LegacyGT.com

05 Lgt took a crap

What in gods name are you guys doing to your cars to be going through turbos and short blocks like this? I'm at 95k, no problems. BTW, I change my oil full synthetic every 3,000 miles. Hmmmm.......

Add me to the list of synthetic oil (every 5,000 mile) no problems owner.

One caveat though is that I only have 34k miles on mine.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guys this is scaring me. I just bought an 05 LGT 3 weeks ago with 73,000 miles on it. The previous owner had the turbo replaced and the top end of the motor taken apart to inspect and clean plus new gaskets. The only mods I intended to put on this car was a Stage 1 tune, K&N drop in airfilter, and possibly a tranny cooler for the rare occassion I'll pull my little trailer with, at most, my 600 lbs motorcycle on it. Do I take the chance on this or leave it as is and don't push it for a while?

If you do push it, make sure that you are not out in B.F.E doing so. I'm glad I was close enough to home to get it back. Bad thing was I had to put it on a trailer and tow it 100+ miles to the dealership.

Things going from bad to worse. Warranty company denied repairs, I'm currently disputing that. Looking at a $4500 bill.

I just passed over 100k on mine and she's just fine. Stock motor, Cobb stage 1 map (93 octane).

It just seems like everyone has problems with the '05's since that's all you'll ever really hear about. Very few people will start a thread just reading something like "62k and everything okay". It's bad news that gets all the attention.

Whether leaded or lead-free, thats one hell of a kink when it costs someone thousands of dollars to fix. More like a joke, or maybe I should call it Subapoo.;)

In general lead free bearings were implemented industry wide about that time because they are more environmentally frendly and make recycling blocks easier. I know that Nissan for example also uses lead free bearings. Dont know if they are having any failures, but from what I've read it's generally accepted that the new type bearings are not able to take the abuse the old lead bearings could no matter what the application.

im at 106K and havent had issues since i bought it used back in oct with 100K. Granted its only 6K in miles and I had headaches left n right when i first bought it but things are working out so far "Knock on Wood" Also to the people who feel scared about buying these cars, forums inflate the issues people have with their cars because they isolate specific problems. Of the millions of Legacy's out there the Forums account for a very small portion of the ones being driven.

im at 106K and havent had issues since i bought it used back in oct with 100K. Granted its only 6K in miles and I had headaches left n right when i first bought it but things are working out so far "Knock on Wood" Also to the people who feel scared about buying these cars, forums inflate the issues people have with their cars because they isolate specific problems. Of the millions of Legacy's out there the Forums account for a very small portion of the ones being driven.

Millions is a stretch. And very few have the 2.5 turbo engine that is predominantly discussed on these forums.

lol

It was just kinda funny to me that at the same time my LGT with what I consider very low miles [56,500] went down, someone else on the forum with similar miles starts a new thread with the same catastrophic engine failure. Then within the thread, others chime in about having the same problem with their 05 LGT's. Of course now I'm thinking damn, wish I had seen a thread like this before I purchased a used 05 LGT.I really liked my LGT as far as the way it drove and handled and the features it has for the money. I am pretty pissed right now though because it's costing me alot of money to fix that I wasn't planning on spending on my car. Oh well thats life I guess.

no i know im just saying forums in general isolate things and make it seem slightly more drastic than what it really may be. Its the same on the r6forums im on. But thats why we have forums so teach and learn. Just a "cross your fingers and hope" kinda deal.

I just passed over 100k on mine and she's just fine. Stock motor, Cobb stage 1 map (93 octane).

It just seems like everyone has problems with the '05's since that's all you'll ever really hear about. Very few people will start a thread just reading something like "62k and everything okay". It's bad news that gets all the attention.

There is lots of positive feedback in this thread.

Who has the most miles on their lgt and how are they holding up over the long haul.

I researched quite a bit before pulling the trigger on the leggy, but damn, it hurts that it actually happened to me. Couldn't the alternator have just failed? :lol: Ahh, but such is life.

I maintain my vehicles well, and we'll see how the new block holds up over time.

• 2 weeks later...

An update;

Mechanic said that motor was run either completely out, but more likely very low on oil. As a result, cylinder 3 was severely scared, cylinder 4, piston was broke. When i get the block back I will post some pics.

My faith still remains in subaru, not the idiots like the previous that owned it.

Good to know that it was at least related to prior neglect as opposed to a well maintained motor that randomly decided to blow up.

To add to the list, I bought my LGT in Sept with 73k, am now 82k (Stage 1 for the last 3k) and so far no problems other than usual wear (a chip in the windshield, worn out brake pads, rubber bushings need replacement soon). I beat on it rather often and have plans to track the car in the coming months.

What in gods name are you guys doing to your cars to be going through turbos and short blocks like this? I'm at 95k, no problems. BTW, I change my oil full synthetic every 3,000 miles. Hmmmm.......

Driving it like a granny. Keeping up with maintenance, including regular oil changes. Keeping the engine completely stock.

At least that's how I treated my car, and it's now on its second replacement turbo and a new short block.

I picked up an OB XT with 116k and no real repair history on the car. It had a blown turbo when I bought it. After installing a vf52 turbo, tune and REMOVING the oil strainers in the turbo lines, I have had no issues for about 4 months now of normal and spirited driving. I also did 3 oil changes since buying the car. once before the turbo install, one after the turbo was in for a week and finally the full synthetic redline oil change. I have about 1k on it since the turbo and "knock on wood" no abnormal sounds other than a throwout bearing noise.

Wes.

So I was planning on buying an 05 or newer LGT wagon this summer/fall but after reading this thread I'm starting to have second thoughts. The LGT wagon is everything that I want in a car but I'm not looking to replace an engine just as it gets out of warrenty. Good friend of mine bought an 09 WRX brand new little over a year ago that was shipped from japan, last month the rear diff. had to be replaced, and he drives that thing like old people f*ck. I'm not sure what to think about subies anymore.

An update;

Mechanic said that motor was run either completely out, but more likely very low on oil. As a result, cylinder 3 was severely scared, cylinder 4, piston was broke. When i get the block back I will post some pics.

My faith still remains in subaru, not the idiots like the previous that owned it.

Of course, there's also the chicken-and-egg question: was the engine oil low because of owner neglect, or did it happen due to some failure in the engine?

Of course, there's also the chicken-and-egg question: was the engine oil low because of owner neglect, or did it happen due to some failure in the engine?

I see your point, but can't help but wonder (if it wasn't intentional neglect), how could a leak / burning oil go unnoticed? And i know it wasn't burning. What other way possible?

Hints for long life:

Change oil and filer every 3000k.

Check the oil often and use the LOW side of the dip stick (there is a high and low side.

Don't drive it like it like you stole it.

Just because the motor will turn to 7000 rpm, doesn't mean you need to go there:lol:

55k on stage II and it has MORE power that it had when I first went to stage II.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I see your point, but can't help but wonder (if it wasn't intentional neglect), how could a leak / burning oil go unnoticed? And i know it wasn't burning. What other way possible?

I burned two quarts of oil in a 1/2 hour of very high speed travel (120-145 mph).

The above occurred in a foreign country to the North of the US:lol:

That was 35k ago,

The loss of oil was unnoticed, but I checked the oil at fill up, just like the manual told me to.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Check out the poll in post 37. Most people have no problems.

The "poll" doesn't really mean a whole lot, since there is no limit as to how many times you can vote. A person like me who is upset with their LGT can vote negatively as many times as they want. On the other side someone who absolutely loves Subaru's can vote positively as many times as they want to "stick up" for their favorite brand. I'm sure there are more good Subaru's out there than bad. The failure rate just seems to be a little high for the Legacy turbo motors.

The "poll" doesn't really mean a whole lot, since there is no limit as to how many times you can vote. A person like me who is upset with their LGT can vote negatively as many times as they want. On the other side someone who absolutely loves Subaru's can vote positively as many times as they want to "stick up" for their favorite brand. I'm sure there are more good Subaru's out there than bad. The failure rate just seems to be a little high for the Legacy turbo motors.

Or it could reflect reality. For example, I could have voted twice on turbo failure, since I'm currently on my second replacement turbo.

Archived