LegacyGT.com

Need opnions. Fix or Sell

So it keeps bugging me I have low compression in Cylinder 3.

Thought I would just have the heads rebuilt and all of that. Seems that will cost quite a heft fee of around $600-700 with all the parts and machine work.

Then I start thinking while the block is out I should replace the piston rings/seals. But I believe I have to split the block halves? This is just getting too far for me.

I can't seem to find any engines local that are in GOOD condition that don't cost $600-$1100. So that doesn't seem to be on my list and Tigerjap has the JDM EJ25's now for $1,038 w/ shipping. Instead of the ~$800.

I can't just "deal with it" because it bugs me and takes the fun out of driving the car knowing I have these issues.

Also the oil pan needs to be replaced. Just seems like so much $$$ just to get it where it should be. I need suggestions. Sell it? Or attempt to fix it and be out of a car for quite some time (since I will have to work outside in the cold at the curb)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This was a serious thread. What was said before really seemed to have people ticked off. So I just let it be. Not sure why it has to follow me everywhere now. Because of a comment I made that turned into a war.

I contemplated this with my car too. My parents said not to sell it. Why? Because you know that the car you have now is reliable so why not fix it because you know it will just add to the longjevity of the car. If you sell and then buy a different car you don't know where you stand as far as the previous owner servicing the car (unless they have records) and you could open up a whole new bunch of problems. So I ended up putting the money into my car and couldn't be happier with that decision. Also my parents have had issues with getting lemon cars in the past so we tend to fix our cars out of fear of getting another lemon!

Wow. Way to make me feel like crap on a Friday night. Didn't need to remember that. A friend of many on LGT who died in a tragic motorcycle accident.

Not my intention. Was always curious as I said. I apologize for that. Just wish you guys would stop feeling the need to troll me. Anyways going to get back on topic with this.

@Red beast it is a 96 L with the 2.2

^ this

You don't sound like you re into it.

It's more so the cost and the space I don't have to work on it. I would love to keep this car going as it would be hard to get rid of it and I have had fun with it.

But it just seems things keep piling on top. Just becoming a hassle with my limited space.

Archived