LegacyGT.com

Perrin silicone intake tube

GTTuner

Hey Guys, Working on a customers car yesterday, replaced a dead oxygen sensor, after replacement STFT was +25% at idle. Removed the top mount and found it leaking at the coupler. Fixed that, still getting +25%. Fixed another post MAF leak along the backside of the intake. Got trims down a couple of percent but I suspect a split or damaged intake tube. Sets a bank 1 lean code after idling a couple of minutes. The MAF scaling seems OK from what I could see (K&N intake).

Question is this inlet fits like crap, is it common for these to leak and where? The connection to the turbo looks OK, when I spray carb cleaner down in that area (which you cannot see unless you disassemble) the trims drop down to normal. A leak test was done, I found the first leak quickly. I suspect the hose that goes up to the BOV is leaking under the intake but I cannot get to it easily and another leak test was not showing anything. I told him to get the old intake tube before we rip off the intake and top mount.

Any input to this?

Hey Guys, Working on a customers car yesterday, replaced a dead oxygen sensor, after replacement STFT was +25% at idle. Removed the top mount and found it leaking at the coupler. Fixed that, still getting +25%. Fixed another post MAF leak along the backside of the intake. Got trims down a couple of percent but I suspect a split or damaged intake tube. Sets a bank 1 lean code after idling a couple of minutes. The MAF scaling seems OK from what I could see (K&N intake).

Question is this inlet fits like crap, is it common for these to leak and where? The connection to the turbo looks OK, when I spray carb cleaner down in that area (which you cannot see unless you disassemble) the trims drop down to normal. A leak test was done, I found the first leak quickly. I suspect the hose that goes up to the BOV is leaking under the intake but I cannot get to it easily and another leak test was not showing anything. I told him to get the old intake tube before we rip off the intake and top mount.

Any input to this?

Those inlet tubes - all of them IMHO, are junk. Even if there are no issues, which there always are, they do not provide any benefit - all pain, no gain.

Those inlet tubes - all of them IMHO, are junk. Even if there are no issues, which there always are, they do not provide any benefit - all pain, no gain.

My thoughts exactly, I don't see the need for one esp. with the stock turbo.

^ +1 -- the stock one is a bad joke.

GTT, i don't think the bov area would rip though all those plys under any normal circumstances, but a leak is certainly a possibility if the original installer didn't really do it up for keeps the first go-around.

personally, i've never had any issues with my inet at all, but i really did up those clamps/hoses/fittings and made certain to angle the gear bolts for occasional tightening access, to make sure i'd never have to get all the way in there again.

is the car using the stock bpv hose? it fits the aluminum fitting supplied with the inlet like shit (hose is too small for it). if the installer got fed up, and only lipped it on before clamping, that's likely your culprit. if you can't get in there with an extension to the head of that worm gear to tighten it to a resolve, i'm afraid the whole lot may have to come out to be done up correctly :(

an alternative might be to use a different bpv hose, and try to get it onto the fitting without inlet removal.

best luck.

• 8 months later...

Archived