LegacyGT.com

Where should 5250 Performance be?

mwiener2

I need to move into a larger shop. I'm looking at 3 places right now.

The first is in the Vista Business park between I-25 and Longmont on Hwy 119. As far as location, size, and price, this one is the best. The landlord is being picky about building code and wants me to install thousands of dollars worth of air quality control systems that I don't think I'm even required to have. So I don't know if that space will work out. This space is large enough for me to build an office and waiting area and still have plenty of shop space.

The second space is the smallest and is in the corner of I-25 and Hwy 52. This space is easy to get too because of it's vicinity to I-25.... but because all the roads around here make triangles, it's just as far from home as my current shop at hwy66 and I-25. It's the absolute smallest I could go. This place has a tiny office/waiting area, but has a nice bathroom with a shower. Shower means full size water heater which means lots of hot water for detailing cars.

The third space is on the south side of Longmont behind Safeway off ken pratt. This is the largest space with two garage doors. Lots of space to work and store long term cars. The front/office area is setup weird, but it could work. There is a tiny bathroom in the shop area and the previous tenant left copper air lines on the walls. I don't know how I feel about being IN Longmont though. It takes 10min off my commute, but it also means higher crime rates and more taxes.

So what do you guys think? Where should 5250 Performance be located?

Should I deal with a picky landlord and go for my number 1 choice?

Should I settle for a location that is easy for customers but harder for me?

Should I go all sex and the city?

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Somewhere that's also at 5250 feet!

Or change your name to 5252.

I'd do the first or the third. The second one sounds terrible, and I know what it's like to have a small waiting room and not enough elbow room in the back.

The first, if you can get away with not doing the air quality system, would be the best.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Maybe keep looking also? I would avoid going too far west (and getting closer to Super Rupair). I'd try to stay close to I-25, but possibly venture a little south of where you are now to get closer to Metro Denver to decrease your proximity to most of your clientele. Wouldn't want to be too close to Suba either or that other new place off 74th, so I wouldn't go south of 120th or so. I'd avoid that first option and only consider option #3 so far.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Super doesn't scare me. Since Harv left, all they've used their dyno for is a storage rack. They're also running out of techs that know aftermarket and are willing to work on it. The biggest problem about getting closer to super is price. Boulder is $$$$$$

I'm gonna stay in this longmont I-25 bouldery area mostly because that's where the spaces are for the right price. I also like being in weld county.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

there aren't any spaces available in Lafayette....unless you know of any my Realtor couldn't find. I'm looking for 2000-3000 square feet. 2k-2.5k is ideal

I'm trying to think of some with garages (assuming you need at least one bay?) but there's boatloads of empty office/commercial space here unfortunately

I'm trying to think of some with garages (assuming you need at least one bay?) but there's boatloads of empty office/commercial space here unfortunately

I believe it has to be zoned as automotive repair, which makes things significantly more complicated.

Is that an actual law in CO, that you have to have air quality systems if the car is running inside the shop? Or do you just have to have a squirrel fan with rubber hose to cover the tail pipe and route exhaust outside?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I believe it has to be zoned as automotive repair, which makes things significantly more complicated.

Is that an actual law in CO, that you have to have air quality systems if the car is running inside the shop? Or do you just have to have a squirrel fan with rubber hose to cover the tail pipe and route exhaust outside?

I have no idea.

Because I do mostly performance and not mostly oil changes.... I don't quite fit into the normal "garage" section when it comes to code. You'd be surprised at where I am zoned.

The 2009 International Building Code states that any facility where combustion engines are run must have a ventilation system that is computer controlled with CO sensors. Then it gets into how much air it has to move based on size and use.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

So I found another place thats across the street from where I am now. It's small, but I think it will do.

The previous tenants grew weed so there's exhaust fans already and lots of power outlets.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

So I found another place thats across the street from where I am now. It's small, but I think it will do.

The previous tenants grew weed so there's exhaust fans already and lots of power outlets.

Where are you now? Boulder? Longmont?

Demographically speaking do you think Longmont is a better location than East Boulder/East-Bo County?

Boulder seems to have a lot more Subarus per capita as well as the rich college kids with money to drop into high performance mods.

It close enough to Boulder, people will make the drive. The Boulder location is better as a storefront, but boulder county codes and taxes suck for the actual running of the business. Where I'm located, I'm in weld county and technically in the town of Mead, but with a Longmont mailing address.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived