LegacyGT.com

won't start......

update: getting compression test done tomorrow, need to get the tool from my buddy again (he's using it on his jeep right now). But, for now there's an interesting twist to this:

when it's not in gear, the engine goes right to redline happily. it sounds smoother than it did before when it was out of lash actually; there's no rough running, no hesitation, nothing wrong. it's only when I have it in gear where there's the weird noise...any ideas?

yep, slushbox :/ when in neutral, it sounds great haha, but it's only in gear where it sounds awful. I would think that if there are bent valves, then it would sound awful all the time, right?

I'm going out now to check the transmission fluid and any other nuances that could be off/loose/f**ked up. Thanks for all of your help guys.

update: don't think the valves are bent. I found that the passenger side valve cover wasn't secured properly...I tried threading the bolt back on, and in the process I broke the damn thing in the hole :( So, it's gonna sit till I can get the valvetrain out of the car and try to get the piece out. Damnit.

But that noise sounded alot like it was coming from there...I bet the pressure and noise was being released past the gasket. Oh well, live and learn.

is there a piece of it sticking out of the head? if so then it could be real easy to take out. if not then i have left hand drill bits from when i snapped a headbolt. also, i have an awesome dremel attachment to smooth out the end of the broken bolt in order to punch a hole in center and be able to drill it out centered. no reason to have the car sitting there. you have my number.

swapping out the rocker assembly, if that is where the mounting bolt hole is for the cover, i can't remember, swapping that out is easy. probably less work than removing the busted bolt. and finding one in the NE should be easy. the down side is they may want to sell you the whole head , not just the rockers. but someone may have one sitting on a shelf.

what year is your 2.2L engine??

motor services inc. on wethersfield avenue in hartford is a subaru specialty shop. a bunch of older guys work there that have been around since the 60-70's and they have loooots of parts laying around you can grab for a few bucks. definately try them if your going to do what john said. they are riiight of the brainard airport rd exit in hartford.

Nope, it's not sticking out of it unfortunately...I've gotta take off the rocker assembly. Then we're gonna try the easy-out set. Fingers crossed, but with it out it should be a generally easy thing as long as we don't screw up the threads. Custom, you're welcome to join tomorrow if you really want haha, I don't see why not.

Why would I want to sell the head? I'm just planning on getting the ltitle bit of bolt out and throwing in a new one from a junker..and it's from 1997, unsure about the miles on it though.

ah gotcha, yeah the left hand drill is a really good idea. I think sometime mid-day, I'll shoot you a text if you're free and want to come over and see the mess of a car that I have hahah.

Yeah, I got the bolt out of the rocker with a dental tool (always handy to have around), and put a new one back in. I found I was missing the grommet on the valve cover, which is why the oil was leaking everywhere. So, no more oil leaking. BUT...

the noise continues. Everything's tight, no loose ends, and yet, at high rpm there's a loud something that sounds like the thing's carbureated. I'm afraid it's a bent valve :spin: But like I said, it only happens in gear, and I went through all the connections and checked the transmission and whatnot. Still confused. Damnit.

Archived