LegacyGT.com

Bad/Wrong Differntial fluid (Amsoil 75w90 Serve Gear gl5)

So, I changed my front Differential oil to Amsoil a couple months ago but now when it's cold out like zero degrees out the car would click while turning. It Doesn't make any noise when it's warm like close too Above freezing. I first thought it was axles but that would make noise no matter what and its not torn. Everything close to or up front has been checked. So now I wonder if its the Amsoil making it click. It never clicked last year or before I changed it to Amsoil. The noise doesn't no away if its cold out no matter how long/far I drive. It goes away it's when warmer out. It drive fine then! So do you think its the differential fluid causing this noise? The level is Full. I thought Amsoil was good! I guess Not!

The fact that it never goes away in cold weather is important, because even in cold weather the fluid will eventually heat up to a normal operating temperature. To me, this strongly suggests it is something other than the fluid itself.

Randomly - Have you checked tire pressures? I actually had some clicking the first day we got cold weather this year and discovered that one of my tires was ~10psi low. Proper pressure fixed my click.

If amsoil severe gear 75w-90 gl5 is bad or wrong fluid, I've been running bad or wrong fluid in my transmission for 17,000mi now without any issues.

It sounds like you might have lifter tick, the sound is only present when you're turning?

Yes, It only clicks when turning either direction and only when its cold out. I check the tire pressure weekly and it's been clicking for 2-3 months now. I and many mechanic's don't know what it is, So I haven't fixed anything yet! So do you think it's the Diff fluid or not! It never made noise before I changed it out and it's still notchy/not smooth when shifting. The only thing Mechanics saw was a little leak on the right inner boot clamp but they say that is fine and wouldn't cause clicking only when cold! So how about the axle. Could the little leak cause clicking when cold out. Everything else is fine.

Axle should be fine. But changing it is relitively cheap if you think that's the issue. But a bad CV will make noise all the time when you turn.

It's cheap enough the replace the tranny oil too. I'd start there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Again, IMO the fact that it never quits clicking even after extended driving is significant. If the fluid were the issue when it's cold, then eventually the clicking should go away as it came into the normal operating temp.

Does it happen turning in both directions?

How many miles are on your axles? Agree w/Max that a bad CV wouldn't normally be affected by ambient temperature.

I don't think anyone has had a problem with the Subaru ExtraS fluid that is actually spec'd for your car. It's certainly cheaper and easier to replace the fluid than the axle if you are just experimenting.

I've been using the regular Amsoil 75W-90 (not the Severe Gear version). They appear to be almost the same except the regular flows better at colder temperatures (if I'm reading it right; they are pretty close, with the biggest difference being across the coldest temperatures). You can always swap out the 1 qt of fluid to see if it makes any difference. My prediction is it won't.

Do you go to the race track often? If not, then put in an appropriate fluid.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I've been using the regular Amsoil 75W-90 (not the Severe Gear version). They appear to be almost the same except the regular flows better at colder temperatures (if I'm reading it right; they are pretty close, with the biggest difference being across the coldest temperatures). You can always swap out the 1 qt of fluid to see if it makes any difference. My prediction is it won't.

Do you go to the race track often? If not, then put in an appropriate fluid.

So you are running a GL-4 fluid instead of GL-5? Or do you mean you are running the "Long Life" instead of Severe Gear?

I run the long life GL5. If I got into summer racing I would choose something much more serious. Severe Gear 75W-90 has no practical benefit, over the long life stuff.

If the clicking IS the front diff, then there is something mechanically not right about it. Different fluids will make it louder or quieter, but the problem will still be there.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived