LegacyGT.com

The COMPLETE beginner's guide to e-tuning (with a vendor and VAG-COM cable)

Adoniram

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Adoniram! And great write up. Very very helpful. I followed the directions, but in Windows Vista Home Premium (64bit), here is a small change:

When you plug your VAG-COM cable in, you'll get a pop-up. Click the option that says "don't do anything this time, but prompt be again next time". Next, go straight to your Device Manager and install from there. If you try to install from the pop-up, you'll never be given the option to tell Windows where to look for the drivers. Also, be sure to use the drivers in the x64 folder in the Drivers folder (not sure of exact extension).

great write up. Two things maybe to add:

one you can hit the defroster button to start logging to file, a little safer that fiddeling with the computer(I leave my lid closed while I do a pull)

and two I test write with before I flash with ECU flash, its a precautionary measure to make sure I didn't screw anything up(and it has saved me b4)

Still not able to get the ECUFlash to work with the Vag cable, I keep receiving this message "No Vehicle Interface." The Vag cable will work & connect to the ECU in the car with both RomRaider Logger, & Learning View.

I've tried installing/uninstalling all of the software, & all of the drivers for the software & the cable (I've lost count of all the times I've done this). But nothing I've done will get the ECUFlash to connect.

Ok, sort of confused here, Been looking for answers. If I need to start a new post I will.

This will be for a 08 LGT Limited with the 5EAT automatic. Car is stock for now, looking to learn more about tuning. Will probably pay for a protune or at least e-tune down the road.

First lets make sure I got the process right. I will use my Openport 2.0 to physically connect my laptop to my car, then I use ECUFlash to read/access my ROM, them RomRaider to log and edit my ROM, then ECUFLASH the modified map back to my cars ECU.

1.) Does any know for sure if RomRaider supports the 08+ 5EAT ECU rom's

All I found was small a bit in post 19 of this thread http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/learning-tuningi-133458.html?t=133458&highlight=tactrix+5EAT

2.) If so do I need to download RomRaider ECU and logger definition files from somewhere other than the Romraider site (http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=360 and here http://www.romraider.com/forum/topic1642.html)

Any explanations or help?

Tomkat1127, I would start a new thread for your questions. This thread is specific to the VAG-COM cable which is only applicable to 05 and 06 LGT's from what I understand. However, I believe the process is the same for flashing, reading, and logging. The difference is the cable and drivers that come with it.

schastleevo, it sounds like you've had nothing but trouble with your computer. To better help, can you please tell me:

What OS you're using?

What version of ECU flash you're using?

What is the name of the ECU definitions file you're using?

Where did you get the ECU definitions file from?

Where is the ECU definitions file residing on your hard drive now?

Adoniram so if I get the "FT232R USB UART A400fMY4" inthe bottom right corner and can read the rom but when I go to select my vehicle (05 obxt 5mt) it is not there. lgt baja turbo,impreza the gangs all there but mine. Does this mean I don't have the correct definitions for my car? If so where would I find those?

Adoniram so if I get the "FT232R USB UART A400fMY4" inthe bottom right corner and can read the rom but when I go to select my vehicle (05 obxt 5mt) it is not there. lgt baja turbo,impreza the gangs all there but mine. Does this mean I don't have the correct definitions for my car? If so where would I find those?

Save this file to your hard drive:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/download/file.php?id=9917&sid=cd6f64a3ef0fe6bae965ca52794ee2e7

Open the zip file, and extract the folder to your metadata folder.

(see step 13 in the first post)

I think m sprank should hire me as a consultant... :rolleyes:

it sounds like you've had nothing but trouble with your computer.

It's just about like the car.

What OS you're using?

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

What version of ECU flash you're using?

ecuflash_setup129a.exe

What is the name of the ECU definitions file you're using?

ECUFLASH STANDARD units SUBARU ECU definitions 0.8.3.1b

Where did you get the ECU definitions file from?

These came on the disc that I purchased from infamous performance

Where is the ECU definitions file residing on your hard drive now?

I extracted these to the file OpenECU\EcuFlash\rommetadata

I've actually tried it several times with both the ECUFLASH STANDARD units & the ECUFLASH METRIC units loaded seperately of course.

I'm having a similar problem as you schasteevo and have the same set up. when I open EcuFlash, under task info box, it shows...

[00:19:28.015] Unable to find parent metadata 32BITBASE

[00:19:28.031] ROM metadata models A2ZJD00B.xml is invalid

[00:19:28.078] 0 ROM metadata models read

over and over and says the no vehicle interface. but when I plug the cable in it shows USB<->Serial in the bottom right but it doesn't recognizes the car.

Uninstalled and reinstalled EcuFlash and drivers numerous times with the same issue. RR and LV works just fine so I'm stumped!

Another thing that doesn't seem right is under device manager for the port selected it says Tatrix as the driver provider, is that right?

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet. Thanks for the quick response! I'm still trying to get everything right and it's pretty frustrating.

One more thing..

When I plugged the OBDII and VAG-COM in, the VAG-COM installed its' own drivers before I could select which to install. What do i do there?

Also just found out when I open RomRaider Logger, a message comes up saying "Settings file not found. Using default settings." I then click ok and it says my logger definition file is not configured even though I extracted the subaru folder from "ROMRAIDER STANDARD units ECU definitions 0.8.3.1b 10-07-09" into the romraider meta data directory. Maybe since I don't remember ever getting the logger.xml file that might be a problem?

For changing drivers, try this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3331155&postcount=15

As far as RomRaider goes, I think you're mixing up 2 steps. You don't need to extract it to the Metadata folder, which is for EcuFlash. You need to extract the logger.xml file to any location on your hard drive. Then, in RomRaider, click Settings > Logger Definition Location. Navigate to wherever you extracted the "logger.xml" file.

Thanks for the link! I'll be trying that out later tonight.

As for the other problem..

I'm not sure I remember ever seeing the logger.XML file. When was I supposed to get this? I'm one of the few who got a CD with the VAGCOM that didn't have everything on it so I'm manually downloading everything. (probably the reason I'm having troubles)

And to verify, I need both RR and EcuFlash for this process?

Thanks again for the link! I swear I already downloaded the zip and don't remember seeing logger.XML but I'll check again later for that. I have all those programs at least so I'm on the right track there. As for who I bought this from, unfortunately, eBay. If I knew I could buy it from Infamous, I would have.

Learning View works alright with different drivers, but EcuFlash HAS to be a specific version (pre 1.29 I think) and the drivers have to be the ones that came bundled with that version. It's weird, but it's actually done by design so that future revisions of EcuFlash would only work with the Tactrix cable.

Following Adoniram's walkthrough VERY carefully worked for me. I probably read each step a dozen times.

Yes, and as for the string of characters in ECUFlash alerting you that your cable is working properly, I also had something different after " xxx A400___"

Keep working at it. I was sure that I'd done it properly but it wasn't working, so I uninstalled and started over. That did the trick for me.

Learning View works alright with different drivers, but EcuFlash HAS to be a specific version (pre 1.29 I think) and the drivers have to be the ones that came bundled with that version. It's weird, but it's actually done by design so that future revisions of EcuFlash would only work with the Tactrix cable.

So I still need to get my driver situation worked out then right? If so, I'm pretty sure everything else I have is right other than logger.XML that I still need to find. Everything read my car properly..and somehow I have knock out of my 5000 mile old shortblock.. That's a whole different subject haha.

Thanks a lot guys! I'll let you know how it goes when I get a chance to figure this out.

Ok i'm home right now and trying to do this logger.xml thing. Is this file actually called logger or is it the "A2WC511C" (2005 LGT A/T) file that I extracted?

By the way, I was able to update my driver and i'm pretty sure that went smooth! Windows said successful change :)

Edited by blongo804