work on my macbook pro or do I need to use a windows OS?

Also, is this the right vag com? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vag-Com-USB-Interface-KKL-409-1-OBD2-OBD-AUDI-VW-SEAT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3366d424d4QQitemZ220768511188QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

05 LGT btw.

Well that appears to be it, but personally I would just buy it through M Sprank. You know you'll get the right cable, program, drivers, etc.

No idea if it'll work with an Apple OS, but my guess is it's highly unlikely. The software might, but the drivers would almost certainly not. Drivers tell an OS how to interface with hardware and the ones supplied are made for Windows. Do you have a friend with a real laptop--I mean, a Windows-based laptop--that you can borrow? ;)

Also, you can try dual booting your Mac with something like Parallels.

Thats the right cable. But if you get it delivered in 2 months you did good. Chinese sellers are notorious for super slow shipping. I have them in stock here in the US.

I got mine in about 2 weeks from one of the ebay places in Hong Kong that listed delivery in about 14 days. They also said it would work with Windows 7 but of course there's no differentiation between 32 and 64 bit versions. I haven't done my turbo swap yet so can't comment on my ultimate success with what I bought. If you want to gamble on saving money and long delivery time you may make out OK with ebay but if you want to be sure of what you're getting go with the cable package from Mike.

GREAT instructions!!! Help, I performed the required pull in second gear starting under 2k to redline and the format from my log was saved as a XML file. The tuner needs CSV. Any idea how to save the pull as a CSV???

Just to be clear, which version of RomRaider are you using?

Also, when you begin a log, are you clicking the button across the top of the program or doing something else?

In the program, click Settings > Log File Output Location.

Is this where you're looking for your log files?

What OS are you using?

What is the actual full filename of the log file that you ARE seeing?

I actually sent the files to a folder on my desktop so they would be easy to find. I am using XP. I do not know the actual full name of the log file. When I open the folder the pull is listed as a XML Document. When I click the file a new internet widow opens. My tuner suggested that I just click LOG TO FILE instead of F1. Thanks for your help thus far!

Ok, this XML file, what is its exact filename? Like, "Romraider_log_31411.csv" or is it something like "logger.xml"

I need to know the exact filename.

Also, there's 2 different RomRaider programs that are installed when you set it up. There's RomRaider Logger, and RomRaider EcuEditor. You're sure you're using the right one?

I know these questions seem simple, but sometimes it's the simplest thing that's the problem.

Hey, I like simple questions!! I apperciate your help! I am using the RomRaider ECU Logger program. After I did the pull I clicked File and Save Profile As. I typed the name I wanted to call the pull. Under FILES OF TYPE it says ECU Logger User Profiles (.xml). Then I clicked Save If I click on the drop down at the Files of type the only other choice All Files. I can't figure out the exact filename. When I click the filder where I saved the pull an new window opens up with C:/Documents and Settings/Lee/Desktop/pull412/first pull.xml.

I think I need to click the Log to file button. I think that will give me the desired .csv file. Unfortunately the car I am doing this work on belongs to a friend and he has it while on vacation for the next couple of weeks. I am trying to do all my problem solving while he is gone.

My Chinese cable came with a mini-CD that did not include any version of ECU Flash. Any chance of someone emailing it to me? Every link I've found for the drivers is dead.

PS I already sent money to msprank for the eTune...didn't know you offered the cable too :(

Edited by TWBarrett

Hey, I like simple questions!! I apperciate your help! I am using the RomRaider ECU Logger program. After I did the pull I clicked File and Save Profile As. I typed the name I wanted to call the pull. Under FILES OF TYPE it says ECU Logger User Profiles (.xml). Then I clicked Save If I click on the drop down at the Files of type the only other choice All Files. I can't figure out the exact filename. When I click the filder where I saved the pull an new window opens up with C:/Documents and Settings/Lee/Desktop/pull412/first pull.xml.

I think I need to click the Log to file button. I think that will give me the desired .csv file. Unfortunately the car I am doing this work on belongs to a friend and he has it while on vacation for the next couple of weeks. I am trying to do all my problem solving while he is gone.

Aha! I understand.

When you click "Log to file" (or just hit F1) RomRaider automatically creates the CSV file for you. You don't have to save or anything.

Next time you get this computer, open RomRaider and click Settings, then Log File Output Location... Make a note of this location.

Navigate to that folder, and in there you will see your CSV files, already created for you :)

My Chinese cable came with a mini-CD that did not include any version of ECU Flash. Any chance of someone emailing it to me? Every link I've found for the drivers is dead.

PS I already sent money to msprank for the eTune...didn't know you offered the cable too :(

I bet if you talk to msprank, he'll be willing to send you those drivers and that program. I'm not entirely sure about distributing that stuff myself, since he has put it all together nice and neat on the CD he provided me. Ask him and let me know.

The software and drivers are free to anyone that needs them.

Can I take you up on this offer? I just received my BNR18g from Brian and have an old vag-com cable that I ordered about a year ago. Unfortunatley, I never got around to using it because the whole flashing/logging thing just confused me. Now I am going to need to get a tune from Shamar pretty quickly but am at a loss on how to get it installed. Thanks for any help,

Kyle