LegacyGT.com

LIttle smoke coming from engine bay this morning

c-lo

bump-- any more details I hasta da smoke too...

:confused: what do you mean? have you looked at your car to find out what the problem is yet? number of issues could exist

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Definitely better than it was (no more smoke out of the scoop) and I haven't noticed the smell as much recently as I did after I first did the gasket. Still would like to see where the put-it-back-together direction are in the vac pics.

:confused: what do you mean? have you looked at your car to find out what the problem is yet? number of issues could exist

I've seen some smoke like others on this thread. There was some oil on the passenger side valve cover (noticed during the last oil change). I wiped everything clean and will look again in a few hundred miles. I bet there's a valve cover gasket and 10mm socket in my future....

• 1 month later...

I've also recently come across this issue with my car as well. Looking down from the top of the engine, I can't really see much. What's the best way (ie. easiest) to get a good look at the passenger-side valve cover?

Should I take the wheel off and then remove all the fun plastic trimmings for the wheel well? From under the engine, shouldn't that area be covered by the undertray?

I've also recently come across this issue with my car as well. Looking down from the top of the engine, I can't really see much. What's the best way (ie. easiest) to get a good look at the passenger-side valve cover?

Should I take the wheel off and then remove all the fun plastic trimmings for the wheel well? From under the engine, shouldn't that area be covered by the undertray?

I don't think I ever got a really good look at the cover itself but with a flashlight I was able to see the UP well enough to see that it was stained and that when I had just returned from a drive the source of the smoke was coming from that area. You would have to remove the under cover in order to see the rocker cover from the bottom. Despite not using any caulk apparently just changing the gasket was successful in fixing mine. It took a while after the new gasket to get all the old stuff burned off the UP but it's now been quite a while since I smelled anything.

I've got the same problem. Grey-ish smoke from the hood. With the hood popped, its coming from under the turbo. Smells very much like a burning tire or belt. It only happens on days where the temperature is under 50*f. I've figured out that if I don't use the heater, the smoke goes away for the most part. I'm not sure if the heat has anything to do with it, but its just something I've noticed. I had the problem last winter, but it went away completely when spring time rolled around. I'm going to take it to the dealer next week to have them look at it.

I've got the same problem. Grey-ish smoke from the hood. With the hood popped, its coming from under the turbo.

Not sure what it might be from your description but yours is a different problem than most of us on this thread have experienced. The rocker cover gasket that apparently develops a leak most is on the passenger side of the engine. Mine just slowly got worse regardless of the weather.

• 4 years later...

Does anyone know what an average shop charge is to replace the passenger side valve cover gasket?

How long did it take for you to do it yourself?

Just saw a little smoke for first time today. Barely noticeable. I actually smelled something first and looked around. Coming from up-pipe area on passenger side down low.

Archived