LegacyGT.com

Did my turbo die?

That's what I thought (about a damaged turbo making noise). So, I just did a test run. Maybe I missed a noise or something. I drove it 1/4 mile up the road and punched it. Same no power, then a surge of it. I turned around and floored it once more and its back to no power.

Turbo? Waste Gate stuck open? Leak of some kind, maybe vacuum? Something unplug itself or break? I'm out of ideas of what it could be. That and it's really cold outside lol

I have a nice extended unlimited mile warranty on it, so I called the dealer and told them what I've said here. Right now I'm waiting on their call back.

I've seen turbos fail and not make a single noise, but its typically due to some sort of seizure. Last one I saw was an A4 that had a blocked oil feed line that wiped out the bearing, put the exhaust turbine in contact with the housing and knocked it completely off the shaft. Didn't make any noise that was audible in the cabin.

Not saying that is what happened in your case, but its possible.

I am letting the dealer worry about it. :) I get very lazy when it's cold outside too. But, it's killing me not knowing what's wrong with my car.

I hear ya. If it's something like a clogged cat though, you wouldn't be able to figure it out anyway without taking apart of bunch of things. Keep us updated on what the problem turns out to be.

I had that happen on an Eclipse a few times. It was my turbo to intercooler pipe that kept getting blown off from the pressure. Hose clamp was loose. I don't know if the Legacy is set up the same way. I just got mine this winter, and I don't like doing any car stuff when it's cold out. So I haven't really poked around under the hood yet, but the symptoms were the same. Very low power when stepping on the gas.

This power loss thing happened to me last night and again this morning. It seems to be making a vacuum leak type noise when I should be hearing the turbo spool up. I'm taking it apart tonight to see if I messed something up when trying to replace my intake gaskets.

This is not the same problem as I was having before - was getting the p0171 hence the gaskets.

the PITA is no CEL, I'm going to scan it tonight and see if I get anything. I'm hoping just a turbo inlet problem or I forgot to tighten something. I put it back together on Saturday and it was fine until last night....

:mad:

LOL - intercooler wasn't completely tightened down. Just took a couple of days for it to get loose...

I had that happen on an Eclipse a few times. It was my turbo to intercooler pipe that kept getting blown off from the pressure. Hose clamp was loose. I don't know if the Legacy is set up the same way. I just got mine this winter, and I don't like doing any car stuff when it's cold out. So I haven't really poked around under the hood yet, but the symptoms were the same. Very low power when stepping on the gas.

On the LGT, the IC bolts directly to the turbo on the hot side and the throttle body side is connect by a short hose that has a nasty habit of coming off.

But if its as serious a loss of power as you're saying, odds are a post-turbo vacuum leak would throw a code. My throttle body hose came off a few weeks ago and it sounded horrendous and I eventually threw a code for the bank being too rich. So if there's no code and no power and its a vacuum leak, its probably the turbo inlet.

It's cool; I'm with the band

i think my 2ndry turbo has gone on my 96 LGT . its making a wierd sound when my BOV gose off ..... not the *BOV NOISE* like a loude SHHHHH behind the bov.... i am only spooling up the 1st turbo atm prity scared about the 2ndry.... but when i do try n punch it it goes to the 2nd and u here that start to spool then dies in the arse..... i dono what to do ai.... n e ideas???? this is a 96 BG5 with an ej20hd wif 202XXX and iv only just bought

OK....I got my car back 2 days ago. It runs and drives like normal and the subie mech found nothing wrong. And yes, I've been driving it...hard a couple times. No problems. The mech said to bring the car in immediately if it happens again, no appointment needed. So, all is good :)

Archived