LegacyGT.com

I love my local subaru dealership

Ok so when I bought my car about 6 months ago the second day I bought it the CEL came on and went to limp mode. So I took it to subaru to get it looked at and they did the diagnosis and said I needed a new throttle position sensor, new harnesses/relay for it and the grand total was......1100 bucks. So I politely decined the repair and did some research.

I bought a used gas pedal assembly for 50 bucks and fixxed it for a good 2 months. Then this last week when school started back it it all went to hell. Driving to and from school (20ish miles) Limp mode kicked in (28 mph top speed in 5th gear WOT unless down hill new top speed 39 MPH!!!!!) So I oviously couldnt keep risking missing class and getting dropped.

So I took it to Meineke (local repair shop) to see what they said about it. I had explained what was wrong and what subaru recommened fearing the worst. But after a wopping 0.7 hours of labor and $59.50 my car was fixxed!! YAY!! Just a smidge cheaper than subaru. Turns out the engine TPS was corroded to hell. Why couldnt subaru have thought of that? It just seemed like they were trying to take advantage of me/ take my money. Thats how I see it at least.

Needless to say I found my new repair shop since all I've hear from this Meineke shop is good. My buddy brings his s13 rb25 there all the time and give him great prices and service.

Many current auto techs are only trained to plug in a code reader, run a list of diagnostics and remove and replace parts prescribed by the computer program. What is lost in many repair shops is the hands on ability to diagnose problems with mechanical ability, experience and logic. Troubleshooting experience using human intuition aided by electronics can save a lot of money, time, and frustration.

In my line of work, if there was lots of corrosion the "correct" repair would be a replacement. You never know how much internal corrosion may exist tho im sure that Subaru's TPS's are probably pretty well sealed.

If they had found the corrosion, I think they should have at least given you the option and ask if you wanted them to try cleaning up the corrosion with no guarantee or just replace the part...

The best mechanic reads the forums then fixes it himself.

Thats what i try to do but im no expert. It completely passed my mind to check the connection in the motor for some reason. I do a lotof reasearch on here to save as much as i can. And im not saying that you should all just take your cars there. Im just saying that im glad they are a honest shop because my last week of school really sucked going 30 mph on the freeway to get to class 4 days to and from. Not safe but i had to get there somehow.

Many current auto techs are only trained to plug in a code reader, run a list of diagnostics and remove and replace parts prescribed by the computer program. What is lost in many repair shops is the hands on ability to diagnose problems with mechanical ability, experience and logic. Troubleshooting experience using human intuition aided by electronics can save a lot of money, time, and frustration.

This sounds like the Air Force's avionics training program.....box swappers FTW....lol

:yeahthat:

It's like going to Autozone. You can give them the part number of a part made by a mfgr and they can't find it without asking all about the year, make, model, motor, tranny, etc. It's not because it's not in their computer that way, they don't know how to look it up that way.

It's like going to Autozone. You can give them the part number of a part made by a mfgr and they can't find it without asking all about the year, make, model, motor, tranny, etc. It's not because it's not in their computer that way, they don't know how to look it up that way.

Idiocracy?.......It's got Electrolytes!

:yeahthat:

Ok so when I bought my car about 6 months ago the second day I bought it the CEL came on and went to limp mode. So I took it to subaru to get it looked at and they did the diagnosis and said I needed a new throttle position sensor, new harnesses/relay for it and the grand total was......1100 bucks. So I politely decined the repair and did some research.

I bought a used gas pedal assembly for 50 bucks and fixxed it for a good 2 months. Then this last week when school started back it it all went to hell. Driving to and from school (20ish miles) Limp mode kicked in (28 mph top speed in 5th gear WOT unless down hill new top speed 39 MPH!!!!!) So I oviously couldnt keep risking missing class and getting dropped.

So I took it to Meineke (local repair shop) to see what they said about it. I had explained what was wrong and what subaru recommened fearing the worst. But after a wopping 0.7 hours of labor and $59.50 my car was fixxed!! YAY!! Just a smidge cheaper than subaru. Turns out the engine TPS was corroded to hell. Why couldnt subaru have thought of that? It just seemed like they were trying to take advantage of me/ take my money. Thats how I see it at least.

Needless to say I found my new repair shop since all I've hear from this Meineke shop is good. My buddy brings his s13 rb25 there all the time and give him great prices and service.

I'm confused.... the dealer had initially said your throttle position sensor (TPS) was bad, the dealer did think of that... did you take that as the pedal assembly? Trying to put two and two together.... Did Meineke just clean the TPS (throttle position sensor)? $59.50 is too cheap for a new one... At any rate, glad it's fixed and working for you cheaply!

This sounds like the Air Force's avionics training program.....box swappers FTW....lol

That's standard these days regardless of what you work on.

It's almost on that level with bicycles too, but they don't have any codes yet...

453747.png

Archived