LegacyGT.com

2007 2.5i with Cams, Exhaust, Intake, etc...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update:

I made some calculations regarding the headers' influence on head flow...

From my logs, the head flow was improved, on average, by 2.53% after putting on the headers (4.64% up top, and 6.7% on the mid-range -- it seemed to lose some flow between 4600 and 5900 RPM; it was actually quite substantial: 23.92%).

Graph:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff279/laplacexformofs/headers.jpg

wow that weld work is really good!!!! im a noob to the whole subaru scene I want a leggy that'll put me in the seat when i hit the gas without the expensive cost of a turbo and ur descriptions and charts gave me very good ideas!!!! thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow that weld work is really good!!!! im a noob to the whole subaru scene I want a leggy that'll put me in the seat when i hit the gas without the expensive cost of a turbo and ur descriptions and charts gave me very good ideas!!!! thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Easy buy a turbo Subaru :)

As for the rest of us

^^ good luck

LOL

Only one option to rule them all, one option to end all other options and that is a turbo kit

I agree that the turbo setup is the way to go, but I like when a person does something that is less than common, for reasons of his own. To some, this all might seem stupid to mod something that will always be slow compared to its turbo brother. But I like something out of the norm. Subarus are really not the "norm" anyway, but to mod a nonturbo subby is even less norm. But very impressive none the less. To the OP. You should quickly fab up a 2.5" single exhaust and do a few pulls. I bet the low and midrange torque will pick up substantially. Just for some comparisons.

I agree that the turbo setup is the way to go, but I like when a person does something that is less than common, for reasons of his own. To some, this all might seem stupid to mod something that will always be slow compared to its turbo brother. But I like something out of the norm. Subarus are really not the "norm" anyway, but to mod a nonturbo subby is even less norm. But very impressive none the less. To the OP. You should quickly fab up a 2.5" single exhaust and do a few pulls. I bet the low and midrange torque will pick up substantially. Just for some comparisons.

Thanks for the support, opposed4!!!

Yeah, eventually I will go turbo -- I just wanted to see how far I could go while still being N/A...

WRT the 2.5" exhaust stuff -- I doubt I could talk Chamb-o at the shop into doing that (lol)...I did have a (really) crappy 2.5" exhaust on my car before the 3" mandrel one and it was nothing but gains after going to the bigger diameter.

I'll keep everyone posted with the happenings of the N/A build stuff -- it's nice to see that there is interest in what I'm doing :).

wow that weld work is really good!!!!

Chamb-o (well -- his real name is Mike; the one who fabricated the exhaust at our shop) says thanks for the comment on his welds!

He did do an awesome job with the TIG welder...

im a noob to the whole subaru scene I want a leggy that'll put me in the seat when i hit the gas without the expensive cost of a turbo

I have to admit -- after all of the mods, my leggie pulls about like a stock '02 WRX...It's still no STi, but I think the mods were worth every penny! Fair warning, though -- I got a hell of a deal with all of the labor; working at a shop and getting almost-free labor saved me about $4,700...I don't even want to remember how much I paid for parts lol.

ur descriptions and charts gave me very good ideas!!!! thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey -- thanks! I'm glad I could help! I guess being a Math nerd paid off for once :lol:.

I agree but after your read some more you will find the EJ251/3 or any other N/A EJ is a money black hole, it opens and sucks money and parts and puts out the MINIMAL yields. This is why people boost either Supercharger or Turbo. It isn't a matter of being "abnormal" or "cooler" it is a matter of pony per dollar :)

If you quantify:

Max Ponies for the least dollar = 3400(cost of kit) / 90 (low end avg hp gain) --> ~$38 per pony :)

the value goes up with tuning as you could easily pull more power out by running 8psi as opposed to the 5 psi :)

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

aren't our cars 190 at the crank and about 118-125 at the wheel ? so with the AVO turbo and an average gain of 90hp is that at the crank or at the wheels. If at the wheels 3400 bones gets us basically the power of a stock GT.

See I always kick myself for buying the 4eat. I have driven nothing but manuals my whole live and when I got this the wife demanded an auto so she could drive it when she needed to... and behold... she never freakin drives it.

Would one even be able to see these types of gains in a 4eat. I know many will flame me asking this but If i really just wanted to have fun and make it a project once I get a new car that actually has power, would it be worth it.

Subaru advertised 175hp at the crank. 1stick3pedals dyno'd his 5MT at 126hp at the wheels when he was stock, which is ~39% drivetrain loss (however you have to keep in mind that every car and dyno is different, so numbers may vary. What's important is YOUR specific baseline and YOUR specific gains).

He ended up with 201hp at the wheels with 6psi, so if we multiply his ~39% drivetrain loss, it equates to 280hp at the crank. Also keep in mind that the AVO turbo kit on a 2.5i produces boost much sooner than a stock LGT.

Baseline on the 4EAT may be a bit lower due to the torque converter (extra drivetrain loss).

Whether if it will be worth it is up to you and how much you love the car.

Archived