LegacyGT.com

Holy ****ing crap im lucky!!

ok so recently there has been a loud screw from my engine. started the moment i started the car after work one day. i thought... it was the water pump.

so i drove home. engine scream but running great. never over heated.

so today. a week later im taking the timing belt cover off and i find a perfect water pump....

and a decentigraded toothed idler,

18 metal balls wondering around.

Sharp chewed up bits of bearing shielding

2 teeth off the belt

a piece of that chewed on bearing lodged in the belt and torn.

and metal dust everywhere

THAT is one lucky motor and belt. the belt was fairly slack and the belt could of got cut worse and broke.

i am not selling this car. haha its a damn miracle that the motor dosen't have bent valves.

Same thing happened to me in my old Forester. I had just bought it, and just put a clutch in it and was driving it to school. Started screaming, and I thought for SURE it was the water pump. The car overheated a few times, and I found a hole in the radiator. Ordered a water pump, timing belt, and radiator. Pulled everything apart and BB's fell out of the timing cover when I opened it up.

Replaced the radiator, timing belt, and idler pulley. The tensioner was also toast (probably from the belt bouncing around because of the idler). Replaced the tensioner too, but left the water pump alone. Car ran great after that!

I was DARN close to a problem. The timing belt had jumped 2 teeth on the drivers side exhaust cam. One more and disaster would have struck.

this is why you ALWAYS replace the idlers and tensioner when you do a timing belt/water pump. ALWAYS.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I thought these were non interference.

Edit: until production year 1996. :)

That's right.

I don't know if ANY EJ25's were non-interference. Can anyone confirm that?

I DO remember that you could drive a first generation Legacy until the timing belt broke, and how some people used that as an indicator of when to change it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

all ej25s are interference.

and in a non interference engine you would not have valve damage.

but the added cost of the complete kit from ebay vs. one extra timing belt job is a no brainer. doing the belt 4 times in 200k instead of 3 times on a non interference engine does not make good financial sense. the labor is a killer if you are paying for it. and even if you do it your self, are you going to do it on the side of the road or have it towed.

replace the idlers, all of them, every time.

On a non-interference motor, nothing happens. The valves snap shut, and the engine stops running, and it wont restart.

I remember people telling my mom how they had problems with their Legacys back in the day (she had an ultra-rare 92 Touring Wagon). That at 100,000 miles the timing belt had broken and the car needed to be towed to the dealership. More of an annoyance, since the timing belt on an EJ22 was replaced almost as easily as replacing spark plugs.

Johnegg - I'm not sure I follow your post. Who would do a timing belt every 50,000 miles?

As I said before, replace all idlers and tensioner every time.

the timing belt interval on the ej22 90 -98 is every 60k miles. if you have to do an extra one because you did not replace an idler and it fails and destroys your belt, if you have to do an extra one, any money you saved on parts by not replacing the idlers is wasted . and of course starting in 97 the ej22 is interference.

the belt interval on the ej25 is 105k. but again, if you don't replace the idler and it fails now you really have made a foolish decision that is going to cost you REAL money.

you and i agree. replace the idlers.

i still haven't figured out what engine 'myrust' has in his car. he said it was an ej25 but if it's a '' red 95 GT sedan'' as his bio says then it would either have to be a trans plant or he isn't in the US, maybe?

no. i drove it home and parked it. toke it apart last weekend..

and yes. i have a engine swap... its a ej25 with a 4 eat transmission on a 95 l body with the gt hood, wing, and lips, and riding on a 1.5 lift with a 5 percent larger aspect ratio tires. and for brake im running cycro treat slotted in the front with green stuff pads and just new standard brakes in the back. trunk is gutted and rubber lined, roof of car is gutted and rubber lined(undercoating) for insulations and noise. no bumper. no inner fenders. and engine bay re arranged to my liking.

Archived