LegacyGT.com

Top Speed Limiter Removal

You're right. The 5MT does not have a governor on it. A stock 5MT 2.5 Legacy is capable of doing 162.7mph. I've had my 97 Legacy GT 5 speed up to speeds of 150 - 160mph. Yeah, it wasn't a great idea to get that fast on a stock Legacy GT, but I did it. I have a need for speed lol. I've grown up though and now I don't get anywhere near those kind of speeds without the proper equipment.

Just curious, what parts have you installed that are capable of handling that kind of speed?

What tires are you currently running? You're likely running H rated tires, and those support speeds up to 130mph. And regardless of turbo or no turbo...speed is speed. Just because you have a turbo doesn't mean you need better tires. 150mph is 150mph regardless of the engine. How fast you reach the 150mph (or whatever speed you're trying to hit) doesn't matter at all. One thing you have to keep in mind though is that most performance tires are summer tires ONLY. Meaning that they will not grip a cold road, and they most certainly will not give you ANY kind of traction on ice or snow. If you're wanting performance tires, be prepared to be switching wheels every 6 moths like I do

Speeding can and can not be responsible. I belive it depends on how, where, the car, etc. There are several factors that come into play.

Back to the OP, Removing the governor on a car isn't quite a simple task.

So far I've put the brakes from a Legacy GT on it, which means I went from 10 inch rotors up front, to 11.5 inch vented rotors, one piston calipers to 2 pistons, and converted the rear brakes from drums to single piston calipers with solid 10 inch rotors. I've taken 16 inch wheels from another legacy running these tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport&partnum=045ZR6GFSPV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

And put new springs and shocks from a LGT on it. I'm running the stock EJ22E with the 5MT and factory body for now. I'm looking for a LGT body kit for it at the moment. So I havent done alot, but I'm on a budget, so I'm getting what I can when I can. So far its been working great, I want to put stiffer springs on it and lower it a bit, but I'm not in a big hurry for that. I was just wondering if anyone here knew what I could do about the limiter. But I guess I'll just keep going with it for now.

If your car is an automatic it has the limiter. the 5 speed does not.

Its not uncommon for the speedometer to read more then the car will really do. My taurus speedometer reads 120mph but is governed at 112mph. Most cars are like that.

That isn't true. The 5speed is limited too. In stock form these cars really aren't safe going that fast.

Removing the speedo censor cable will put the ecu into limp mode and limit rev. So you probably wouldn't make it over 100 anyway.

Not sure about the removal of the governor/cable, but I assure you that the 5MT does indeed have a governed speed. From the looks of how fast I have had my car(s) in the past (all 5MT Gen2's) the car will not exceed 118-120 MPH. HOWEVER (and this is the interesting part...) it seems my cruise control somehow overrides this governor and I am able to accelerate past the governed speed.

Has anyone else noted and/or tested this? I've complete buried my needle using the cruise control so I'm not sure exactly what speed I was going. Rest assured though, it was definitely climbing...

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Not sure about the removal of the governor/cable, but I assure you that the 5MT does indeed have a governed speed. From the looks of how fast I have had my car(s) in the past (all 5MT Gen2's) the car will not exceed 118-120 MPH. HOWEVER (and this is the interesting part...) it seems my cruise control somehow overrides this governor and I am able to accelerate past the governed speed.

Has anyone else noted and/or tested this? I've complete buried my needle using the cruise control so I'm not sure exactly what speed I was going. Rest assured though, it was definitely climbing...

That's interesting. Because on both my auto and manual legacy it won't let me set cruise over 90mph

• I Donated

oh bull. Ive had my 97 lgt 5mt well over 120 in stock form (with the exception of tires/suspension)

That isn't true. The 5speed is limited too. In stock form these cars really aren't safe going that fast.

Removing the speedo censor cable will put the ecu into limp mode and limit rev. So you probably wouldn't make it over 100 anyway.

Sent from my Android powered HTC HD2

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

oh bull. Ive had my 97 lgt 5mt well over 120 in stock form (with the exception of tires/suspension)

Well the 5mt I had was a 96 L model. So the 2.2.The newer model and LGT may very well be different.

• I Donated
Well the 5mt I had was a 96 L model. So the 2.2.The newer model and LGT may very well be different.

Yeah they are very different. Different ecu and engine. And youre looking at DOHC vs SOHC.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived