LegacyGT.com

225/45/17 Winter Tires Rubbing!

maniaxzero

So the snow hit the northeast and my stock potenza re92s werent cutting it in the snow. (I blew through a red light and almost got T-boned)

I decided to replace them with blizzak WS60's. After reading the forum, the general consensus is that 225/45/17 tires will not rub on the stock suspension.

So I bought a set of blizzak 225/45/17, threw 'em on, and they're absolutely amazing in the snow.

Now the only problem is the Front tires sounds like it's rubbing everytime I brake, or turn corners. I can also feel the vibrations of rubbing. I drove for one day like this, and I checked the tires yesterday, the inner edge(near strut) of the front tires were already wore out like 2mm already.

I havent been able to pinpoint where it's rubbing. There's clearance when the car is not moving but it's definitely rubbing. My guess is that it's rubbing against the strut unit when moving

My stock suspension seems to be fine, no noise, no bounce from the struts.

Do you guys think an alignment would fix this problem or would I need some spacers?

for spacers, can I get away with 5mm spacers without changing the the studs?

This thing has me scratching my head. why would my 225/45/17 be rubbing. and why does it happen when I brake?

Any insight would be hugely appreciated.

//Edit: My suspension/wheel setup is completely stock btw

//edit 2: UPDATE: I swapped the tires in the back(more wear, less tread) to the front and the front to the back. The rubbing has reduced. I dont feel the vibrations when I turn and brake anymore. But I still hear some rubbing noise.

I looked at the struts and fenderliners... but couldn't locate any rubbing spots. I took some pics with my phone. It's getting a bit late, I will post them tomorrow.

I'm thinking I may need to invest in some 5mm spacers?

Are you SURE they are 225/45/17?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Maybe your front wheel bearings are really bad?

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of folks running 225/45/17's on stock suspension.

You should be able to see rub marks SOMEWHERE. Post some pictures, and maybe someone will be able to spot something awry.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+LM-60&partnum=245HR7LM60&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+V12+evo+K110

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiWinterContact+TS810

I cannot find WS60.

I have both summer and winter tires 225/45R17: Continental TS810 and Hankook Evo V12. No problems with rubbing.

If size you list is correct and you do have factory suspension then something is not true.

Are you original (first owner)?

Krzys

UPDATE: I swapped the tires in the back(more wear, less tread) to the front and the front to the back. The rubbing has reduced. I dont feel the vibrations when I turn and brake anymore. But I still hear some rubbing noise.

I looked at the struts and fenderliners... but couldn't locate any rubbing spots. I took some pics with my phone. It's getting a bit late, I will post them tomorrow.

I'm thinking I may need to invest in some 5mm spacers?

Maybe your front wheel bearings are really bad?

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of folks running 225/45/17's on stock suspension.

You should be able to see rub marks SOMEWHERE. Post some pictures, and maybe someone will be able to spot something awry.

Front wheel bearings? Wouldn't it make noise when I'm driving?

I will try to post some pics tomorrow

im running 225/45/17 on my stockies, although not snow tires

no rubbing at all till i slammed my shit

Maybe snow tires have a more aggressive tread and sidewall?

im running dunlop m2 235/45/17 with rallitek springs and im running pretty good for the most part besides some tight turns

Are you on stock wheels?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+LM-60&partnum=245HR7LM60&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+V12+evo+K110

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiWinterContact+TS810

I cannot find WS60.

I have both summer and winter tires 225/45R17: Continental TS810 and Hankook Evo V12. No problems with rubbing.

If size you list is correct and you do have factory suspension then something is not true.

Are you original (first owner)?

Krzys

The size I listed is correct. I'm not original owner, but i'm almost 100% certain that the suspension is stock.

Some do but if WS60 has similar specs to TS810, Honkook Evo V12 (go to Bridgestone web page and check, I did not find them on tirerack) then they should fit.

If they don't then i'm almost certain that the suspension is NOT stock.

Krzys

PS I have never heard before that people were unable to fit 225/45R17 on their Legacies

• 3 weeks later...

I'm running 225/45/17 winters on my car, and no rubbing whats so ever... I am running them on V7 STi wheels though, which have a +53 offset and not +55...

There's something wrong with your suspension, could be alignment... too much toe and camber on stock setup?

JP

+1 on the bearings and or camber. lift the front wheels off the ground and grasp the tire at the top and bottom and rock forward and back. there should be no discernable play at the hub.

too much negative camber(tire leans in at the top) lowers the car slightly, and brings the inside wall of the tire close to the strut at the top. run your fingers between the inside edge of the tread and the strut perch. any thing less than the thickness of your pinky finger is too close and may contact under stress.

Btw I'm running 205/50 17 and my car is lowered 1.9" in the front on H&R springs no prob, mind you my rims are a different offset. skinnier tires cut the snow and slush better anyway, and stick to ice better too. seen any WRC cars running fat tires in the snow stages?? me either

Im just a mechanic.... my 2c

How many miles?

Stock struts rarely last longer than 60k.

You just may have one weaker than another because of age.

Noticed you state that one group of tires has more tread than the other.

Make sure they stay withing allowed tolerance for diameter difference, so you don't mess up center diff.

O.

Do you have a broken sway bar endlink?

not that I know of.

+1 on the bearings and or camber. lift the front wheels off the ground and grasp the tire at the top and bottom and rock forward and back. there should be no discernable play at the hub.

too much negative camber(tire leans in at the top) lowers the car slightly, and brings the inside wall of the tire close to the strut at the top. run your fingers between the inside edge of the tread and the strut perch. any thing less than the thickness of your pinky finger is too close and may contact under stress.

Btw I'm running 205/50 17 and my car is lowered 1.9" in the front on H&R springs no prob, mind you my rims are a different offset. skinnier tires cut the snow and slush better anyway, and stick to ice better too. seen any WRC cars running fat tires in the snow stages?? me either

Im just a mechanic.... my 2c

would definitely give those items a check when I have a chance. Just been very busy. Thanks for the advise

How many miles?

Stock struts rarely last longer than 60k.

You just may have one weaker than another because of age.

Noticed you state that one group of tires has more tread than the other.

Make sure they stay withing allowed tolerance for diameter difference, so you don't mess up center diff.

O.

i got 45k miles. Yes I've been reading how subaru's have to have tires with similar treadwear even within same model. The tread depth between the two pairs are not that far apart so I'm not too worried about it. Thanks for the heads up tho

I'm running 225/45/17 winters on my car, and no rubbing whats so ever... I am running them on V7 STi wheels though, which have a +53 offset and not +55...

There's something wrong with your suspension, could be alignment... too much toe and camber on stock setup?

JP

Car drives straight with no signs of tire wear. I know I still cant be 100% without putting on alignment machine

Archived