LegacyGT.com

Haunted stereo/center console?

I've had my Legacy GT for about 3 weeks now and while most things are great I seem to experiencing this very strange intermittent problem.

Basically whenever I'm driving with a CD playing at a decent level (volume 11 or so) every so often the center console display for both the stereo and HVAC blink off and then back on. Occasionally when this happens the volume "automatically" lowers itself to volume 9. It's all very "Poltergeist".

Naturally this happens only occasionally, and I haven't been able to figure out a pattern. I'm afraid of taking it to the dealer because i'm 99% certain they'll tell me they couldn't find anything wrong (and I really don't want to go through all that hassle just to hear those words).

For what it's worth when I purchased the car I paid extra for the subwoofer so they had to install it before I picked it up.

Has anyone else experienced these weird happenings? Any guess as to what the problem might be, a short? Any guess as to why it only happens intermittently?

many thanks in advance!

I have had no such problems. Just take it to the dealer and tell them you want them to re-seat all the connectors on the back.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Hmm, perhaps one of the connections is a bit loose from the radio to wiring harness in back after the subwoofer install? Fairly easy to pop the radio/hvac stack out and check...

-B

thanks B, but I'm not sure if "Fairly easy" for you means the same for me. Do you have any instructions/links on how to do so? I've seen several different procedures on this forum but am curious what worked for you. thanks again!

thanks B, but I'm not sure if "Fairly easy" for you means the same for me. Do you have any instructions/links on how to do so? I've seen several different procedures on this forum but am curious what worked for you. thanks again!

do a search for "Vacation Pictures"...it will give you everything you need to know about taking apart the panels and getting to all the wiring for everything on the car.

What's funny is that I read this thread yesterday, and I thought "Wow, that seems really improbable." Then on my way home from work last night, the volume on my stereo would bounce around between 7 and 12. Weird. I'll check it out and I concur with eamiller in that when wiring is loose bad things start happening.

Apparently the wiring harness for the steering-mounted audio buttons is in all the cars even if you don't have those controls.

Perhaps they somehow touch in there? There was one user whose radio would switch station when he turned the steering. The harness was at fault.

Really? That's cool.. SO, those of us with a 5EAT and shifter buttons could possibly hook up one set of the steering-wheel buttons for volume control or something? :-)

HV

What's funny is that I read this thread yesterday, and I thought "Wow, that seems really improbable." Then on my way home from work last night, the volume on my stereo would bounce around between 7 and 12. Weird. I'll check it out and I concur with eamiller in that when wiring is loose bad things start happening.
hey hey. just curious - what exactly are you going to do to "check it out"? I ask cuz i'll probably need to do the same thing and would like to know what i'm looking for before I take the dash apart :) thanks!

Archived