LegacyGT.com

5eat tranny issues shifting/slipping?

DHracer

Vehicle: 05' LGT (5EAT)

My transmission is definately unique in my LGT. Ever since it has been getting colder, the Transmission has been shifting harder, especially going into 2nd & into 3rd. It shifted very smooth in the summer (when it was warm). I usually let it warm up for a few minutes & it still KICKS. Than after driving it for a couple miles & the tranny "warms" up, it smoothens out & goes back to normal. I have an old truck W/ 260k on the tranny & that doesn't shift as hard as my Subaru in the Winter. I think I may be selling my Subaru soon.

Try resetting the TCU. All you need is a cheap $15 Vag-com cable. Can't hurt.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you have a procedure?

Use a Tactrix V1.3 or a VAG-COM cable. FreeSSM does not work with Tactrix 2.0

If you don't have one, get a VAG-COM KKL 409.1 from Ebay.

I purchased this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290637412911?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Download FreeSSM: http://developer.berlios.de/projects/freessm/

If you have problem installing the software or want more info on FreeSSM see this thread: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/39426-freessm-complete-access-your-ecm-tcu.html

Click on the Clear Memory 2 button.

http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/4219/freessmafterreset.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by joop1987

tcm needs to be relearned, everyone with this problem needs to clear memory 2, then relaern tcm, im pretty sure only dealer can do this procedure being they have subaru select monitor 3. i just had this done on my 4eat and took care of same problem everyone is having.

• Mega Users

I think you can use freessm with an accessport. If not, a dealership wouldn't be able to access anything with SSMIII if you have an accessport. Romraider should also work if that's the case since it also uses ssm.

BTW romraider also works with a vag-com on the 07+ ecus. AFAIK, everything works with vag-com except for ecuflash.

FWIW, I used FreeSSM to reset my TCU, including the learned codes, and ran it awhile. It didn't re-learn on its own. I had to take it to service for a procedure that they use to test, then input values.

Has anyone used FreeSSM to input TCU learned values? If so, I'd like to know the procedure in case it happens to me again.

300k miles, BNR 16g, CryoTune, 'Bullet-Proofed' IC, Motor rebuild @ 250k b/c of a cracked exhaust valve. Original 5 EAT. Oil changed religiously @ 3,000 mi.

• Mega Users

AFAIK, there is no "learning" feature on SSMIII. I think it resets the learned parameters and you jump through a few hoops with the car for it to relearn certain things.

So after the reset, warm it up. All while in D, maintaining a throttle angle of between 8-12%, manually shift gears from 1st through 4th. Then maintaining a throttle angle of 10.5-14.5%, manually shift into 5th. Rinse and repeat until shock is gone.

740683616_TCMlearning.thumb.jpg.1fb0593011988e9cb825bbfff184e78d.jpg

Edited by seabass07

thanks @ seabass07.

I have saved that picture incase, weird enough though after I reset the TCM with freessm software it did it for a few days to a week and now its fine. Drove it over 400+ miles this past xmas and not one hard shift in town or on the interstate.

I was having a problem with my 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd shifts being slow and sluggish. You could feel the car hesitate while the transmission shifted. I bought the $15 vagcom cable, downloaded freessm and cleared memory 2 as per the instructions in this thread. My shifts are now butter smooth...big, big difference!

Thanks Guys!

Can anyone tell me if the reset would potentially help my issue? I have a 05 LGT 5EAT with 97K on it. (I have only had it for 8mo, since she had 76K on it)

Without any type of indication, my transmission started to slip (in all gears) on 12/2. Unlike most others who have posted here, mine does not shift hard, slam into gears or shift late, it will just start to slip while driving in gear (not shifting gears) as if I was pressing the clutch pedal down while driving a MT (or the clutch was burnt out). Once it starts slipping it will not stop and will slip in all gears (which may be right away or after miles of driving), until the car sits for a few hours/days. I brought it around to a few shops and most people did not want to touch it, Subaru just wanted to replace it ($7500+), they said it would cost too much to diagnose (more then $7500?:confused:). Anyway the car drives perfect some days and even to the point that some mechanics say nothings wrong as they can not get it to replicate.

I have done a full transmission flush + filter, not just a drain+fill, but same issues. my mechanic said it could be a solenoid sticking or a issue with a position sensor, but Subaru can not supply him with a part number for the sensor and diagnostics would likely cost a fortune, so as of today I have a used tranny with 47K being delivered to the shop to have it installed.

Does anyone have a clue if this issue sounds like something caused by the TCU losing the learning codes and if so would that have not been picked up when they scanned the TCU? If not, any ideas on what it could be or any idea on how much I could get for a transmission in this shape?

Thanks

Can anyone tell me if the reset would potentially help my issue? I have a 05 LGT 5EAT with 97K on it. (I have only had it for 8mo, since she had 76K on it)

Without any type of indication, my transmission started to slip (in all gears) on 12/2. Unlike most others who have posted here, mine does not shift hard, slam into gears or shift late, it will just start to slip while driving in gear (not shifting gears) as if I was pressing the clutch pedal down while driving a MT (or the clutch was burnt out). Once it starts slipping it will not stop and will slip in all gears (which may be right away or after miles of driving), until the car sits for a few hours/days. I brought it around to a few shops and most people did not want to touch it, Subaru just wanted to replace it ($7500+), they said it would cost too much to diagnose (more then $7500?:confused:). Anyway the car drives perfect some days and even to the point that some mechanics say nothings wrong as they can not get it to replicate.

I have done a full transmission flush + filter, not just a drain+fill, but same issues. my mechanic said it could be a solenoid sticking or a issue with a position sensor, but Subaru can not supply him with a part number for the sensor and diagnostics would likely cost a fortune, so as of today I have a used tranny with 47K being delivered to the shop to have it installed.

Does anyone have a clue if this issue sounds like something caused by the TCU losing the learning codes and if so would that have not been picked up when they scanned the TCU? If not, any ideas on what it could be or any idea on how much I could get for a transmission in this shape?

Thanks (sorry if this posts twice, my work PC is a POS...)

This is the best forum I've ever been a part of... So detailed!! Love it! Keep up the good work guys! I've saved $1000's because of this site

While yes this site has lots of useful information, it's cost me $1,000's.... :spin:

• 1 month later...

Head's up all....

I had the slamming shifting about a year ago and solved the problem with a local shop that diagnosed loss of 'Learned Codes' and reprogrammed them for me.

Last week, I returned from a trip to find my car's battery had run down dead. I had to get a jump from the parking lot staff. I noticed the same slamming shifting problem again immediately.

I called my local Sub dealer and asked if they could reprogram my trans' Learned Codes and they knew immediately what I was talking about. A year ago, their only solution was to change out the trans fluid.

They have received a tech bulletin recently that explains there are 2 problems. When the battery is disconnected from the car 1) the trans loses the 'Learned Codes'. 2) when this happens, the shift soelenoids develop a cavitation in the hydraulic fluid column that must be cleared.

So, I'm scheduled for them to service my car, which will include 1st) clearing the hydraulic lines of cavitations (bubbles?) and 2nd) relearning the learned codes. They state it will take about an hour and will cost $75.

I asked the svc mgr if there is a way to prevent this in the future. He stated that I shouldn't let the car lose power!! So, the next time you need to change your battery, you'll need to jumper with a spare battery, plug in a lighter adapter power input, use a battery charger, or something so that the car never loses power input to the TCU. Note if you use the lighter plug-in, make sure it is connected with the ignition off or you may need to keep the ignition at the 1st contact point.

I saw the Learning Control procedure a couple of posts back. has anyone tried this at home using the FreeSSM or RomRaider or other flashing software? I used FreeSSM last year and didn't see a way to write back to the TCU, but you could clear the Memory2 (Learned) codes. You can clear, but unless you can have it re-learn, it won't do any good. I cleared last year but the TCU doesn't automatically re-learn by itself. Any successes?

300k miles, BNR 16g, CryoTune, 'Bullet-Proofed' IC, Motor rebuild @ 250k b/c of a cracked exhaust valve. Original 5 EAT. Oil changed religiously @ 3,000 mi.

Head's up all....

I had the slamming shifting about a year ago and solved the problem with a local shop that diagnosed loss of 'Learned Codes' and reprogrammed them for me.

Last week, I returned from a trip to find my car's battery had run down dead. I had to get a jump from the parking lot staff. I noticed the same slamming shifting problem again immediately.

I called my local Sub dealer and asked if they could reprogram my trans' Learned Codes and they knew immediately what I was talking about. A year ago, their only solution was to change out the trans fluid.

They have received a tech bulletin recently that explains there are 2 problems. When the battery is disconnected from the car 1) the trans loses the 'Learned Codes'. 2) when this happens, the shift soelenoids develop a cavitation in the hydraulic fluid column that must be cleared.

So, I'm scheduled for them to service my car, which will include 1st) clearing the hydraulic lines of cavitations (bubbles?) and 2nd) relearning the learned codes. They state it will take about an hour and will cost $75.

I asked the svc mgr if there is a way to prevent this in the future. He stated that I shouldn't let the car lose power!! So, the next time you need to change your battery, you'll need to jumper with a spare battery, plug in a lighter adapter power input, use a battery charger, or something so that the car never loses power input to the TCU. Note if you use the lighter plug-in, make sure it is connected with the ignition off or you may need to keep the ignition at the 1st contact point.

I saw the Learning Control procedure a couple of posts back. has anyone tried this at home using the FreeSSM or RomRaider or other flashing software? I used FreeSSM last year and didn't see a way to write back to the TCU, but you could clear the Memory2 (Learned) codes. You can clear, but unless you can have it re-learn, it won't do any good. I cleared last year but the TCU doesn't automatically re-learn by itself. Any successes?

when the battery is disconnected the tcu does not lose it's learned memory 2. fact. you have to do that through SSM and then do a relearn procedure. battery disconnect might clear memory 1, but definitely not 2.

if you have a tranny banging issue, resetting learned 2 can help reduce this but if it eventually comes back, you've got an internal tranny problem

when the battery is disconnected the tcu does not lose it's learned memory 2. fact. you have to do that through SSM and then do a relearn procedure. battery disconnect might clear memory 1, but definitely not 2.

if you have a tranny banging issue, resetting learned 2 can help reduce this but if it eventually comes back, you've got an internal tranny problem

Understood, and I would tend to agree with you. How could they release a product that loses programming when you change the battery!?

But, I'm relaying what the Subie Service Manager said to me.