LegacyGT.com

Those of you with an SRI... Do it again?

*Update: I decided to go with the hybrid setup and I found a OBX CAI pipe only on Ebay for 35 bucks that has all the proper PCV line and IAC inputs in it. One for each of them actually. I have a K&N filter in the mail also with a catch can waiting for installation with the pipe and filter. I'll update this thread when I get it all finished! Here is the link to the pipe I bought...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99-SUBARU-IMPREZA-2-5RS-OBX-DIY-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-PIPE-/390289291596?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru&hash=item5adf0df94c

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of installing an aftermarket intake on my 97' Legacy Outback and wanted to get some insight from those of you who have a SRI on your Legacies/Outbacks. I have a few different ideas in mind with the first one being an Ebay SRI (w/ the 3 ports), MAF adapter and cone filter. And the second one would be a cone filter and MAF adapter with a 3" pipe replacing the accordian pipe and then using the stock torque box, so kind of a hybrid.

My goal here is to get a little more power and better mpg's. I know the MPG part is debatable because you seem to drive harder with the intake noise but I drive my car like a grandpa usually. It has a 5MT trans so it feels pretty peppy already but anything that could help I'm game for.

So if any of you that have some sort of aftermarket intake could chime in with your setup and thoughts/feelings on it that would really help me make up my mind! Thanks.

Robbie

So I just refined my search and found a few threads that review different intake setups and I think I'm sold on the Ebay intake with a custom heatshield to help block the heat. Instead of using the 90 degree fitting into the rubber coupler I am going to use a barbed/threaded pipe fitting and thread it into the side of the intake pipe and seal it and run a new line from the IAC to the fitting. This just seems a little more rigid and like it would seal better (less leaks).

But sorry for making yet another copy thread of the intake debockle that has been discussed numerous times. My bad...

I also plan on running a stock WRX cat-back exhaust and eventually the MSD Neon coil upgrade. I'm working on making some conversion harnesses with harness ends from the junkyard.

Robbie

I used 2.2 intake piping (straight pipe with all of the egr inlets), a maf adapter, and a cone filter. For $30, I'm really happy with the set-up, and there's hardly any heatsoak because of the plastic and the blocker plate being removed on the hoodscoop (I've done thermal testing to back that up). I've noticed a little bump in mpgs, but definitely noticed an increase in throttle response with the new set-up.

With that said, I've heard good things about the ebay intakes too.

Ya I looked at the stock straight intake pipe in the JY the other day but the inner diameter looks pretty small. Here is the link to the Ebay intake I was looking at...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-01-IMPREZA-2-2L-2-5L-CHROME-SHORT-RAM-AIR-INTAKE-/170596561898?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru|Model%3AImpreza&hash=item27b858f3ea

This one has a third port (in the pic anyway) but it looks a little too small to supply enough air for the IAC. I've built an intake in the past and I had choked the IAC down to a small vacuum line like that and if you got of the throttle fast it would just die. So I'm gonna try and find a 1/2" port to use instead.

I thought of another idea similar to 0tyrael0's custom intake below...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/custom-intake-152431.html

I would do the 2.75" to 3" elbow off the throttle body, then a 3" to 4" 45 degree elbow with a piece of 4" exhaust tubing about 4" long and then a 4" to 3" adapter to the MAF. This way I have something to weld some solid ports into instead of just pushing the fitting into the rubber. I know that method works but the idea of solidly sealed and welded ports just eases my mind. LOL...

Decisions decisions...

So I'm going to go with kind of a hybrid setup. I just found a K&N panel filter on NASIOC so I bought it. I'm going to keep the stock airbox in place with the K&N filter and replace the accordian pipe with a piece of 3" exhaust tubing with a welded in bung for the IAC tube and keep the torque box. I am going to try and find a torque box from an ~05' Impreza as theirs have a 3" inlet instead of the 2.5" inlet on ours.

I'm pondering what to do with the snorkus though. I've read a huge thread on NASIOC about how that stabilizes the MAF voltage but then I've read good reviews about people removing them. I'm going to pull mine out and look at it. I'm thinking I might find an extra and experiment with it. I'm thinking of just using the elbow part that plugs into the airbox so it is sucking from the fender instead of going into the fender and then back into the engine bay like it is stock.

Ummmm, which ever one you said you had? ^^^^(above). LOL....

I assumed this meant you were trying to sell an intake setup?

oh ya, i have a smooth intake tube that i never installed becuase i also have the one with the ribs (turbulence), Maf adapter and cone.. all ebay, all new, all cheap, lol

Archived