LegacyGT.com

New timing belt, now "missing" badly w/no code

Suby Emi

My mechanic replaced the timing belt/water pump on my 1996 Legacy Outback - 170K mileage - 2.5L engine - a few weeks ago. Prior to this my car was running just fine, no problems.

I noticed after picking it up that the car had a rattle under the hood that sounded like a tin can. They had put a screw in the wrong place. Fixed that. When I drove my car away from the shop, it started "missing" badly. Mechanic had driven it before I picked it up and it was running perfectly.

Took it back and they still can't figure out the problem. At first it showed a code for cylinder 4 misfire. They replaced the spark plug and did some other things. They also looked at the timing belt again to make sure all the hash marks lined up correctly, etc etc. Bottom line is that today there is NO CODE showing, but the engine is still not running smoothly and isn't driveable.

Mechanic says he is going to do a few more things tomorrow. By the way, this is a mechanic I've used for 7 years and he is very good and reliable. Very customer oriented, so he isn't a problem for me. His shop has done a ton - and I do mean a ton! - of work on two of my cars, including a Camry timing belt.

He says if they aren't able to diagnose and repair, there is a Suby mechanic across the street and he can take a look.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on with my car?

Status report....after my mechanic spent untold hours troubleshooting, here is what they found: the timing belt kit had several problems with both with the belt itself and also the tensioner. They put a new kit on and it's fine. Mechanic says that the manufacturer will reimburse him, including labor, which I'm so glad to hear because he spent his time on both a Sat. and a Sun. My sweet Suby runs like the Princess she is now. Thanks for everyone who posted here. I really appreciate it.

Archived