LegacyGT.com

Getting to tuner after turbo install

dbrunone

So I'm looking at doing a turbo swap (not sure which one) at some point. I'm already stg2 with a dyno tune by Dave Brown at MSPT. My question is, if I install the turbo at my place, how can I safetly drive it a few hours to a dyno tuner to get it tuned? Is there a zero-boost map or something I can use? I have a Cobb AP. Thanks for any help

Or just drive in closed-loop while you get there. No big deal. You can hit a little boost without really doing much damage. At low boost levels, regardless of the turbo, you'll flow the same mass of air (compared to a slightly higher boost level on the old turbo). It's fine to get you to the tuner.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Or.. just put the injectors in when you get there :) A new turbo isn't going to do any harm until you put boost into it past the level that the injectors can handle.

There's certainly no harm in taking it easy and driving in the right lane. All cars will be the same at zero to no boost... if you go to a big big turbo, however... something small like 10psi will push a LOT more air and that's no good.. but I'm sure you'd be smart enough to keep your eye on the boost gauge and not drive like an idiot.

Since you have a cobb AP you won't be able to load the map would you? I am not sure what year that the accesstuner will let you load your own since I've always done my own.

You'd be surprised... My ATP 3076 makes 10-11psi with boost control disabled, and it moves less air than the stock turbo did at stage 2. At redline they were almost equal (240 g/s vs 245 g/s with stage 2) but everywhere else it was moving much less air and making noticeably less power.

Anyway, I agree with getting a 'limp' map from your tuner. It'll be fine for the drive to the shop, and I've never heard of anyone being charged extra for that. It's probably exactly the same tune that he's flash first if you brought the car there on a flatbed anyway.

Archived